MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Options

Comments

• Running_On_Empty
    Options
    Please read original thread from the beginning and see each preposterous instalment unfold.

The author is a comic genius.

Can we unmask him?

Is he:
    Paul Merton?
    Rowan Atkinson?
    John Cleese?
    Clement Freud, or is he now the late C Freud?
    Aleksandr Orlov?
    Christopher Fry?

Who is this comic genius?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If the sale falls through, will they want to come and dig it up again ? I'd say No. The best solution is to have their dog cremated and sprinkle its ashes in your garden if they move there, but that would cost money and if money is tight for them, a burial would be a free option.
  • Missconduct
    Missconduct Posts: 251 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2010 at 5:37PM
    Options
    They may not want to cremate their dog. I would urge them to exchange as soon as possible (we've just lot our cat and the vet has told us there's no rush to decide whether we want to have him back to bury him or whether we want to cremate him, we can take as long as want, so they must have the facilities to keep him in the meantime) and let them bury the dog between exchange and completion (you could have the provision that they can do so built into the contract - we had the provision that we could move our fish tanks in between exchange and completion because it took two full days to do it). That way, both parties are safeguarded. They should be keen to get to exchange as quickly as they can on that basis.
  • lyndorset
    lyndorset Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the problem with having a dog buried in your garden?

Apparantly it can effect the water course. If you can prove that it wil not effect the water course, I think its OK. This has been a problem for farmers with fallen livestock for a while and is only recently having repercussions for people with pets. I think you can still dig a vry deep hole, and use quick lime, but not sure.

Personally, I have no problem with buring pets in a garden and this seller could use it as a way to ensure a sale, by getting a legal person to write up a contract whereby the potential buyer have to do or pay something if the house purchase did not go ahead! They would have to satisfy themselves it is not just someone without a garden trying to get somewhere to bury their great dane. Pet creamations are very exspensive and probably more so for great dane size pets!
  • beans
    beans Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Tell them that they can do what they like after 'completion' & they've moved-in, and that they should put the dog in a deep-freeze [theirs or the vet's] until then.

My parents had a request to build a huge pond very close the house by the purchaser. They said no, because of potential problems due to subsidence / insurance. The house sale went through.
  • Throbbly
    Options
    I f I were you I should dig the hole myself and get the critter in the ground asap. There can surely be no better guarantee that the sale will go through.
  • Beekeeper_2
    Options
    Yes, I think you should allow them to. If they want to have the dogs remains with them when they move then it being buried in your garden is going to pretty much seal the deal.
    Even if the deal fell through then at worst you have a large dog buried in your garden which really isnt going to hurt anyone as long (as he's in deep enough to not get dug up by foxes etc!) and it is NOT illegal to bury your pet in the garden.

However, if you are worried about the headache of the burial and having the dog there while you still live there, I wonder if it is possible to organise a non-refundable deposit for this part of the deal? So, for example they pay you £500 of the house price now (ie before exchange) to guarantee you that they are not pulling out and leaving you with the dog. In case they do you are £500 up...not sure how easily that is organised but it may be an option, they seem very attached to the pet and it does not seem an unreasonable request!
  • akarnold
    akarnold Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you people realise, the dog is dead and buried.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    akarnold wrote: »
    Don't you people realise, the dog is dead and buried.

And will become unburied on Saturday :eek:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Marpet_2
    Options
    jay.tyler wrote: »
    This is the easiest yet. The answer is of course no.

This is for the reason that it is illegal to bury pets in your garden. I'd suggest something along the lines of "I am a law abiding citizen and would not like to aid or abet you in your illegal activites, please leave my property".

I thought better of this site but I guess it's indicative of the downhill ride of this site.

It is not illegal to bury a dead pet in your garden, but the hole must be at least 6' deep.

The ideal solution especially as it is a big dog would be to have it cremated and then if the house sale is finalized they can then scatter or bury the ashes.
    However, do not let them bury anything in your garden until the sale is finalized.

We have had dogs for many years, many buried in our garden, but our Retreiver we had cremated as she was a larger dog.

So say no but do not feel bad about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport