Halloween 'trick or treat' ideas...?

Options

Comments

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I think you'll probably get more replies on the families board, so I'll move this over there for you.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Julieboo
    Options
    I adore Haloween and where we live everybody goes in for it big time. I usually get some cheap (aldi etc) bags of sweets or chocci bars in and hand them out if people catch us in. We go to Gullivers themepack though as they have a haloween party day/night where they have trick a treat hunts and everyone dresses up and goes on the rides, they also have live music/disco and acts. Yes it costs to get in but I would rather go here where its organised fun than let the kids go around the streets. p.s I don't mind if its American in origin, for me its a family tradition making costumes, painting faces, apple bobbin etc and having fun.
    Thanks to MSE and all the moneysaving tips I can now work PT (instead of FT) to pay the bills and still have fun!!:beer:
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    Last year I bought lots of little brown envelopes, about the size of a credit card. I stamped them with a Hallowe'en themed picture and popped a couple of penny sweets inside.
    Another year I made up a list of 'horrid treats' like witch's dandruff, rat's tail's, can't remember the others and bought sweets to correspond. So the dandruff was Rainbow drops, the tails liquorice bootlaces. I made up a selection of each, only a few to each envelope and I wrote all the different types out onto slips of paper and put them in a cauldron. Each trick or treater pulled out a piece of paper and got the relevant sweet. There were lots of groans at the names, but they went away happy.
    One really messy year I wrapped up fun size chocolate bars and put them in a bowl of jelly/rice krispies/ tinned fruit salad and other icky things. That was in pre money saving days as lots of kitchen roll was needed !
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    I'm quite lucky as I live near the Kinnerton factory so will be going over there nearer the time to get cheap chocolate to give to the kids. I see halloween as some fun and as we live in a safe area (RAF base) I don't see any harm in it. However, there are too many kids out without parents and too many teenagers who put on a mask and expect something for nothing. When I was little if you didn't tell a joke or sing a song you got nowt!!!!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We love Halloween and we alwys have a party and then go trick or treating, though we never actually do any tricks!
    We used to just knock on the doors of people we knew now we go to the houses with pumpkins/decorations. We get lots of people knocking on our door and I have a pumpkin bag with cheap sweets to give out. Tescos for example have value lollies that are ok to give out. I personally wouldn't be too keen for my kids to have homemade or unwrapped sweets but that's just me!!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I have never given anything for Halloween, as a Christian I think it is a bad thing, so any kids that come I tell them no I don't agree with it and as a mum I don't like the idea of kids being out on the streets or threatening someone else to give them presents. I never let my son go Trick or Treating or Penny for the Guy round the houses when he was young, for the above reasons.

How MS is that?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • kate1976
    kate1976 Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I can't help as I'm not a halloween fan but I'm sure I saw in asda cheap plastic pumpkin heads filled with sweets so you could maybe go for that!

I don't answer the door as it's all teenagers out begging for money round here, they even start about a week early!! :rolleyes:
    Kate
    xxx
    :Axxx
    "A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
    and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    I understand that - Samhain was a big part of my life as a Wiccan and I refuse to celebrate it now. These days I seem to spend Halloween time explaining to fellow Christians that no, Pagans aren't baby-eating goatshaggers with portable incinerators to dispose of the corpses of their victims. The likes of Doreen Irvine and Audrey Harper have a LOT to answer for.

Just to say, I agree with most of your post except the reference to Doreen Irvine.

There ARE powers of darkness, and Doreen Irvine has met them through her experience as a Witch.

I don't know who Audrey Harper is, so can't comment on that.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I have looked into Christian writers on the occult extensively; I served as an admin and missionary with Exwitch Ministries, and it was important for us to be aware what Christians were telling each other about the occult because so much of it was complete cack. I researched it for an article (mainly concentrating on Audrey Harper's book which Reachout Trust decided unwisely to republish a couple of years ago) which can be viewed on the Reachout Trust forum.

Doreen Irvine is a fake, a fraud, and a liar - she came out of the same Eric Hutchings stable as Harper. I know many of the people who were on the witchcraft scene at the same time that Irvine claims she was Witch Queen; her claims are quite simply rubbish. Far from being Witch Queen, no-one had ever heard of her; Witch Queen is a title reserved for 3rd degree Alexandrians, yet she was completely unknown to the Alexandrian scene. The claims she makes about sacrificing babies and cockerels do not and have not had any part in British witchcraft. She couldn't even decide which story she was going to tell: in 1973 she claimed a cockerel's throat was cut in her initiation, but by 1986 this had morphed into her having to bite the head off herself, so she claimed in a television interview.

The tired old Satanic Ritual Abuse claims have been extensively debunked; Jean Lafontaine was commissioned by the government in 1998 to research the phenomenon, and I was there when she presented her findings for the first time. Despite all the hoohaa in the Orkneys etc, there was not a single piece of evidence of SRA perpetrated.

Why do I feel so strongly about this? I hate lies. I hate the way the lives of Pagans have been devastated by the actions of Christians who sacrifice truth on the altar of their own soft-!!!!!! titillation. It's an exercise in group masturbation that leads to lives being wrecked. The only abuse going on there was by social workers who had sucked up American Christian lunacy about buried memories, portable incinerators to burn 1000 babies in Surrey each year etc etc.

If you read Doreen Irvine, Audrey Harper, Rebecca Brown, Mike Warnke, Bill Schnoebelen, Michelle Remembers et al it is possible to track the urban myths as they morph from one writer to another; they feed off each other, and the Christian public laps it up. I've known people whose children were removed on the basis of SRA claims; I know a woman raped with a broken glass bottle because some idiot Christians decided that was the best way to do an exorcism.

I am a Christian, I was a witch; I know there are spiritual forces. I've dealt with them. I expect Doreen Irvine has as well, but what she wrote in her book is NOT truth by anyone's standards. She bears culpability for the rubbish she wrote; she was so off her face on drugs she didn't know which way was up, but it hasn't stopped people lapping it up. She also bears responsibility for appearing in the truly apalling Jeremiah Film's production about witchcraft, where she claimed she had presided over a coven of 400 people who conducted human sacrifices.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    wigginsmum, I have pm'd you.

I have to say that I am a supporter of Reachout Trust ( was an Associate for several years) but have only personally have direct experience with ex JWs. I hear what you say and have no reason to disbelieve you, because so much of what Christians say about atheists is complete cack too. Are you saying that Doreen Irvine's experiences were drug-induced, rather than emanating from the Powers of Darkness?

Sorry to the OP for going off-topic.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure