PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unblocking the toilet - any ideas?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• OneLeggedPig
    Options
    This video helped me very quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUOdeDls4k

(needs a plunger)
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Bit late to the toilet unblocking party but thought Id throw in my suggestion for reference, and it may have been suggested already.

If you dont have a plunger you can make your own using a lemonade or coke bottle, the 2 litre size. Cut off the bottom and hold the lidded end. Stick it in the loo and squish it up and down, creating that suction thing.. works the same as the loo brush but a bit better.
    Warning : can get a bit messy I suppose!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • warty_2
    Options
    I would suggest to never use caustic soda.
    If you try it and it does not work - for example if there is a solid blockage outside under the drains cover, if you then need to call a drains-contractor, they will not be at all pleased to have to work with caustic soda in the system.
    Additionally - if you try caustic soda and it does not work, and then you resort to investigating under the drain-cover outside yourself, then YOU may encounter the caustic soda and without suitable protective clothing. It can be very nasty stuff to work with.
  • lavendercat
    Options
    Have just cleared a blockage on mine which OH had tried boiling water, caustic soda and one of those toilet snake things, all to no avail. Put a reasonable strong bag (I used two Waitrose normal ones) over the head of a mop and tightly secure it around the mop handle to keep so air in and stop it moving up the handle - I used a couple of cable ties. Then simply ram it down the loo - it acts like a giant plunger! Quick and easy...
  • Isabella41
    Options
    Corrosive substances such as drain unblockers are not supposed to be put down toilets because if it does not work you will have a toilet filled with acid that you can no longer plunge without risk of splashing and burns.

You also cannot leave the toilet unattended with acid in it as it will be a hazard to pets, children or unwitting people wanting to use the loo. If it's flushed and overflows, you will have acid on your bathroom floor and a much bigger problem than a simple blocked toilet.

I unblocked our toilet with a Toiletsaber which is, without a doubt, the most hygienic tool I have used for toilet blockages.

Why improvise when there are specifically designed tools for the job?

My husband is a builder and before he treats himself to expensive tools he always says "A tradesman is only as good as his tools." :rotfl:
  • AuntyC
    AuntyC Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loo had been blocked for about a day. Luckily slow-draining rather than completely bunged up, but the bowl wouldn't clear completely, so flushing would just dilute what was left – not pleasant. I'd tried washing-up liquid and hot water – no immediate joy. Ditto a syringe-type toilet plunger – I couldn't get a decent seal due to the shape of my toilet bowl – the drain is square – so it wasn't doing much good at all.

Having read this thread, I decided to try the mop method but was going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a suitable mop. Then I read MikeyB's variation on it from a few years back. On with the Marigolds, then a couple of cheap plastic bags with a bin bag over the top wrapped around my hand and arm. I scrunched it into the drain opening and it only took a few fist-pumps (and not even that much elbow-grease!) until the bowl was pretty much dry. There was a bit of a nasty niff, but when I flushed, the blockage was gone and the water ran clear!

Thanks! Brilliant advice! :T
  • silverspirit
    Options
    I did the mop method once, after a vegan had been to stay, say no more, was gross and I had to stop myself gagging but it worked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure