Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Hi all, after reading this thread I've tried my hardest to haggle but couldn't get anything from the online support assistant! Does anyone mind if I post the thread here from the support window?
  • alspants123
    Options
    Hi all, after reading this thread I've tried my hardest to haggle but couldn't get anything from the online support assistant! Does anyone mind if I post the thread here from the support window?
    who are you negotiating with?? virgin, sky etc as a general rule dont deal with the online help as they just read what is already online, you need to have the conversation with a "real" person in retentions, you will find all sorts of discount there!
  • laurasplog
    Options
    Our bill had gradually crept up from £30 to £50 per month (basic TV, broadband and line rental) so I phoned to tell them Virgin had offered us a better deal.

We were paying with Sky

£19.50 TV
    £10.25 HD
    £7.50 Broadband
    £12.25 Line Rental

After going through the rigmorale of pretending to be my husband to give Customer Retentions permission to talk to me (including fake deep voice), they offered us free line rental and broadband for 9 months. So I've accepted and made a diary note to call them back in September!

:T

Saving £20 per month - not bad.

Laura
  • martins298
    Options
    Hmm - just went through the disconnection process with Virgin in the hope of getting a nice offer - they were prepared to discount by £4 a month but that was the only offer. Process went through very quickly - and I'm now getting disconnected in a month! Oops. Ah well...

Does anyone know if VM are likely to call me in the next 30 days with a better offer? Do I hold my nerve, or call back with my tail between my legs...?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes likely to call, in most cases the people that you talk to on inbound customer relations aka Retentions have a limited range of offers to keep you. Outbound Retentions seem to have better offers.

Good luck

Anon
  • money_free_2011
    Options
    Guys,

I this good and has anyone got any advice to get it cheaper.

We have VM, with XL TV, Lrage BB, Phone, Line rental and mutliroon x1 currently cost £57 per month.

VM have just offered - All of the above with Full sky sports package for £61.49 (Should cost £80.90)

Now I am happy with this, but if I can squeeze more out of the deal I will.

Can I get TIVO on top? As she said i can for free but will cost £49 connection fee but free installation?

:beer:
    andy
    I AM DEBT FREE 18/6/12
    SAVINGS = £10100
  • wayne77
    wayne77 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    How can I get an HD box from Sky,without HD subs?
  • holbob
    holbob Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just spoken with Sky as our TV contract is up next month, and the guy said they had no offers going whatsoever and couldn't drop the price unless I dropped services (we have sports package). So I asked to cancel - we can't do it for a few days due to the 31 days notice. Maybe I was just unlucky but i'm a genuine one we really do need to cut costs! I asked to lose Sky Sports 3&4 but that was a no go as far as cutting the cost was concerned according to the operator. Last year before we moved house (under my name, current account is under my partners), they offered us a 6 month deal of 2 entertainment packs and sky sports 1 for £21/month. Was hoping for something similar but apparently they can't split the sports according to the guy I spoke to.
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    Sky are offering 6 months half price until the 7th December when a new deal will become available.

@holbob - phone up again and speak to someone else. The sports package can't be split as it's an "all in one".
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • money_free_2011
    Options
    Guys,

I posted a few days ago saying I had a good deal with virgin! However I just called to order the deal:

XL TV
    Additional box upstairs
    L BROADBAND
    SKY SPORTS
    PHONE LINE AND PHONE SERVICE

should be 81.50 got it for £61.40!

Now, I had been told existing customers just could not get TiVo free! They insist on 49.99 install fee!

Well rubbish! After saying I got the above package for £55 with sky I suddenly was offered TiVo 500gb (ok so it's not the 1TB) completely free and will move the v+hd upstairs getting rid of the standard one we had!

Don't forget ESPN And HD package is included!

My tip with this:

I rang up near to end of contract after being with them 2 yrs! Found out what they could offer!

I then said I wanted to compare with sky and would call back!

3 days later called back explaining thanks for the offer but sky can beat it (which they did but did not include ESPN and HD package or multiroom). They then said well our TiVo box is better, to which I answered "that all well, but you have only offered TiVo with a cost which I do not want to pay". Suddenly I'm offered the package with TiVo and no additional costs!

Needless to say I am happy with this and if circumstances. Hangs you can always reduce the package by £20 by getting rid of sports! Happy days!

Good luck!
    I AM DEBT FREE 18/6/12
    SAVINGS = £10100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills