Blue Badge 'police'

Options

Comments

• ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2010 at 3:47PM
    Options
    lucylucky wrote: »
    How long can they wait in the car before they get out?

I know you are having trouble with that question but have a go;)
    They can wait in the car as long as they need to - as long as they are going to get out! I don't see where I've shown that I have trouble with that question, so please feel free to point out where I've avoided it.

I sometimes sit in my car for a few minutes before getting out, and then for a few more before driving off. But if I don't intend to leave the car, I park elsewhere and leave the accessible space for a disabled person who needs it. I hope that's clear enough for you.

Edit: just read Sandra Scarlett's comments and completely agree with her. I don't normally rise to bait on here and I apologise for doing so today. Time for me to butt out, I think :-)
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That and because my backside is roughly the size of Milton Keynes.

:p

I have that problem with my boobs...the blasted things, even at goal weight, I could still give Jordan a run for her money. :rotfl:
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    They can wait in the car as long as they need to - as long as they are going to get out! I don't see where I've shown that I have trouble with that question, so please feel free to point out where I've avoided it.

I sometimes sit in my car for a few minutes before getting out, and then for a few more before driving off. But if I don't intend to leave the car, I park elsewhere and leave the accessible space for a disabled person who needs it. I hope that's clear enough for you.

Edit: just read Sandra Scarlett's comments and completely agree with her. I don't normally rise to bait on here and I apologise for doing so today. Time for me to butt out, I think :-)

Excellent idea.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Because its disabled bay abuse, as the poster said " if this is abuse of his blue badge, so be it."

The people who agree with this or any other type of abuse cant need wide bays or they wouldnt abuse disabled bays or defend the abusers, I can account for my badge 24/7/365 and I can swear that it has never been abused and if every badge holder was the same life as a disabled person would be much easier.

How is it abuse if he is intending to get out of the car??

and my last comment here for the moment

REMEMBER MARTINS PLEA "Be nice to all Moneysavers"
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Madz
    Madz Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    So, how many people think it's acceptable to use a disabled space so the non-disabled person doesn't get tired?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What makes me laugh is when I see an old person with a blue badge giving someone a lift to pick something up. They still park in a disabled bay even though they don't get out of the car. They just sit and wait for the (young able-bodied) person to return.

Of course the person having the lift could be disabled too but always makes you wonder.

Also blue badge holders who park in the local supermarket car park disabled bays next to the entrance to use the doctors across the road. It would make more sense to park at the back of the car park as it is nearer to where they want to be!

:D
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I have had all the looks and the grey haired !!!!! thinking I shouldnt be in a disabled bay (especially since I looked like a teenage after the crash) but since Im deaf I cant hear them and its pretty obvious I am disabled because Ive never been able to walk unaided since the crash, if I was questioned I would just show them the badge,. . . . QUOTE]

Sorry, but I cannot understand the highlighted section of your post. My husband has white hair at the front, though the back is grey. The words "and the grey haired", followed by several exclamation marks, would indicate that there is some humour attached to having grey hair, but I cannot puzzle this out.

At first I thought you were talking in a disparaging or mocking tone about people with grey hair, but as you have written at length about your disabilities, I have obviously misunderstood you, as it isn't anyone's fault if they grow old, and lose their hair colour. No more is it anyone's fault if they are born with, or develop, disabilities.

Also, you talk about looking like a teenager after the crash, and it's "obvious" you're disabled. And, in a nutshell, you have succinctly summed up the attitude that a few people have, ie, you can only be considered disabled by the outside world, if you have a wheelchair. BBs are issued to people who are deemed sufficiently disabled to need one, and the parking spaces are available for all the BB holders.

If a parking space has a notice specifically stating that it is for wheelchair users only, then the description of the potential occupant's disability is obvious. But if it doesn't state this, then anyone with a BB can park there, whether they are young or old, have glossy dark curls, or straight grey hair, with a stick or walking frame or not.

They do not have to explain their disability to anybody, and providing they are displaying a current BB, they have every right to park there. I cannot feel my husband's pain, nor that of anybody else, and nor can they feel mine.

Heaven forbid anyone should ever be made to feel they are "abusing" their BB, because they have driven, or been driven, into a bay for BB holders, and that a few people feel a thorough explanation of their reasons for doing so is mandatory.

xx
  • Madz
    Madz Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    But if it doesn't state this, then anyone with a BB can park there, whether they are young or old, have glossy dark curls, or straight grey hair, with a stick or walking frame or not.

Only if they're getting out of the car :D

Round and round and round we go......
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Madz wrote: »
    Only if they're getting out of the car :D

Round and round and round we go......

I'll bow to your superior knowledge, but where in the "rules" does it state this please?

xx
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Madz wrote: »
    So, how many people think it's acceptable to use a disabled space so the non-disabled person doesn't get tired?

I don't! Full stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport