PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unblocking the toilet - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    When my loo got blocked, after trying lots of different things a few of them in posts above ^ lol, i got a device rather like a plunger, but a can of compressed air fitted into the top. One blast of air and the blockage was gone, i'm sure it was less than £10. It is enough for more than one blast of air. I brought it in Homebase.

Jackie x
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    if you need to get it cleared tonight, and you don't have a plunger, get an old bath towel, and scrunch it up, put it down the loo, and plunge up and down several times, this should cause a vacum effect and clear the obstruction, works every time, the only down side is that you have to throw the towel away afterwards

hth
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi there :j We have an existing thread on this subject, so I'll merge them to keep ideas together. Hope you get it cleared soon ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    all sorted , thankyou everyone for your advice. after a couple of hours of repeatedly doing the boiling water , i tried a bit of old hosepipe taped to a footpump, after 10mins of pressure managed to shift the blockage thank god. have just disenfected everywhere (and myself lol) and the toilet and me now smell nice again. thanks again everyone, ive writen a shopping list and am off out to get supplies so i`ll be prepared next time, as with 3 kids (soon to be 4) im sure its only a matter of time befor it happens again.x betterlife!
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Pleased to hear its all sorted.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    betterlife wrote: »
    with 3 kids (soon to be 4) im sure its only a matter of time befor it happens again.x betterlife!

In case it was toilet roll that caused the blockage, squash the roll before putting it in the holder so they dont get five yards of paper for every tug. Saves money on TP as well :D
  • coys_2
    Options
    For future problems, Get a mop and a rubbish bag/bin bag, wrap the bag securely around the mop end, and use it as a plunger, this is very effective and cheap.
  • Flexible_Friend
    Options
    The mop trick worked for me as well. Thanks. :T
  • ScarletRaven
    Options
    I have used this mop trick before and must say it's the best and quickest method I've ever found for unblocking a loo! Not bad considering I thought of it in a moment of blind panic as the water was overflowing onto the bathroom floor at the time! lol
  • CandyB101_2
    Options
    My OH is a plumber, and always takes a mop with him .... his trick of the trade.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport