We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Research into getting a scooter

1246

Comments

  • I only suggested Greenlight because of word-of-mouth recommendations - haven't heard of Viper.

    Be aware that a CBT is NOT a test therefore there's no such thing as a 'free re-test'. A CBT normally takes a few hours of which 2 must be on the road, but if a learner isn't grasping the basics a good trainer will take more time. If you look at the Greenlight site under CBT you'll see that they say they do this.

    Being on two wheels can be a bit miserable in the depths of winter but you soon learn to dress for it. As long as you're warm it's fine - the only things I avoid altogether are ice and snow, and I'm not keen on motorways when there's a lot of spray about.

    Benham3160 failed to mention having dead insects thrown in your face :)
    Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): £55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): £0
    Debt-free-date: [STRIKE]July[/STRIKE] April 2014 :j:j:j
  • Fiddlestick
    Fiddlestick Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    top_drawer wrote: »
    Fiddlestick - How much is considered cheap in terms of a motorcycle?

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125cc-MOTORBIKE-2008-VIXEN-/110575686833?pt=UK_Motorcycles

    7hrs left, 11 bids and currently sitting at £530.

    I'd expect it to go for around £750.
  • msmyth18
    msmyth18 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Have a look at a honda CBF 125 - Value wise you wont beat it
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 883 Forumite
    It's not miserable riding a scooter (or motorbike). It feels great as you filter past stationary queues of traffic, then sweep into a free parking space in the town centre.

    I started out on a 50cc Gilera Runner,that I used to ride the 5miles or so to and from work every day. The only specialist kit I had was a helmet and gloves. Cheap waterproof jacket and trousers from Millets for the wet days - you don't have to buy expensive gear but it will protect you much better if you come off.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I apologuise in advance as I have not read the latter pages of the post, but;

    If you value economy over your safety go with the Scoot.

    Read the statistics if you doubt me.

    Scooter = same risk as a biker without the thrills, avoid.

    Sorry, just an honest opinion,:A
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • benham3160
    benham3160 Posts: 735 Forumite
    boyse7en wrote: »
    It's not miserable riding a scooter (or motorbike). It feels great as you filter past stationary queues of traffic, then sweep into a free parking space in the town centre.

    I started out on a 50cc Gilera Runner,that I used to ride the 5miles or so to and from work every day. The only specialist kit I had was a helmet and gloves. Cheap waterproof jacket and trousers from Millets for the wet days - you don't have to buy expensive gear but it will protect you much better if you come off.
    Indeed, but also on a moped it's not so much fun when lorries are thundering past you, car drivers just don't see you, or when you're on a country lane and realise you're holding up a mile of traffic.

    Not saying they're bad, but plenty of 17 years olds seem to buy cars and never look back.

    Regards,
    Andy
  • Fiddlestick
    Fiddlestick Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    boyse7en wrote: »
    The only specialist kit I had was a helmet and gloves. Cheap waterproof jacket and trousers from Millets for the wet days - you don't have to buy expensive gear but it will protect you much better if you come off.

    OOh, bone of contention there!

    I would always stand by the advice that one should dress for the crash, not for the ride :)
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    ^ This is correct.

    My first crash I was on a Douglas Vespa in Leather safari Jacket and canvas jeans, still have the scars.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett


    http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    top_drawer wrote: »
    If its as miserable as some of you are implying, why on earth do you still do it?
    Because it's fun!

    However, a lot of people seem to forget that you are "in the elements". When it's hot, it'll be boiling in your jacket. When it's cold (and by this I do mean really really cold), your fingers will freeze. When it rains, your gong to get wet.

    I loved my old bike (this was back when I was 16 and wanted a cheap way of getting to School), but I have "fond" memories of standing by the warm hand drier for 5 minutes until my hands were warm enough to have any feeling again. I also have "fond" memories of setting off for my GF's house, getting half a mile down the road, then having heavy hail for 5 miles. I was wearing a jacket and gloves, so as soon as they were off i was fine... but my jeans were *soaked*. I ended up drying myself off by hair-dryer-ing my legs for half an hour...


    Clothing wise it's up to you what you buy, I used:

    Helmet - get something good and comfy. You don't need to spend £200, but even ignoring the crash benefits, a £50 helmet wont provide enough ventilation when its hot and will steam up in the cold. I personally liked the Caberg flip-up style helmets, as when it got too hot or I wanted to talk to someone I could flip it open.

    Headwear - I liked to wear a balaclava so I didn't get "helmet hair". A little girly, but I found it helped.

    Ear-plugs - Up to you. I didn't find noise a problem, but then I was on a 50cc. Something sportier might need it, but I doubt it.

    Jacket - here want something good. If yours is rubbish, you will get too hot and too cold far too easily. I went to a dealer and tried on what they had to find out what I liked. Also get something with a bit of armour in if possible (mine has shoulder pads and a hardened back section).

    Gloves - again, you want something that wont get too cold (heat isn't so much of an issue). Yours hands will get the coldest. Again, you will want some protection (i.e. knuckle-guards).

    Leg-wear - Up to you. I found that motorcycle legwear would be a pain to store and a hassle to put on or off for commuting. It also depends what you fall on - jeans will do well at holding up to gravel or the road but wont really protect you from impacts.

    Boots - again, depends how much effort you want to put in getting ready. I didn't find it an issue to be honest.

    This all seems overkill I know... but when (not if, sorry) you come off you'll appreciate it. My first (and last...) fall was when I had a flat front tyre (I was inexpereicened and didn't spot it sooner...). Bike went down, I landed on a verge. Landed on my shoulder and then my back. Thanks to the armour I got up (after getting the bike off my leg...) and while it hurt, nothing was damaged...
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    EVERYONE needs to take a CBT regardless of wether you passed your car test before 2001 or not. Fact.

    I believe if you take your CBT and you passed your car test before 2001 (not sure which month) you will gain full moped entitlement meaning you can ride a 50cc (not 125cc) without L Plates and with a passenger.

    I never took a cbt, ever, do you think I shouldn't be riding my big twin on the motorways?
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett


    http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.