PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

Comments

• ztan
    ztan Posts: 400 Forumite
    I'm going on gut feeling, but I think our completion date is coming really close... so tonight I'm going to start dismantling our bed... it's falling apart anyway, and I feel like a bit of mattress sleeping!

Apart from putting stuff like the TV's in boxes, packing kitchen plates and pans, and our room up- we're set to go. We could pack it all up in a day if needed, so I'm hoping "the" phone call is coming soon!

I've been busy making a list of all the people we need to tell about our address changing... so far my list has the following:
    Electric
    Water
    Sky
    Council Tax
    TV Licence
    Pet Insurance
    Mobile Phone Contract Providers
    Work
    BT
    Bank- all accounts!
    Dentist
    Doctors
    DVLA
    Car Insurance
    Vets
    MFW 2010- £112,500 + 20% Equity Loan = £150,000 35 years :o
    2013- £108,877.28 + 20% / current OP = 19 years :T

Target to be Shared Equity Free- 2016
    Target for holiday to Australia- 2014
    Currently training for a Commando Challenge- drop and give me 20
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2010 at 10:58AM
    As has been mentioned before, Freecycle and Freegle are great for when it comes to Moving House.

Join the local one to where you are.... or even where you are leaving and where you are going to. You may need to explain in your application if you are applying to groups a far distance from each other as they will not understand why you want to be a member of both when they are so far away from each other.

You can list almost anything as long as it is legal and inoffensive.
    From old duvets (used for pet beds often) to cars and pots of paint.

If you are in need of something for the move you can place a Wanted message..... someone usually has what you'll need!

.... And when you've finished with your bubble wrap and boxes, offer them back on Freecycle for the next person to use!

Happy moving day to all those in the process. May it go smoothly xx

(Oh and if you are moving to a different country, don't forget that Freecycle is Worldwide!!)
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Just a little tip for cat owners, if your new home has an open chimney block up the entrance until your cat has settled in. My aunties cat shot up her chimney and didnt come down until the early hours covered in soot.
    Logic will get you from A to B but imagination can take you anywhere!
    Being honest may not get get you a lot of friends - but it will get you the right ones.
    Let your past make you better, not bitter.
  • ztan wrote: »
    I'm going on gut feeling, but I think our completion date is coming really close... so tonight I'm going to start dismantling our bed... it's falling apart anyway, and I feel like a bit of mattress sleeping!

Apart from putting stuff like the TV's in boxes, packing kitchen plates and pans, and our room up- we're set to go. We could pack it all up in a day if needed, so I'm hoping "the" phone call is coming soon!

I've been busy making a list of all the people we need to tell about our address changing... so far my list has the following:
    Electric
    Water
    Sky
    Council Tax
    TV Licence
    Pet Insurance
    Mobile Phone Contract Providers
    Work
    BT
    Bank- all accounts!
    Dentist
    Doctors
    DVLA
    Car Insurance
    Vets

dont forget to change your address and contact details with your child's school/childminder/after school club.
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    I dread moving because of our cat. He is old (15) and has never been to a cattery. Do you think moving him on a pet carrier with us in the car and then shutting him in a room in the new place with a smelly sweatshirt of my hubby's, food, water and a litter tray would work?

When I had to move my elderly cats via a 2-hour plane ride, our vet advised giving them Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy - just a drop or two on the ears where the skin is v thin. It worked a treat, calmed them down for the journey (and I have to admit I was so anxious for them that I took a good few drops myself!).
  • ztan
    ztan Posts: 400 Forumite
    cecilnat wrote: »
    dont forget to change your address and contact details with your child's school/childminder/after school club.

Luckily for me, I am child free at present, but they are good ones to remember!
    MFW 2010- £112,500 + 20% Equity Loan = £150,000 35 years :o
    2013- £108,877.28 + 20% / current OP = 19 years :T

Target to be Shared Equity Free- 2016
    Target for holiday to Australia- 2014
    Currently training for a Commando Challenge- drop and give me 20
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Just a little tip for cat owners, if your new home has an open chimney block up the entrance until your cat has settled in. My aunties cat shot up her chimney and didnt come down until the early hours covered in soot.

When I moved with my cat for the first time, I put her in the downstairs bathroom to keep her out of the way and she promptly hid in the space under the shower!

The next time, I made sure there were no spaces like that that I wouldn't be able to get her out of and put a box on its side, half turned to the wall for her to hide in instead.
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please can somebody clarify re the boiler question - is it ONLY in Scotland that the previous owner is held responsible for repair if the boiler is found to be not working after you move in?

thanks
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please can you advise HOW to use a mobile phone as a modem...thanks. I will be moving shortly to a house that has had the BT line cut off. Will that be a problem as regards using mobile as modem (sorry if this is a stupid question but i dont do "technical")
    hullight wrote: »
    I've been using my phone as a modem for my laptop because I have unlimited data. Most phones can do this.

If that isn't an option it might be worth getting a pay and go dongle.

I couldn't handle being away from the web while they move my phone line and internet.
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Please can you advise HOW to use a mobile phone as a modem...thanks. I will be moving shortly to a house that has had the BT line cut off. Will that be a problem as regards using mobile as modem (sorry if this is a stupid question but i dont do "technical")

Post this in the Techie Stuff forum, where it's more likely to get an answer....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure