PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

Comments

• A few more tips...
    Budget in more time than you think you will need to pack... we landed up moving stuff out of our rental house room by room onto the front lawn as the inspector came to do the inventory! Most of our stuff had gone in a monster truck, but we were left with way more bits and pieces than could reasonably be stuffed into a Vectra and it was only with some ingenuity and the luck of finding a pallet in a nearby skip that we were able to cart off the last of our stuff.
    Because rentals don't always tie in the way you'd like, we had 10 days to recuperate at mother-in-law's before we started the daunting task of unpacking... we wouldn't have chosen to do it this way but actually it split the task into two more manageable chunks (our stuff went off to storage) and gave us time to spend on changing addresses.
    Annoyingly the previous tenants at our new place had the phone disconnected, rather than just switching the account over to us. This would have cost a couple of hundred pounds to reconnect to BT, or (as we did) I think about £60 to connect to cable. It also meant weeks without phone and internet access.
    We paid a couple of friends to hire a 7T truck and move all our stuff; I wouldn't do this again as although it saved a few hundred pounds they weren't equipped with padding to protect the furniture which all got scratched, and of course weren't insured.
  • looking to move to India in the next 2 months, for at least 2-3 years due to work.

Any recommendations on which relocation company to use? any advice really appreciated

not taking much things, just personal stuff, no furniture or anything big
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    I dread moving because of our cat. He is old (15) and has never been to a cattery. Do you think moving him on a pet carrier with us in the car and then shutting him in a room in the new place with a smelly sweatshirt of my hubby's, food, water and a litter tray would work?

I'm worried about him having to fight for a his place in the cat hierarchy of our new neighbourhood too. :(

I've just realised that I sound like a crazy cat lady but this really does worry me. :o:(
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    I dread moving because of our cat. He is old (15) and has never been to a cattery. Do you think moving him on a pet carrier with us in the car and then shutting him in a room in the new place with a smelly sweatshirt of my hubby's, food, water and a litter tray would work?

I'm worried about him having to fight for a his place in the cat hierarchy of our new neighbourhood too. :(

I've just realised that I sound like a crazy cat lady but this really does worry me. :o:(

That's the way we've always had to do it with mine (she suffers violently when driven around so I didn't want to do that more than essential to get her to a cattery). We've always had an overlap to move over a couple of days so I've got a spare room unpacked and relatively ready to go - then put her and her things in there and just left her to it until the initial chaos is over (she's indoor only because of disabilities so we also had to minimize the chances of escape).

Hopefully we're only moving three doors up the road this time at least!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • On moving day I have two top tips:-

1) Make a seperate small box up that you take in the car with you and pack your day's food and drink in there, along with the milk, tea bags kettle etc so that at least you can eat and make a cuppa when you need to and not when the removal men arrive or when you can find said box buried at the back of the van!

2) Once the van unloading's done ALWAYS make your (+ family's if you have one) bed up first as you SO don't want to do it last thing at night once you're thoroughly exhausted! And it's a great feeling to collapse on to a pre-made bed when you finally feel like dropping :)
  • skyjumper wrote: »
    looking to move to India in the next 2 months, for at least 2-3 years due to work.

Any recommendations on which relocation company to use? any advice really appreciated

We did an overseas move recently and used Fox Moving:
    http://www.fox-moving.com/

I have to say they were bl&&dy brilliant, packed it all up swiftly, and it all arrived safely even though the pallet was apparently in a bad state like it had been dropped... we were terrified when we heard this but our dishes, flat screen telly, computers, were all fine.
    Make sure you clearly set aside stuff that's not to be packed up, as they will just whiz through the house. Also give the cupboards etc a quick check before they leave as they missed a couple of plates that were hiding at the back.

We'd never have thought to use a professional removal company for stuff like this (we didn't take any large furniture, only small stuff) but I'd do it again as it was so hassle-free. Can't vouch for the cost, though, as it was sorted out by my husband's company :) so you might want to shop around if you're not taking much.
  • Check, check, then check again all the cupboards and wardrobes. We packed up a van the night before, slept for a few hours on the floor in sleeping bags, then at 4am when we should have been leaving for ferry, checked and found sports bags full of clothes in a wardrobe. As we were leaving the UK it would have been a disaster!
    Also use the first night as an excuse for take out rather than trying to unpack crockery and plan meals.
    Agree with others that best tip is to have tea/coffee etc in bag in car.
    Still trying to reduce the toiletries mountain, now a hill........ :j
    Sealed Pot Challenge #1221
    Less shoes less shoes less shoes etc
  • shazpea
    shazpea Posts: 12 Forumite
    we've been in our new home about a month now and still haven't unpacked - much decorating, etc to be done. We knew we were going to be camping out for about 2 months before we could really start making it a home or unpacking, unfortunately the other half didn't listen to my 'pack enough clothes and stuff for a month' advice and just shoved all his stuff in a box. This box then ended up at the bottom of a wall of boxes in the corner of a room.. he was wearing his dad's clothes for a week or two and has learned the hard way!!!

Also, remember to tape remotes to the machines they work for! And keep your phone chargers separate! i tend to put all screws etc belonging to furniture in a sandwich bag and tape them to part of it.

When we started to unpack our furniture we then discovered that the bed wouldn't fit up the stairs to the attic bedroom. We're still sleeping on a pile of mattresses, but had a blow-up mattress on standby just in case!!

good luck to all of you moving!! it's hard work but that sigh of relief when it's starting to look like 'your home' is so worth it :p
  • skyjumper wrote: »
    looking to move to India in the next 2 months, for at least 2-3 years due to work.

I can tell you who not to use, as the well known company I chose, after telling me my treasures were much safer with them, broke most of my most valued fragile things through sheer laziness. Am I allowed to say who?
  • If you know you are a beneficiary in a Will, it is important to ask the owner of the will to let the Solicitors office know you have moved. Otherwise, it is very difficult to track you down!

Great tips here, i'm moving shortly and have forgotten how stressful it can all be - no more binliners for us this time, properly labelled packing boxes all the way!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure