MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Options

Comments

• henpecked1
    Options
    to our vendor,

when we asked you to bury 'Lady' we appreciated your sensitivity, helpfulness at a time which was distressing for us all. We didn't realise until tonight when our friend called us that you have so blatently spun the story to entertain a public forum.

Firstly, the 'Koi' that you refer to were nothing more than oversized goldfish which all died on the way back home, probably from oxygen starvation. The 'peg bag' and the 'bag for life' you so comically refer to were there to protect Lady's face from the soil. How would you appreciate being buried face down in the soil.

Our daughter is very upset with you and we are all very upset that we entrusted our family pet to your garden and subsequent 'forum banter'. We hope you realise how insensitive you are. The comment which hurt most is when we asked to measure up the house to see if our furniture would fit, a natural part of the buying process and you proceeded to tell the forum "oh the living room and garden is big enough to swing a dead dog, as demonstrated in the last 24 hours".

Whilst we are being honest and open, we found your wife very rude. We stood there in your garden and she comes out and asks "does anywhere know where the peg is" It was your husband who offered us the peg bag in the first place.

We are now reconsidering whether to purchase your house, not because there is anything wrong with it, but that we refuse to spend another 20 years paying off a mortgage to provide your rude family with a step up the ladder. We will be speaking to the agent, who appears equally insensitive tomorrow.

MJ

TO THE JONES FAMILY,

I have thought very carefully about how to write this reply and of course i understand you reading this thread will have made too much light on the subject. Thank you also for your PM (private message) which has prompted me to reply to you all tonight.
    firstly, i think you will agree that upon reading the replies on both threads that there is overwhelming support for me to have refused to let you bury your dog in our garden. I have never in all my years of reading these threads come across a situation where a vendor has been asked to take a risk on a purchaser before. I think you have been lucky and it was my right to consult others for an opinion even if i went against there advice.
    it was taken aback when you turned up at the house with your deceased dog in your boot with a 'bag for life' over it's head (for understandable reasons) and a pitchfork. To help you, i dug up the pond in the garden which i felt would give sufficient space to lay your dog to rest. to find that evening that the dog wouldnt fit. The fish (which were Koi) had to be located to the bathroom and eventually died in transit. that could not be helped but i am sure the tupperware sandwich boxes probably contributed to the fishes demise if we are both honest.
    selling a house is a very stressful time for anyone and of course we want to be helpful to you. looking back, yes my comments regarding swinging a dead dog round the living room could be insensitive but i felt over those couple of days i had been over curteous. the amount of cleaning we had to do to the garden area and the house not to mention the damage to the garden from draining the pond took its toll when you wanted to come round 24 hours later to measure up.

i apologise for my wife. She was aware when she made the comment about where the peg bag was that the dog was wearing it, i am afraid she couldnt see the funny side of you taking the tesco carrier bag back with you to reuse it when she had to give up her mums peg back. of course, yes i offered the peg bag as i wouldnt want any face to be buried in soil. i respect the dogs dignity,your PM to me threatens to pull out of the deal OR TO DROP OUR PRICE BY 2K. what do you propose to do with the dog, currently the dog appears to be in a shallow grave and is, I am afraid starting to go off to which i am going to have to buy some lavender or something to plant nearby. you did mention you would do something about this, but what happens if you did pull out?we will have incurred out of pocket expenses in removing the pond and the state of the garden would take 6 months to recover back to the standard it was before, i.e. saleable.

i appreciate you are upset and i hope that we can continue with our sale to you. i am sorry if my comments have upset you but i hope you can take some comfort that my character was to be helpful when you need it. if you want me to remove the posts i will do.:A
  • wirdy
    wirdy Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting topic.
    I think I'd have gone with your decision to bury the pet.

You are obviously a decent person and made the decision for the right reasons. Should this family pull out of the sale, they are morally obliged to make good the damage caused to your garden. Hopefully it wouldn't come to it, but a small claims court Judge would agree.
  • Running_On_Empty
    Options
    to our vendor,

when we asked you to bury 'Lady' we appreciated your sensitivity, helpfulness at a time which was distressing for us all. We didn't realise until tonight when our friend called us that you have so blatently spun the story to entertain a public forum.

Firstly, the 'Koi' that you refer to were nothing more than oversized goldfish which all died on the way back home, probably from oxygen starvation. The 'peg bag' and the 'bag for life' you so comically refer to were there to protect Lady's face from the soil. How would you appreciate being buried face down in the soil.

Our daughter is very upset with you and we are all very upset that we entrusted our family pet to your garden and subsequent 'forum banter'. We hope you realise how insensitive you are. The comment which hurt most is when we asked to measure up the house to see if our furniture would fit, a natural part of the buying process and you proceeded to tell the forum "oh the living room and garden is big enough to swing a dead dog, as demonstrated in the last 24 hours".

Whilst we are being honest and open, we found your wife very rude. We stood there in your garden and she comes out and asks "does anywhere know where the peg is" It was your husband who offered us the peg bag in the first place.

We are now reconsidering whether to purchase your house, not because there is anything wrong with it, but that we refuse to spend another 20 years paying off a mortgage to provide your rude family with a step up the ladder. We will be speaking to the agent, who appears equally insensitive tomorrow.

MJ

So would this be a complaint that your dog’s pegged it or that you’ve bagged a bargain?
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    henpecked1 wrote: »
    TO THE JONES FAMILY,

I have thought very carefully about how to write this reply and of course i understand you reading this thread will have made too much light on the subject. Thank you also for your PM (private message) which has prompted me to reply to you all tonight.
    firstly, i think you will agree that upon reading the replies on both threads that there is overwhelming support for me to have refused to let you bury your dog in our garden. I have never in all my years of reading these threads come across a situation where a vendor has been asked to take a risk on a purchaser before. I think you have been lucky and it was my right to consult others for an opinion even if i went against there advice.
    it was taken aback when you turned up at the house with your deceased dog in your boot with a 'bag for life' over it's head (for understandable reasons) and a pitchfork. To help you, i dug up the pond in the garden which i felt would give sufficient space to lay your dog to rest. to find that evening that the dog wouldnt fit. The fish (which were Koi) had to be located to the bathroom and eventually died in transit. that could not be helped but i am sure the tupperware sandwich boxes probably contributed to the fishes demise if we are both honest.
    selling a house is a very stressful time for anyone and of course we want to be helpful to you. looking back, yes my comments regarding swinging a dead dog round the living room could be insensitive but i felt over those couple of days i had been over curteous. the amount of cleaning we had to do to the garden area and the house not to mention the damage to the garden from draining the pond took its toll when you wanted to come round 24 hours later to measure up.

i apologise for my wife. She was aware when she made the comment about where the peg bag was that the dog was wearing it, i am afraid she couldnt see the funny side of you taking the tesco carrier bag back with you to reuse it when she had to give up her mums peg back. of course, yes i offered the peg bag as i wouldnt want any face to be buried in soil. i respect the dogs dignity,your PM to me threatens to pull out of the deal OR TO DROP OUR PRICE BY 2K. what do you propose to do with the dog, currently the dog appears to be in a shallow grave and is, I am afraid starting to go off to which i am going to have to buy some lavender or something to plant nearby. you did mention you would do something about this, but what happens if you did pull out?we will have incurred out of pocket expenses in removing the pond and the state of the garden would take 6 months to recover back to the standard it was before, i.e. saleable.

i appreciate you are upset and i hope that we can continue with our sale to you. i am sorry if my comments have upset you but i hope you can take some comfort that my character was to be helpful when you need it. if you want me to remove the posts i will do.:A

Wasn't sure if I believed it until this post. Introducing "thejonesfamily" made me doubt it a lot. Now I'm sure it's BS!
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Heheee.

Were it factual, I'd probably go with yes, if I liked 'em, if I thought they were twonks, I'd have to say no. But they'd have to do the digging, and put the garden back to rights, and promise not to come dig up the garden again if they change their minds.

Hoho, peg bag and bag for life, that is funny.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you want me to remove the posts i will do
    What a courteous offer. You may want to ask what the Jones suggest you replace the posts with, otherwise the fence will fall down and you'll have another problem to sort out.
    If you need to exhume the dog, you might need to buy a NCB suit - I'm sure you'll find one on ebay.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • NatFeerick
    Options
    No-one's thinking smart here. If the MoneySaver is 100% certain they themselves will not have any reason to want to pull out of the sale (i.e. if their purchase falls through) they could use this request to speed things along and tell their buyer 'Yes of course you can, as soon as we complete'.
    Presentation is everything.
    Anything less than this and the MoneySaver simply points out the impracticalities if the sale were to fall through for any reason - put the ball back in the buyers' court!
    :money: Dedicated disciple of MoneySavingExpert.com and Savvy MoneySaver :A
    Mortgage Free ahead of schedule November 2008! :T

Calvin (to Hobbes) - "Sometimes the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere is that none of it has tried to contact us."
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2636903

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Read the original thread folks it's hilarious:rotfl: Ever thought of writing comedy for TV Henpecked?:rotfl:
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it didn't involve a confused buyer and their dead dog I'd be rolling over laughing - he has a great sense of humor and the conversation is so gentle and amusing; that said to me it looks like the OP has made those posts in good faith, as if to lighten up the stress he's going through or anticipating - no cardinal sin has been committed.

The real odd one out is the so called friend who transpired the thread to this buyer. I do feel sorry for the buyer who has been exposed in what appears to be a funny light but he was entirely inappropriate to have expected the dog to be buried in a total stranger's land/property even before the purchase. The OP must be a very kind man to have permitted it, helped him so much and I hope the significance of that gesture isn't trivialised whilst they are busy wallowing in self-pity.

I hope all goes well for you op. I wish I had that kind of confidence and able to take it if life were to throw such at me. I'm positive I would have fainted if I had to recieve someone with a dead dog in a boot; it would've been next to impossible to get me to see sense leave alone gone so far helping someone. I genuinely appreciate this kindness; such instances lend strength and character to those lacking in it.

ps: I didn't quite understand the goldfish part of the incident
  • behelpful
    Options
    They could bury the dog in their garden; then have it moved at the appropriate time - search for 'pet crematorium' and 'exhumation service'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure