Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Your progress with the lists is really putting me to shame! Am particularly impressed with how much you've managed to get done on your house... we have loads to do but it never seems to happen. I think it was easier (and quicker!) when I had my own place. Maybe I should just take OH out of the decision-making, I think it would speed things up a lot :)

Good luck with your course, it sounds great.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Alchemilla, New Girly and Tea Lover, I think I get frustrated when jobs are half finished! Carpet has gone down in box room but I'm reluctant to move dressing table back in as it takes up so much room. I need a bedside cabinet really <wonder if my mother has one I could acquire????>

Am trying to do a financial plan for next month as need to pay for drive and am currently in interest free overdraft so it's damage limitation! I have £170 to play with but car is going to the garage today and I don't know what the cost will be! I've based my wage on what I think I will get when I go back to university so anything I get above that for the next couple of months is a bonus. :)

Am selling a few things at the moment so that will help with driveway money. Just need to eat very cheaply for 3 weeks and use hardly any petrol!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Not much happening here at the moment but I do have a few things I need to get done.

• Arrange 0% balance transfer
    • Sort out playroom (this is a neverending and thankless task!)
    • Try and declutter some things out of wardrobes to make space
    • Persuade DH to do a skip run
    • Stop lusting after newbuilds! :D
    Nothing else to report really except it's a lot harder to find fun and cheap things to do with the children when the sun isn't shining! Let's hope it is about to make a welcome return.

I'm not working this week and although I was also off last week it seemed hectic as I did some volunteering so I'm hoping for a calmer week so I can recharge my batteries.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Cath - hopefully the weather will improve for you - we've been lucky and managed several days at playparks with friends - only cost being the picnics (and an occasional icecream if there's been a van around) We've got dry weather again now, thankfully - but grey and dull.

Very impressed by all you're achieving!:j:j:j
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Hi Cath - hopefully the weather will improve for you - we've been lucky and managed several days at playparks with friends - only cost being the picnics (and an occasional icecream if there's been a van around) We've got dry weather again now, thankfully - but grey and dull.

Very impressed by all you're achieving!:j:j:j

Thanks Greent, we have had a couple of spendy afternoons involving train rides, cupcakes and ice creams but lovely memories made so all worth it.

Have booked window company so all work should start week after next and be finished by the end of the month. A driveway has just been done by the company on our road and it looks fab so I am hoping it will look even more impressive at ours as we are having more work done.

I need to do some money re-jigging which should save us some money but not getting much peace and quiet to work out the figures :)
  • CathT
    Options
    Am I sad to be excited for the work to start on the house? In 2 weeks we will have a new drive, some windows/doors and a more organised utility/downstairs wc.

Balance transfer completed so money is safely in account to pay for above. Have rejigged financial plan so that everything gets paid out of my monthly wage so we just spend DH's weekly wage. This was the plan I changed a while ago!

Now any extra funds will be paid off 0% card so it should soon come down and I will have a lovely house I don't want to sell :D
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    I would be excited too! It sounds fantastic:)
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Am I sad to be excited for the work to start on the house? In 2 weeks we will have a new drive, some windows/doors and a more organised utility/downstairs wc.

Balance transfer completed so money is safely in account to pay for above. Have rejigged financial plan so that everything gets paid out of my monthly wage so we just spend DH's weekly wage. This was the plan I changed a while ago!

Now any extra funds will be paid off 0% card so it should soon come down and I will have a lovely house I don't want to sell :D

Not sad at all - creating a home (as opposed to a house) you love is not sad! ;) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    Options
    Summer holidays have been keeping me busy. Haven't spent too much though and the work on the house is completed - for now! Just want plumber to do a it more rearranging and utility will look much better.

In bigger news - I did it! :j:j:j Mortgage balance is finally in 5 figures. We owe £99,999!!!!!
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    Congratulations!

:T:j:beer::dance:
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income