MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Options

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Okay, so it's perfectly legal to bury your deceased pet in your garden as long as that's the house where it lived.

So, if you want to move house and exhume & rebury your pet in the new house's garden, would that still be legal?

From the definition given, I'd say it probably isn't unless you get the right permission from the council.

If it were me, I'd be very likely to say no, at least until the contracts were all exchanged and I knew they weren't going to drop out.

I'd definitely want something in the contracts saying that if I agreed with it, then they're responsible for all costs in burying and exhuming their pet if anything falls through.
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Since when has it been illegal yo bury pets in garden? We always do, and will.
    Oh well, I'm in the minority but I would say yes, they can't pull out then, can they.
    :rotfl:
  • Snazbaz
    Snazbaz Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if it's legal or not, but I know I wouldn't be asking if I could bury my dog in someone's garden before I'd moved in - it wouldn't feel right. I agree with the others, ask them to wait or have it cremated and sprinkle the ashes after exchange. What would happen if the sale fell through - would they be asking to come back and dig it up again?
  • p_rushby
    Options
    trejoy wrote: »
    Since when has it been illegal yo bury pets in garden? We always do, and will.
    Oh well, I'm in the minority but I would say yes, they can't pull out then, can they.
    :rotfl:

anything that can help towards a sale completion is worth a go..
  • rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Among the most stupid posts I've ever read. Copyright theft is illegal. Just because the police wouldn't necessarily deal with the matter doesn't mean it's not illegal.

I think many people distinguish between "illegal" (criminal matter) and "unlawful" (civil matter).

-rapido
  • mitchelkitman
    Options
    Simple.... Offer to keep it in the freezer antil after exchange!
  • easwara
    easwara Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    let them ury it but say if deal falls threw you are going to charge them ... amount of money or you'll bin the remains. incentive for them to make sure deal goes through too then
  • doobs_too
    Options

:mad:

MJ

I can understand you're upset but have you read the trouble the OP went to to accommodate your request. He bent over backwards, got in trouble with the wife and cleaned for hours to help you out. Why do you think he did all of that?

I think that considering the huge effort he went to, that many wouldn't, you might be able to find the strength to forgive this internet indiscretion.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    to our vendor,

when we asked you to bury 'Lady' we appreciated your sensitivity, helpfulness at a time which was distressing for us all. We didn't realise until tonight when our friend called us that you have so blatently spun the story to entertain a public forum.

Firstly, the 'Koi' that you refer to were nothing more than oversized goldfish which all died on the way back home, probably from oxygen starvation. The 'peg bag' and the 'bag for life' you so comically refer to were there to protect Lady's face from the soil. How would you appreciate being buried face down in the soil.

Our daughter is very upset with you and we are all very upset that we entrusted our family pet to your garden and subsequent 'forum banter'. We hope you realise how insensitive you are. The comment which hurt most is when we asked to measure up the house to see if our furniture would fit, a natural part of the buying process and you proceeded to tell the forum "oh the living room and garden is big enough to swing a dead dog, as demonstrated in the last 24 hours".

Whilst we are being honest and open, we found your wife very rude. We stood there in your garden and she comes out and asks "does anywhere know where the peg is" It was your husband who offered us the peg bag in the first place.

We are now reconsidering whether to purchase your house, not because there is anything wrong with it, but that we refuse to spend another 20 years paying off a mortgage to provide your rude family with a step up the ladder. We will be speaking to the agent, who appears equally insensitive tomorrow.

MJ

Quelle surprise. Where's the dead dog now ?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • caddyman_2
    Options
    Bury the dog. It's a sign of commitment. If the sale falls through, so what? It's no big deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure