PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unblocking the toilet - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Options
    I had a blockage in my toilet a couple of years ago, caused by a toilet roll that had fallen in :rolleyes:

After a couple of days prodding and poking and trying various products, with no luck whatsoever (a bucket and next door's loo came in very handy!!!) someone suggested I used bleach ... the strong stuff, not your tesco value watery stuff ... as it will eventually rot any organic product.

I poured about 2-3 litres of strong neat bleach in the loo and left it to do it's work. Several hours later the toilet was unblocked :D

Good luck!!!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if all else fails there's always dynamite :D

im such a wit *rolls eyes lol*

um....its far from a pleasant prospect, but depending on how far down/around the blockage is, you could always try donning a pair of shoulder high rubber gloves (farmer delivering a baby cow stylee) and having a probe....you might want a clothes peg for your nose mind....just in case!!!!!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi everyone, please can anyone give me some advice as my toilet is blocked! i have taken all the toilet roll out i can see, and left for a while before flushing to see if what is stuck will soften, but everytime i flush the water still rises right to top. is there anything os which is good to soften what might be blocking the toilet, i have 3 young children and im due any day so our toilet is desperatley need please help. x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caustic soda if you have any
    or sink plunger
    or rubber glove and a bent coat hanger wiggle in and out.

So pleased my kids are all grown up now..well sort of! dont miss the blocked toilet thing at all.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.diybasics.co.uk/HowToUnblockToilet.html

If you google, you'll find others. I would start with baling out water and pouring in boiling water with some soda crystals. Caustic soda shifts most things. Ours was blocked by copious amounts of quality loo roll. OH had to use drain rods outside. Back to smartprice loo roll after that.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    The best thing is a really strong plunger. BTW, some baby wipes are not recommended for flushing down the loo. (in case that's what's happened)
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thankyou for all the advice, when it first happened i didnt think there was much down the toilet, i did warn everyone about it but then eldest darling son forgot and say no more, im going to try and empty again and try some boiling water, dont have a plunger, should get more organised really with little uns.x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Hi betterlife,

exactly the same happened to us. Boil the kettle and poor the boiling water down the toilet. We had to do it two or three times before the toilet situation got better.

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • Ginger_Nuts_2
    Options
    Most pound shops have plungers which usually without fail work for 'erm...a pound:D Once you've got it sorted, dont buy the extra quilted or equivelant stuff again, it swells like mad and especially with kids will block the loo really quickly ;) Ever since we stopped buying that stuff which has a big bear in the adverts, the problem has almost disappeared;)
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    You can also try, as a quick fix, filling a bucket of water and really throwing it down the bowl - sometimes having that much extra "force" can dislodge the blockage and save you the unenviable job of using coat hangers or plungers. Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure