Options

Comments

• steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2010 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Hi
    I am new here. My daughter will be doing the GL Assessment (2 local grammars agreed on this) in November 2010 and whilst I know the AQE papers differ from GL it is reassuring for me as a parent to read all your thoughts. She is my eldest child and we didnt really have a summer to speak of. It was filled with worksheets and practice papers. There are only 7 kids (out of 25) in her class sitting the exam. At the moment she is scoring just under the class average and both her dad and I are wracked with guilt. Will her score improve ? Should we put her through all this ? Is it good for her ? The principal of the local grammar that she has her wee heart set on going to informed us that last year the lowest score they admitted was 228. I think I have aged about 15 years since the end of June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly welcome, make yourself at home we are all very friendly here:)

I think we all share your worry and stress freefromdebt, these tests are stressful on the children, we all worry as parents that we are doing the right thing for our kids:o It has got worse since 11+ stopped, at least the children did their tests in familiar environments along side other children from their school, now they are put in a strange new location to sit in a hall with hundreds of strangers and I think this adds to the stress:(

Ask your test venue if they are having a familiarization session, the school my son will sit his test in are having one the Saturday morning before the tests to get the kids used to their surroundings and our primary school head has said that they intend to get all the kids from the same school to sit together which should help.

As for whether we should put them through this ordeal ? I couldn't honestly tell you:o I think it may be better to have tried than not tried and regretted it afterwards;) we can only offer our kids help and support oh and a few hundred practice papers:rotfl:

Speaking of which I have been using the Belfast Tele practice tests recently, they do AQE and GL practice questions, they are handy for Sunday afternoon sessions:T I also have the previous years tests in PDF format if anyone would like a copy just PM me.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Freefromdebt_2
    Options
    Came home from school today with PTQ papers having done them in school - Her marks have FALLEN and she is well BELOW class average. When I spoke to her this evening she told me that the 7 that are doing the transfer test are taken to the library along with a boy in their class who is statemented. His classroom assistant supervises the kids doing the test whilst at the same time trying to teach the statemented kid.:mad::mad::mad:
    You can imagine my reaction !!!!! This kid makes noises constantly and interrupts the kids all the time. My daughter along with the others doing the test say this is very disruptive not to mention the poor kid who needs extra help.
    As you can imagine I am VERY CROSS. I am trying my level best to give my daughter every opportunity to get in to the school of her choice only for this to be happening in school.
  • cheesypuff
    cheesypuff Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Hi my daughter is doing AQE in nov also. Our school is doing 2 tests a week and 1 at weekends they have been very good. I am also giving her a test a week. I am finding her marks are very up an down. I think the kids are starting to get very stressed and tired now.:eek:

If all goes well she hopes to go to Regent House or Glenlola as we live in Ards. If she doesn't pass it will be strangford college or bangor academy.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No 278
    CCCS DMP Start 1st May 2009
    DFD 2020:beer: :j
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - my daughter preparing for tests - 2 per week in school and then I bought the pmp set to do at weekends. Her results are all over the place though - one day she can hit high 80's % and then the next mid 60's % with the papers at school.
    The pmp p7 revision pack that i bought she is hitting results in mid 80's -
    Very stressful time ...I promised myself i wouldnt worry and take it in my stride but finding it hard not to.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    Our ds is doing both tests, just in case he panics for one of them.
    Frankly I just want him to get in to a decent school that has girls in it too (regardless of religion) and have an atmosphere of respect and discipline as well as enjoyment.
    Problem is the primary school he was at is not great for preparation (thanks to the pompous CR) and I think I will try and move 7 year old daughter so she has not the same experience. We sent him to Kip Mc Grath for the last few months and the teacher said he catches on very quickly and seems happy and "should get there". Me, I am terrified...it's the "should" that causesmy fear.

Anyway, what sort of results should he be getting now? Last night he told me he actually did do a test at school and got 49 out of 65....does that sound dreadful? I guess he should be getting 55 at least.
  • Stressed_mum_2
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    First of all I just want to wish you all the very best for the forthcoming months. My youngest daughter sat the AQE last year, so I know what you are all going through. A very, very stressful time, but I hope you all get as much support from this thread as I did from the other AQE thread!
    My main reason for posting is to let you know that the Belfast Telegraph have today published a list of what marks the schools accepted last year. I know it is almost impossible to compute the marks the children get in practice papers into the AQE score, but it might give some of you an idea of what the schools are accepting.
    Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Todays Belfast Telegraph am has a breakdown of year 8 intake and the results that got into each school

Please correct me if I am wrong (trying to work out percentage score).

From Belfast Telegraph highest scores is 145 ....
    taking then that.......... 145 = 100%
    then an AQE score of ..95 would be 65.5%

I know there is marks added on for special circumstances, age and if older brother and sister at school ..... but do you think this is a fair assumption ??
    Might give an idea of what child is capable of going from tests done at school/home...

eta - at stressed mum think we posted at the same time :)
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Willyk
    Willyk Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    I received a letter from AQE which explains how the marking system works. I assume all parents of children sitting the test this year will get one.
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Options
    Last years certainly didn't get one WillyK, if you get a chance would you please post the rough details? I'm one of those who are still trying to work it all out.
  • ni-mum
    ni-mum Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    Todays Belfast Telegraph am has a breakdown of year 8 intake and the results that got into each school

Please correct me if I am wrong (trying to work out percentage score).

From Belfast Telegraph highest scores is 145 ....
    taking then that.......... 145 = 100%
    then an AQE score of ..95 would be 65.5%

I know there is marks added on for special circumstances, age and if older brother and sister at school ..... but do you think this is a fair assumption ??
    Might give an idea of what child is capable of going from tests done at school/home...

eta - at stressed mum think we posted at the same time :)

Could you tell us what scores got into

Grosvenor
    Methody
    Wellington
    Victoria
    Hunter House

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing