What's the worst thing you've ever wasted money on?

Comments

• painted_lady
    painted_lady Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post
    Glad its not just me who is a total wally with money. Although my recent debts are due to health and personal unavoidable reasons, last time I wrote my debt off it was just purely down to not keeping a check on my money.
    I had the new car because I needed it.
    I had at least £300 new clothes every month.
    I went out 5 times a week.
    You get the picture.
    Now I wear old clothes, car boot bargains, drive a 20 year old car, get out maybe once a month. I'm still happy, just have a very different life
  • The worst thing I ever spent money on?

Easy...my ex-boyfriend. What a blooming waste of space!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm a real tightwad but my husband bought two leather sofas for £1600, which we could have got at Argos for less than half that! Grrrr:mad:
    (And they're not even that comfortable!!!!)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • I took out a £600 extension to my loan in order to have a course of hypnotherapy so that I would stop binge eating.

Needless to say, I kept binge eating after the course had finished and it wasn't until getting together with my OH that I realised that the only thing that stops me from eating too much is to have a life. Boredom was my curse.

Also, I took out a £10,000 loan after graduating and used £2,000 on a trip to America - just because I had always wanted to go. It didn't occur to me at the time to save for a few months and then go. The rest I used on buying a car, putting a deposit down on a flat and conslidating my debts from uni. And we all know how well consolidating goes. I soon had the loan to pay back as well as more CC debt. :mad:

And my useless ex-OH. He was carp with money and I had to subsidise his half of the rent/bills all the time. He spent his money on video games before I could get my hands on it! When we split up I just wrote off what he owed me. It was worth it for the clean break. My new OH is fab with money :D
    LBM February 2008. DFD March 2013 19 August 2011
    Debt at LBM £14,395.48. Debt Now £0
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    mmm.. and i get sad when i buy a £5 bra in La senza that does not fit... but i buy it anyway thinking that *it will fit.

Once i was coming back from Buenos Aires, and went into the duty free make up shops... got a £10 Lancome mascara and it really irritated my eyes... i did not want to throw it away cos it costed me £10( that is how cheap i am ) and a £35 Farenheit Dior perfume for Oh 200ml.. massive thing. Arrive in Madrid airport and was told that i could not pass security with it to come to London, i had to get out, get to the shops in Barajas, get a Timberland backpack the cheapest thing i could see it was that, and it was 40 euros, god, i felt so sad, but i couldnt jut leave the perfume that i bought for OH.
    Good thing is.. sometimes i use the backpack ,it's very smart... this was in 2007 and my oh still has the perfume, use it every week and still half of it left. But i must say, the bag was an unnessary thing to buy but i knew that oh perfume was really expensive over here.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
  • Silvafox
    Silvafox Posts: 321 Forumite
    morocha wrote: »
    mmm.. and i get sad when i buy a £5 bra in La senza that does not fit... but i buy it anyway thinking that *it will fit.

Once i was coming back from Buenos Aires, and went into the duty free make up shops... got a £10 Lancome mascara and it really irritated my eyes... i did not want to throw it away cos it costed me £10( that is how cheap i am ) and a £35 Farenheit Dior perfume for Oh 200ml.. massive thing. Arrive in Madrid airport and was told that i could not pass security with it to come to London, i had to get out, get to the shops in Barajas, get a Timberland backpack the cheapest thing i could see it was that, and it was 40 euros, god, i felt so sad, but i couldnt jut leave the perfume that i bought for OH.
    Good thing is.. sometimes i use the backpack ,it's very smart... this was in 2007 and my oh still has the perfume, use it every week and still half of it left. But i must say, the bag was an unnessary thing to buy but i knew that oh perfume was really expensive over here.

Is that a joke?! You're very lucky if that's the biggest waste of money you can think of in your life!
    PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

It works for me - you try it!
  • Hannah_10
    Hannah_10 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Can't think of a massive one, but two recent small ones are annoying the hell out of me...

Bought a CD for £4 (with £4 or £5 left in my account) but did not check P&P charges assuming it was free- it wasn't! It was £6.17 inc P&P and I went over my limit for that. So angry with myself for that one, that's a £15 bank charge I have no one to blame for but myself...

But then (and this is a beauty) I bought a set of shelves and did the exact same thing! £50 delivery on top of the purchase price this time. All of about 2 weeks later? Good Gods I am an idiot right now! :mad:

Have probably made bigger mistakes but these two are very much at the front of my mind currently.
    I refuse to be afraid of the big bad wolf, spiders, or debt collection agencies; one of them's not real and the other two are powerless without my fear.
    (Ok, one of them is powerless, spiders can be nasty.)

As of the last count I have cleared
    [STRIKE]23.16%[/STRIKE] 22.49% of my debt. :(
  • alona1
    alona1 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Anything bought for the ex and the car loan (£7k) I took out for him even though he walked away with it - prat. And putting up with his constant whinging, moaning and abuse after he got sacked while I worked to pay the mortgage by myself.

What doesn't kill you...
  • Nottoobadyet
    Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    An terrible PT at a fancy gym and French lessons, neither of which did me any good!
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • louise3965
    louise3965 Posts: 687 Forumite
    These are all really interesting - especially how lots of us report feeling particularly stupid now. Guess tahts a sign of lerssons learned and all that. I particularly empathise with the weight-related ones though. Gawd the times I've bought stuff to slim into. Never works, does it?
    Cogito ergo sum. Google it you lazy sod !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure