PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Options

Comments

• thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tedo wrote:
    After a small initial cost Geocaching is a fun way to get out and about.
    try this link

http://www.geocaching.com/

It involves using a GPS reciever to find hiden caches all over the UK (and the world). Sounds a bit nerdy but is rally enjoyable for those who love the outdoors.

Tedo

We do this too - dh got a little sat nav thing free with his laptop from work and we have been to all sort of places that we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Dh and I are both scout leaders - him cubs and me Beavers - it's free apart from your time...!!!. I also knit, sew, crochet, quilt etc. Too many projects on the go though as usual and the wool is taking over the house. I'm completely unartistic with drawing etc but I feel so much more confident with a needle rather than a pencil......

We also do jigsaws - in fact I'm taking a break from one at the monent - dh and ds1 are ploughing on. I also haunt the local library and am an obsessive cook and winemaker - want to try beer next.

Having said that we all play golf, and over the lean years our golf fees were in lieu of holidays, birthday and Christmas pressies etc.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been pretty OS with my hobbies since I was a kid.

* I'm a Guide leader, working on my Warrant at the moment.

* I'm a snail mail penpaller

* I dabble in web and graphic design

* I'm an internet addict

* I love cooking

* I make and sell jewellery

I feel as though I don't have much of a social life though... saying that, it's been like that since I was 5!!

Un sou est un sou
  • Tuttifruitty_Theresa
    Options
    TKP wrote:
    Me too! I do card making and scrapbooking, and love baking bread (but am limited by diet...:o )
    I love gardening and walking (as in just going for walk every day)
    I am a compulsive reader (have 5 books on the go at the moment :o )
    I love cooking/baking, and now make everything (thanks to OS) :T
    Finally I dance (is that a hobby?) I do ballroom, latin, american line dancing and this year I am starting ProAm couples

ooh i'd love to be able to dance, but i've got two left feet lol, you are so lucky to be able to wear gorgeous ballroom gowns. I've also decided to do more jigsaws this year - another good excuse to scour charity shops :D

xxx
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    How do you not get bored? I have been going to college 4 days a week, which is now down to 2 as one course finished and i couldn't afford to keep the floristry course going for another 10 weeks.
    I have then been spending £15 a week on yoga, bingo and the pictures, but with the council tax going up in april and dd2 joining her sister at secondary school in september, i won't be able to afford me money any more as big schools tend to eat all your spare money.
    Any ideas to keep me going.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    bonnie wrote:
    How do you not get bored? I have been going to college 4 days a week, which is now down to 2 as one course finished and i couldn't afford to keep the floristry course going for another 10 weeks.
    I have then been spending £15 a week on yoga, bingo and the pictures, but with the council tax going up in april and dd2 joining her sister at secondary school in september, i won't be able to afford me money any more as big schools tend to eat all your spare money.
    Any ideas to keep me going.

Ebaying, knitting/crafts, exercising, cooking, working as an Avon rep., vounteer work, signing up to do paid surveys on the internet, housework, visiting relatives/friends, etc., etc. No excuse to be bored.icon12.gif
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bored? Time? Are you jesting? I wish I had time to be bored. What I would give for just one hour to sit down and read a book uninterrupted.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Housework, appointments, computer course (this is free check to see if there are any free ones in your area) starting OU degree this month, baking etc is a new one for me. Finding now there isn't enough hours in the day, I really don't know how I am going to fit in 16-20 hours minimum study a week for the my degree! Dogs and kids definately keep me 'busy' but not entertained as such.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    get down to your local library and get some books, free, and educational or entertaining. see about coffee mornings etc in your area, or maybe volunteering for something? try your hand at baking, or spend some time clearing out stored stuff you never seem to get round to, you say you have kids, maybe have a good sort out of there rooms, if they are anything like my kids rooms, they will have all sorts of stuff you can sort.
    maybe see if there is free courses in your area for something, keep an eye out at your local community centre for something you might fancy doing?
    most of all, enjoy the free time, as has been posted, many would love to be in your position, but i know how you feel, sometimes its boring when you can't do the things you like, you just have to find things to fill the gaps.
    hth

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    shopping, library, house work, ebay, googling for the kids homework!! making dinner fresh ingredients, big brother, volunteer work.... the days is too short!! xx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bonnie,

We have an older thread that should give you lots of ideas so I've merged your thread with it as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport