Online PC Masters - scam

Options

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    should the office of fair trading be dealing with these half wits.

IIRC they operate from outside the UK in places like Mumbai, where the OFT has no jurisdiction, so action would have to go via the local authorities (who may not be very interested...)
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And I thought that the Online PC Masters were the PC World TechGuys!

Another illusion shattered...
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    MadTechie wrote: »
    Hi All,

if you want to hear my story read below, if not, read the last line.

Let me start by stating I am in fact quite computer literate, in fact it's my job to be, as I work with both servers and desktops and security is a big factor,

So I am sitting at my PC and get a international phone call, expecting a call centre I pick up and get some guy from "Online PC Masters" oow

He tells me that my pc has reported problems to Microsoft and he will fix it.. Great!

He asks me to goto teamviewer's website (a remote control software, that I use with some of my own clients)

So I load up my virtual system (that I use for analysing things like virus, etc) and follow his instructions, once his into my (virtual) system another guy takes over the call, he (after a few typos) managers to load up event viewer and points out all these errors.. (bring print .. my VM doesn't have a printer) and DHCP,
    I said but i don't have a printer.. he assures me this is still a problem, i ask "what's this dhcp thing" he tells me that, thats what reported the problem to Microsoft and the system is corrupted, and that's why the system is running slow!
    !!!!!!!

Now.. the VM wasn't running slow in fact due to minimum amount of installs and the fact its restored back to a basic install allot of the time, it is quite fast..!
    So I said but the internet seams fast.. he then tells me that's not the problem,
    okay..

He then goes to ASO (Advanced System Optimizer) website and downloads a trial and installs it an runs it, so show me the problems and yes a few do appear
    5 junk files
    0 drivers problems
    137 cookies
    0 maleware
    and
    78 Registry -- okay this may of been a good one BUT
    considering most of then where *MRU it's hardly a problem

*MRU is "most recently used" the recent file lists used by some apps

He then tells me all my problems can be fixed for £85.95 per year!
    I question this and he tells me the Analyse is free but to fix it i have to pay,

I say, okay but all you have done is ran a program, what else do i get for £85.95, he tells me this will stop any further problem and its really and if i don't fix them i'll need to get a new PC..

At this point I'm bored and I also had a work mate on MSN chat who was giggling whenever I said I was non-technical,

So i then tell the guy that I am in fact quite technical i don't see anything that would cause the PC to any real problems, in fact i would rate them as recommended fixes but not critical and could he re-confirm what I actually get for my £85.95, considering the software only costs £27.24,

He says well the DHCP, i interrupt saying "couldn't connect to the router a month ago because the router was down"
    He stops talking,

To sum up,
    1. if someone calls you and tells you to install XYZ, just hang up!

You did WHAT?
    Glad you don't look after MY computer!
  • Firetastic
    Firetastic Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Now, who's going to be the next one to record it with screen recording software so we can watch it :D

I found this video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhV6rIgyQ-s
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    birkee wrote: »
    You did WHAT?

This was on his own computer. Not a customers.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • gordon_mackie
    Options
    Funny that - these guys phone me 2 or 3 times a day...Telephone Preference have no interest (same as anyone you report) as they say it isn't cold call or a nuisance..l
  • Catherine_Johnson_2
    Options
    birkee wrote: »
    You did WHAT?

Yes, I'm with you on this one.

Why on earth would you even get into a discussion with people like this, never mind letting them have access to your computer, especially if, as you claim, you have technical knowledge of computers?
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell them you haven't got a computer, that should be enough to confuse them :D
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, I'm with you on this one.

Why on earth would you even get into a discussion with people like this, never mind letting them have access to your computer, especially if, as you claim, you have technical knowledge of computers?
    Do you have any knowledge of virtual machines ? I have wound these guys up several times when I am in the mood.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • RussJK
    RussJK Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have any knowledge of virtual machines ? I have wound these guys up several times when I am in the mood.

I wonder how many people glossed over the whole virtual machine part without understanding.

You should tell your stories on this debitcard :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure