Halloween 'trick or treat' ideas...?

Options
With Halloween on it's way, I was thinking about the sweets/gifts I normally give out to the local kiddies who come knocking.....

In the past, I've normally bought a huge tin of Roses or Quality Street to hand out, but - aside from 50% of them going down MY throat whenever I pass the front door (oops) - I was wondering if anybody has any 'Moneysaving' ideas for this year....?

(apart from telling the little beggars to pee off coz I'm not giving this year....lol...)

I don't mind making stuff, as long as it's not too expensive......
Dogs have owners, CATS have STAFF...

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Can't help you, I'm afraid - we never open the door on Halloween. I've got better things to do than be up and down every five minutes chucking unnecessary candy at children ;)
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • julybride
    Options
    hmmm... this is a tricky one because I know some mums throw away anything that is home made to be on the safe side if they don't know who gave it.

I'd try the pound shop as often they have bags of sweets cheap. or small token gifts

Wollies sometimes have offers on Haribo buy one get one free they do packs with about 25 bags in each so if its buy one get one free then they cost
    about 10p a bag

Or if you are a healthy treater your local market for fruit and may be able to get satsumas for 5p to 8p each
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 :D We did it!!!
  • Essex-girl_2
    Options
    I second julybride.

I start picking them up now and woolworths do do some good offers.

If Im near one I will sometimes pop into M&S as they do some fantastic Halloween sweets.

I absolutely adore Halloween and my village go for it in a big way. At the moment Ive got my eye on a big skull in clintons and always have loads of pumpkins.
  • mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't do it either I'm afraid
    one it's an american custom and
    two we spend our whole time telling kid's not to accept sweets from strangers and then the very same people encourage them to knock on a strangers door asking for sweets
    so I suppose in true os fashion don't do it and save even more
    I just stick an official note on the door from the local police hq website and no-one knocks

pam
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Last year I bought some really cheap sets on ebay for lollipops.They included the moulds,sticks and bags for wrapping.I used the milk chocolate topping bar from tescos and it did around 50.I'm sure the moulds etc were only around £3.99 and I have them still for my kids :D
    Another thing we did was hand out the free mini raisin packs which came with the trick or treat pumpkin heads in asda one year.:rotfl:
  • jellycat40
    Options
    As a Christian household i ban my kids and put a polite notice on the door saying that no trick or treaters will be answered. I print it off the net from north somerset and avon police site and it looks quite official.

We won't support a satanic festival even if it is done in fun.

Louise

All opinions are those of the poster and not of the moneysaving expert website in general !!!!! lol
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mrs_mix wrote:
    I just stick an official note on the door from the local polce hq website and no-one knocks

Mum and Dad do the same.
    I live in a flat and just leave the intercom phone off the hook.;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't open the door either.. I just think that so many people let there kids roam the streets after dark, on their own , knocking on complete strangers doors, its just too damn dangerous for the kids , glad to say both my daughters think that its too dangerous too.. even if accompanied I think its just begging with a theme....... sorry if this offends anyone but its my opinion....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Me and my kids used to love halloween.I made a point of really going to town decorating house.Door with cobwebs and spiders.We made bats from loo rolls to hang in trees.Screaming door mat foggy cauldron(dry ice),scary music then some truly horrid boys in my daughters class egged my car door and brickwork.I used to add to decorations each year.I was fuming especially as we gave them sweets.So theyve ruined it for future years.
    I normally buy the 5p lollies,lots of or look for multibuys on lollies.
    This year I wont be answering door or decorating outside.I may let my little ones get dressed up but we use face paints not masks and only go where there is pumpkins.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    jellycat40 wrote:
    As a Christian household i ban my kids and put a polite notice on the door saying that no trick or treaters will be answered. I print it off the net from north somerset and avon police site and it looks quite official.

We won't support a satanic festival even if it is done in fun.

I understand that - Samhain was a big part of my life as a Wiccan and I refuse to celebrate it now. These days I seem to spend Halloween time explaining to fellow Christians that no, Pagans aren't baby-eating goatshaggers with portable incinerators to dispose of the corpses of their victims. The likes of Doreen Irvine and Audrey Harper have a LOT to answer for.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure