We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Support thread for parents of pupils sitting AQE exam in November

Options

Comments

• facingthefuture
    Options
    Hi, Belfast Telegraph has put the grades for the grammar schools online. It will be the only place you will get it because the Education Depart haven't released it. It was only given under the freedom of information auspices.

Thanks BT - well done.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/post-primary-selection/revealed-northern-irelands-grammar-school-entrance-test-lottery-14971040.html
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DENI didn't release the information because DENI doesn't have it. DENI has nothing to do with the transfer process.
    Stercus accidit
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    Hi leftie...what over country would have the situation where the department of education is not involved in the transfer process and doesn't have the results? Crazy....
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    Options
    Hi leftie...what over country would have the situation where the department of education is not involved in the transfer process and doesn't have the results? Crazy....

What other country would have their education policy outlined, dictated and planned by someone who could have been placing bombs under your cars and killing your children a few years ago ????

Oh and the current half wit incumbent doesn't even send her off spring to school in THIS country ????

Don't get me wrong the other crowd are !!!!!!! up Health and Finance as we speak and are just as bad, but at least they recognize some form of academic selection is required.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    I agree, can't stand her or her bomber/sniper mates. They just love destroying anything.

The one thing that gets to me more than this is the NHS, I treasure it but believe it is being privatised by the back door. All these new builds under PPI's ...it's scary.
  • happymummy24-7
    Options
    hi everyone,
    can i ask a quick question...and please forgive my stupidity for not being able to work the answer out myself (im balming 'baby brain' lol)
    the school my daughter has her heart set on,last year accepted as its highest score 125 and lowest 101,what would she need to get in % to get in (as i am writting this i know it sound silly and i should be able to work it out :o)
    Our big problem is she literally has her heart pinned on this school as many do and has insisted her second choice will be a secondary school if she doesnt get in (so its not as if its the grammer education she craves lol) as ive mentioned on here before,she is struggling to keep her scores around 75% (school is fab,they do tests everyday and send home ones at weekend,they truly support it!) and we both know this wont be enough to get her in (in my opinion she would also continue to struggle her way even if she did make it in but then again at least she would be where she wanted!!) my head in mush so i can only imagine how all the poor kids are feeling!
    thanks in advance for your help :D
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone,
    can i ask a quick question...and please forgive my stupidity for not being able to work the answer out myself (im balming 'baby brain' lol)
    the school my daughter has her heart set on,last year accepted as its highest score 125 and lowest 101,what would she need to get in % to get in (as i am writting this i know it sound silly and i should be able to work it out :o)
    Our big problem is she literally has her heart pinned on this school as many do and has insisted her second choice will be a secondary school if she doesnt get in (so its not as if its the grammer education she craves lol) as ive mentioned on here before,she is struggling to keep her scores around 75% (school is fab,they do tests everyday and send home ones at weekend,they truly support it!) and we both know this wont be enough to get her in (in my opinion she would also continue to struggle her way even if she did make it in but then again at least she would be where she wanted!!) my head in mush so i can only imagine how all the poor kids are feeling!

The problem is you don't get a percentage score for the AQE tests:( your child could get only half the questions right in the tests and still have a score of well over 100 if most of the other children get less than half the test correct. Does that make sense ?

Basically all our kids scores are listed out and they compete against each other, the children with the highest scores will get a 141+ rating, the lowest scores will get a 69- rating, with all others in between.

The school my son attends is the main supplier of pupils to our local grammer, only about half or less of the children choose to sit the tests, last year all that sat the tests (45 pupils or so) got into this grammer school. I see that a lot of the bigger Greater Belfast Schools can be a lot more selective about what scores they take, hence most of them accepted 101 as their lowest score last year.

Enough to make my grey hairs go greyer:eek:
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone,

I know this isnt totally accurate but for a rough rough guide I am using this ....
    From Belfast Telegraph highest scores is 145 ....
    taking then that.......... 145 = 100%
    then an AQE score of ..95 would be 65.5%
    ......etc
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • 36square
    36square Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    For the benefit of several people on this thread, you're aiming to get your children into a grammAr school, not a grammEr school. Hopefully your children know how to spell it properly.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    36square wrote: »
    For the benefit of several people on this thread, you're aiming to get your children into a grammAr school, not a grammEr school. Hopefully your children know how to spell it properly.

....... reads back through posts ........... phew ............
    :D:D :rotfl: :A
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills