PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

the takeaway secret

Options

Comments

• midnightraven3
    Options
    i have also ordered one
    thank you for letting us know
    love new cookery books
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    merlin1 wrote: »
    excellent! post up everyone when it arrives eh?

i'm going to try one new recipe a week, although we have had the kfc style 3 times in 3 weeks! i dont deep fry it though, shallow fry til golden then finish in the oven.

what is good also is that he gives healthier cooking alternatives than the takeaway would do... a little less guilt, but its really much lighter on the pocket than ordering in! :rotfl: mind you having said that he has included subs and deli sandwiches too :cool:

ETA, my tandoori will be done soon so will review that soon! ttfn

was really tempted by this but am doing slimming world at the mo so wasnt sure if it would be suitable or adaptable without losing the takeaway taste ???
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation - I have also ordered a copy!
  • merlin1
    merlin1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    ~daisy~ wrote: »
    was really tempted by this but am doing slimming world at the mo so wasnt sure if it would be suitable or adaptable without losing the takeaway taste ???

Hi Daisy, slimming world is the red day green day thing isnt it? if you want to give me an idea of the type of takeaways you like, be specific on the dishes, i'll have a look for you and see how it could be altered. to be honest most of the recipes i've read it seems the key is the spices and flavours more than anything. there's vegetarian stuff in there, and also italian etc as well as the side salads and stuff. for such a small book it really is packed! :D

for example the tandoori chicken and naan breads i did last night (which were to die for!) i used a natural pro biotic yoghurt, low fat milk and halved the amount of oil in the marinade. the naan breads i dry fried/toasted in a pan, and the tandoori chicken (no skin) is oven cooked on a wire rack in a roasting tin so any grease and fat drains away?

:)
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Arrived this morning via citylink my son has amazon prime and I tagged my account on to his ;)

Merlin I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far so thankyou again for posting this!
    Rather than being all cook in sauces and stuff its proper ingredients which are easily sourced for a change.
    A good variety of dishes too so I'll be experimenting with it soon.
    I miss my indian takeaways..noone else likes indian food here so in 20+ years of marriage I've never managed to get a takeaway and although I cook indian food its never quite as good (apart from my bombay potatoes which are lush :rotfl:)
  • merlin1
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Arrived this morning via citylink my son has amazon prime and I tagged my account on to his ;)

Merlin I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far so thankyou again for posting this!
    Rather than being all cook in sauces and stuff its proper ingredients which are easily sourced for a change.
    A good variety of dishes too so I'll be experimenting with it soon.
    I miss my indian takeaways..noone else likes indian food here so in 20+ years of marriage I've never managed to get a takeaway and although I cook indian food its never quite as good (apart from my bombay potatoes which are lush :rotfl:)

cor that was quick! i'm pleased you like it so far! really do try the tandoori its just perfect. my mate reckons better than the takeaway at half the cost!

what you say about the ingredients was one thing that pleasantly surprised me too! :D

i'm looking forward to reading on here how the recipes go for you all! :)

AHA! via city link - that means you can hide it from hubby!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah but he brought me another packet anyway lol :o
    Amazon Prime is well worth the money IF you buy a fair few books I think.Its around £45 a year and I can order up to 5pm for next day delivery.I go halves with my son so it really only costs me £22.50.
    My youngest has the patience of a gnat so its a godsend for me :D
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Chinese Food. recipes posted on here a while back that are the real deal.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • merlin1
    Options
    i book marked that a while ago - tis a good link. :)
  • 4Chickens
    4Chickens Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered my copy.

Last night had mixed shish kebab takeaway and ashamedly threw 2/3 of it away as there was way too much. Now I can cook my own and reduce the portion sizes accordingly.

Cheers:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family