PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bonnie,

also look on the freebies boardm there are quite often free cinema tickets on there (there is a sthread thats sticky at the top about it) might be useful.

• Tuttifruitty_Theresa
    Options
    you can also join other forums and volunteer to be a moderator for them. I'm a mod and administrator on another forum and it keeps me busy, i'm always popping on to keep it running smoothly.

Also you could run a coffee morning and raise funds for charity or as others have said work in a charity shop, i have done this and it's a great way of spending a few hours.

xx
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    beemuzed wrote:
    I love reading, but am getting better at borrowing rather than buying books these days!
    My sewing machine has gathered dust in recent years - nowhere seems to sell material these days (or knitting wool! I'm old enough to remember when wool shops existed in large numbers!) - this year I WILL try to sew and knit again as both are relaxing to do.
    I walk the dogs - but sadly usually consider this a chore reather than a hobby - especially when gales and rain are beating down as today!

Have you tried searching the Internet for online sellers? Here are a few to start you off:

http://www.storyvelvets.co.uk/htmlfiles/profile.html

http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/

Try ebay, or Google "Buy knitting yarns" or "buy dressmaking materials" and keep it to UK only to keep p&p down

It's not the same as rumaging in a real shop, but it's amazing how much is out there
  • julbags
    julbags Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Cycling can be a cheap hobby especially if you use it as a form of transport, however if you do get properly into it the cost will mount up as you buy better bikes/gear to progress. I started off with a good mountain bike 4 years ago and now own 4 bikes only one of which cost less than £1000 - however its my real passion (between myself and my OH we own 10 bikes :o ) and not very moneysaving unfortunately.

Running is a pretty cheap hobby (just don't skimp on the shoes) - probably my cheapest. Entering local races is a great motivator and fitness gains are quick.

Other hobbies I have required an initial outlay for kit but once bought that is it - rock climbing (indoor walls are really good fun) and hill walking.

I also find gardening very therapeutic and relaxing while still getting me moving about as I like to be active.
  • thule
    thule Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    my hobbie is horse riding and carriage driving, this may not be the most financially prudent hobbie in the world!!!
    however there are a few money saving spin off to it! well at least this is the official party line my DS and I tell OH
    -if we're on a horse were not shopping-result !!!
    -no need to pay gym membership when you have 3 stables to muck out each day
    -No spare time to spend money on luxuries like dinning out/going to pub/holidays
    -free manure
    -saves petrol when we take the horse and cart to the local shop!!!
    -no need to spend on fashionable clothes (trackies and a big jumper from charity shop, and a pair of wellies per year)
    - no need to spend money on beauty products-the clydesdale loves me with no make up, just outa bed,scarey hair styleeee, as long as i have a carrot in my hand!
    -hours in the saddle has resulted in us knowing knowing all the best wild apple/damson/sloe/bramble/mushroom spots, so we have good stores of jam/wine/apple tarts

i,m sure all of the above offsets the shoeing/feed/vet bills.............HONEST!
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    It is always interesting to see a new website and here is one that pops up on the Google homepage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Category:Hobbies-and-Crafts

it has some really interesting stuff on it.
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moanymoany - thanks for this!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • sarahf191979
    sarahf191979 Posts: 3,077 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Great Find

Found a few ideas for keeping the kiddies occupied for the next week until they go back to school on the 9th:eek:

Thanks for sharing

:beer:
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • FunkyFairy
    Options
    Thank you some fab ideas for me to do with the children i mind :o
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a brill site, i`ve just joined, thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories