PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unblocking the toilet - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• pennystextiles
    Options
    coys wrote: »
    For future problems, Get a mop and a rubbish bag/bin bag, wrap the bag securely around the mop end, and use it as a plunger, this is very effective and cheap.

Genious, worked a dream, when the plunger failed!
  • ten*a*penny
    Options
    coys wrote: »
    For future problems, Get a mop and a rubbish bag/bin bag, wrap the bag securely around the mop end, and use it as a plunger, this is very effective and cheap.

Brilliant piece of advice, Many thanks! After two days and attempting everything including wire coat hanger, bleach, Mr Muscle, hot water, buckets of water ..... the mop and binbag worked in mere seconds. A few plunges and blockage disappears!!
  • joechoniski
    joechoniski Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have an idea u get a best plumber for this....
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need one of those mops with long bits Vileda I think they are called ( the ones that come with a bucket to twist almost dry) and just use that as a plunger
    We bought a cheap one from the £1 shop.
    My local plumber told me to do this as it shifts most blockages.
  • Flibertigibit
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    You need one of those mops with long bits Vileda I think they are called ( the ones that come with a bucket to twist almost dry) and just use that as a plunger
    We bought a cheap one from the £1 shop.
    My local plumber told me to do this as it shifts most blockages.

I think if you read previous posts you will see that this is the kind of mop we have all used successfully, but good to know you can get a cheap one from the Pound shop.
  • Flibertigibit
    Options
    I have an idea u get a best plumber for this....

I know you are new on here, but it is a money saving forum so to get a plumber out, which could be expensive, to cure a problem that we can fix easily and cheaply ourselves is not really what we are about. Could I ask if you are a plumber yourself?
  • joechoniski
    Options
    For Unblocking toilets use caustic soda, to help dissolve the blockage, and remember to always use gloves. A more environmentally-friendly option may be boiling water, which will break up clogged up matter.
  • Flibertigibit
    Options
    Caustic soda was no use with my blockage.
  • moaninggit
    moaninggit Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    nabowla wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions!

The bicarb & vinegar didn't entirely work so I'll try the salt tonight as I've got a spare bag in the house at the moment. Failing that, I'll buy a plunger.
    I know it was a long time ago but you had already tried ;) salt
  • joechoniski
    Options
    To Make sure the water supply to the toilet is off. It should be located right behind the toilet, it looks like a regular faucet knob. Do not shut off the supply for the house, since this will prevent others from using water. If the water is off to at least the toilet, this will prevent the bathroom from flooding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure