Blue Badge 'police'

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I do take your point pwales....like with a double buggy (one of my previous posts), a wide space is essential for those who have to use a wheelchair. A normal width one would be pretty much an impossibility to use for someone in a wheelchair due to the laws of physics....simply a big chair will not go in a small space.

My point was basically saying though that there are other users apart from those in wheelchairs, where a wide space is an essential for their being able to get into and out of their vehicles.

Re your last point - Try stopping my dad, he drives my mum bananas with wanting to get out and about regardless about how it effects his health! He overdid things last night because he was bored stuck in the house, so attempted to walk up the road to the post box (not a huge distance) and consequently, his legs were refusing to co-ordinate to move. The nagging he got from my mum.....:rotfl:
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • pwales_2
    Options
    agreed single sue :beer:, got a grandad sound just like him lol
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    But you are able bodied. Pregnancy is neither an illness nor a disability.

Double standards! Women fought for years to get pregnancy classed as natural and not an illness or disability but now you are using it to park in a P&T slot.

So the toddler is actually a secondary reason for parking in a P&T slot?

:rotfl:Not even bothering . Sorry .
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No one mentioned the higherarcy of disability then people bring it up to justify blue badge abuse, I havnt always been a wheelchair user, I dragged my useless legs about for well over a decade till I was physically unable to do it anymore so thats that excuse out of the window.

Next!

I like the assumption of other posters that pain is a good enough reason for the walking disabled not to leave the car but assuming wheelchair users have no pain, wrong, Im in more pain now because sitting down hurts as much as every other position because my fluffed sciatic nerves but I have no choice anymore and my arms cant even self propel due to pain/hands not working.

I cant be bothered to read your excuses for disabled bay abuse hippy gran, but I hope that you get caught soon and hopefully if its in the local rag it will stop other BB owners from abusing the system believing just because they hava a badge its ok for the wife/child/gran etc. to use their badges.

jojo who said " I would not appreciate you ripping my head off."? certainly not me, being as deaf as a post and people having difficulties understanding my flat voice means I avoid speaking to strangers.

I reiterate, until badge holders stop their badges being abused what chance have we got with people who park in disables bays without a badge at all.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a good enough reason, in your opinion, for a disabled person not to leave the car?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Madz wrote: »
    I find it interesting when people get defensive over issues such as these. I see people giving me funny looks when I use a disabled bay and it does rankle but in essence they are trying to protect people like me. Once I remember that I feel differently about them. We all know that the scheme gets abused and the people who speak out about it are only trying to address that.
    sunnyone wrote: »
    jojo who said " I would not appreciate you ripping my head off."? certainly not me, being as deaf as a post and people having difficulties understanding my flat voice means I avoid speaking to strangers.

I reiterate, until badge holders stop their badges being abused what chance have we got with people who park in disables bays without a badge at all.

To Madz, I find it more that I am being judged if I am challenged. As by implication, that means I don't look 'entitled', which only serves to perpetuate myths and preconceptions of the disabled. Why would I wish to justify myself to someone with no legal authority and discuss my medical condition in the middle of the street? Surely I still have a right to privacy as regards random people in the street and my medical records?

Sunnyone, you are extremely eloquent in expressing your anger towards other people online. I did not know you have difficulties communicating verbally, but as that is the case, whilst I am aware you are a wheelchair user (and I'm probably setting myself up for a gigantic fail here), would you not find it difficult to be confronted by someone demanding to know why you are in the disabled bay and if you were actually going to be getting out of the car before your chair has been taken out? If someone had used the exact same words as you have on here, in the manner that they have come across, I would find that to be extremely hostile and confrontational. Many would be distressed.

What is the perception going to be of a person without any mobility issues if they see someone with a hidden disability being confronted by someone with an obvious one? They're going to think 'even that person there with the chair knows they're faking it. The spaces are only for people in wheelchairs.' which leads on to the only disabled person in the minds of those unaware being the one in a wheelchair. Surely we should be past the point of the stereotype of the poor, defenceless victim in the wheelchair, rather than perpetuating it?

Personally, I need the extra space in a disabled bay to get myself in and out as I can't twist about, straighten my legs or always lift myself in one seamless motion. That and because my backside is roughly the size of Milton Keynes.

:p
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • ShockingPink
    Options
    lucylucky wrote: »
    Is there a good enough reason, in your opinion, for a disabled person not to leave the car?

There are plenty of good reasons for disabled people to stay in the car; but they shouldn't park in a disabled space, unless they're getting out.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    There are plenty of good reasons for disabled people to stay in the car; but they shouldn't park in a disabled space, unless they're getting out.

How long can they wait in the car before they get out?

I know you are having trouble with that question but have a go;)
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To Madz, I find it more that I am being judged if I am challenged. As by implication, that means I don't look 'entitled', which only serves to perpetuate myths and preconceptions of the disabled. Why would I wish to justify myself to someone with no legal authority and discuss my medical condition in the middle of the street? Surely I still have a right to privacy as regards random people in the street and my medical records?

Sunnyone, you are extremely eloquent in expressing your anger towards other people online. I did not know you have difficulties communicating verbally, but as that is the case, whilst I am aware you are a wheelchair user (and I'm probably setting myself up for a gigantic fail here), would you not find it difficult to be confronted by someone demanding to know why you are in the disabled bay and if you were actually going to be getting out of the car before your chair has been taken out? If someone had used the exact same words as you have on here, in the manner that they have come across, I would find that to be extremely hostile and confrontational. Many would be distressed.

What is the perception going to be of a person without any mobility issues if they see someone with a hidden disability being confronted by someone with an obvious one? They're going to think 'even that person there with the chair knows they're faking it. The spaces are only for people in wheelchairs.' which leads on to the only disabled person in the minds of those unaware being the one in a wheelchair. Surely we should be past the point of the stereotype of the poor, defenceless victim in the wheelchair, rather than perpetuating it?

Personally, I need the extra space in a disabled bay to get myself in and out as I can't twist about, straighten my legs or always lift myself in one seamless motion. That and because my backside is roughly the size of Milton Keynes.

:p

I have had all the looks and the grey haired !!!!! thinking I shouldnt be in a disabled bay (especially since I looked like a teenage after the crash) but since Im deaf I cant hear them and its pretty obvious I am disabled because Ive never been able to walk unaided since the crash, if I was questioned I would just show them the badge, my aunt has a very bad heart and she has her own badge but dosnt look disabled and the same would apply for her or for my husband if his application is granted, he dosnt look disabled but he has stage 4 kidney failure, hypothiroidism, malignant hypertension, a cyst in his pelvic bone and a bad heart etc. but he would never use my badge because he knows it would be wrong (hes only just done the form for a BB on our GP's advice and she wants him to apply for DLA, as does each of his consultants)

Many disabilities mean that you need a wide bay but many can also manage in normal bays at a squeeze too, wheelchair users who cant stand at all cant and have to just give up and go home when people are abusing the bays, I want a rear entry drive from wheelchair WAV so that i can go out alone and if I can save up enough to get one I wouldnt use disabled bays because I wouldnt need one.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    I've read this thread, and re-read it several times, and cannot believe the bitter tone used by some posters. The fact that we, or our children/partners/parents have BBs, indicates that someone dear to us is deemed by The Powers That Be to need one.

How can any of us decide whether someone elses degree of pain is greater than ours, or our loved ones? It's impossible. It is cruel and unkind to make nasty and uncalled for remarks, and gives the impression that there are some posters who think that there is no such colour called grey, only black and white.

Anyone with a BB gets rightly frustrated when they see someone without one, parking in a disabled bay, and that is the only black and white situation. But the dictatorial attitude adopted by some posters as to whether a disabled person who might get out the car/get out and return before the driver, should be in a disabled space is beyond belief.

What makes it all the more shocking is that these people are themselves disabled, but seem to think that compassion and sympathy should only be directed towards themselves.

Do they also extend this attitude to all matters in life, for example, they have never ever used a staple at work for their own private papers, or made a call on their employers' phone?

More to the point nobody who has a BB should have to justify their actions to anybody else, especially other BB holders, and it saddens me that they are being insulted in the most dreadful way.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport