Money Moral Dilemma: Should we pay for their cut-short holiday?

Options

Comments

• SofaChi
    SofaChi Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 10:34AM
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    You say "the remaing friends suggested" and there are 6 remaining excluding you.

£150 split between 7 is £21 each.

Why fall out with 6 of your friends for the sake of £21?

Don't be mean, pay up. Next time it could be you.

£21?! where did this figure come from?

The OP went on a sailing holiday, with 9 friends. 9+1 = 10 people

3 people left. 10-3 = 7 people

The remaining friends suggested they should all give £50 each to the ones who left. That's 7 people each paying £50.

£50x7= £350

Which means the 3 that left would get £350 to share between them.

£350/3= £116.66

The 3 that left would then get £116.66 each back from the £300 they paid orginally (£250 each for the yacht + £50 each for the food = £300)

No, i do not think they should have to pay them the money.
  • Librianax
    Options
    As there will now be less of you on the boat, the money wont truly be missed, as this amount was to pay for the food. I think its only fair, as they have forfeited the largest amount of £250 each for the boat, so its a small recompense regardless of the fact it was their decision to go home. ;)
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely NO. Nuff said....
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    It doesn't actually say the £50 is for the food. But no, it was their choice to leave. I certainly wouldn't expect any money if it was me who had left early, although I might have taken a bit of the food :D
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    They paid into a kitty for food for the week, then did not eat it. If the money for food has not been spent, then fair enough, let them have their share back. If any of it has been spent, then let each of them have their 10% of the remaining amount of cash back. If it has all been spent, then they should not get any money back. You should not have to pay more for food once it has been bought, just because they chose to leave the holiday early.

They should nto see a single penny of the £250 back, since they quit.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Come to think of it.... not nuff said. It's a sailing holiday. All the food and stuff has been bought beforehand. So let me see, three leave early. You give them the money back for the food they don't eat. What happens to the food they don't eat? Throw it away at the end.... or the seven stuff themselves needlessly to use it up.... don't think so!
  • A.Jones
    Options
    Pellyman wrote: »
    Presumably the £50 for food has been paid in advance and one of the remaining six is holding the kitty. Perhaps some of the kitty was spent on the first day but, almost certainly, all of it wasn't and those who left MUST each be refunded a ninth of what remains; or a little more if what was purchased is usable by those remaining.

Why should they be given more than their fair share? They should get a tenth at most, not a ninth.
  • A.Jones
    Options
    SofaChi wrote: »
    £21?! where did this figure come from?

The OP went on a sailing holiday, with 9 friends. 9+1 = 10 people

3 people left. 10-3 = 7 people

The remaining friends suggested they should all give £50 each to the ones who left. That's 7 people each paying £50.

£50x7= £350

Which means the 3 that left would get £350 to share between them.

£350/3= £116.66

The 3 that left would then get £116.66 each back from the £300 they paid orginally (£250 each for the yacht + £50 each for the food = £300)

No, i do not think they should have to pay them the money.

It's poor wording. I assume they mean as a group they give £50 to each quitter (£150 in total), and not that each remaining person gives £50 to the group of quitters (£350) (or each remaining person gives £50 to each quitter (£1050)).
  • matchmade
    Options
    It's illogical to even think of refunding the "quitters" for their booking. What if 9 out of the 10 had left early? Would the sole remaining person consider paying back the other nine? They paid their money and they take their choice. I'm not even sure they should get their food money back if the food has already been puchased, as you're unlikely to be able to bring back any surplus.
  • djb77
    djb77 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    It states that they should all give £50 to the ones that left. If that is £50 to each of the them if the remaining seven people did that they would each get £350 which is more than the trip itself - So the answer would be No if that is the case.

But, agree with the others who said if the food money has not been spent then that should be returned if it has than I think they should not cough up any money. Some of the other friends may not be able to afford to put up any money towards the trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure