Blue Badge 'police'

Options

Comments

• stefos
    stefos Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    responsible blue badge holders shouldnt sit in the car while able bodied people get out and do their shopping blocking a bay that others need when they dont need the wide bay because they are not getting out of the car, simples.

I have been following this thread with interest.My wife must make a considerable effort to get me in and out of the car and wheelchair anyway, so for instance,if it's raining or I'm feeling more defeated than normal and stay in the car I certainly would not expect my OH to expend more extra energy than necessary walking to and from the other side of the car park as she needs all the energy she can muster assisting me.
    Therefore I feel not one shred of guilt 'using' my blue badge to help my wife. Perhaps others in the same boat as me are trying to help their driver in some small way.
    The sanctimonious amongst you should consider that not everything is black or white

All BB users are equal; but some are more equal than others
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stefos wrote: »
    I have been following this thread with interest.My wife must make a considerable effort to get me in and out of the car and wheelchair anyway, so for instance,if it's raining or I'm feeling more defeated than normal and stay in the car I certainly would not expect my OH to expend more extra energy than necessary walking to and from the other side of the car park as she needs all the energy she can muster assisting me.
    Therefore I feel not one shred of guilt 'using' my blue badge to help my wife. Perhaps others in the same boat as me are trying to help their driver in some small way.
    The sanctimonious amongst you should consider that not everything is black or white

What about other disabled people who need the space that you're occupying?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • craftygranny
    Options
    What happens if I get back to the car before the driver? Do I use the spare set of keys, let myself in and sit down - or do I have to stand outside in pain/dizziness/the snow/whatever or get in the driving seat and move the vehicle despite not being licensed or insured to do so?

I often have to do this and wondered the same . should my oh leave all the shopping in the middle of the store or on the belt at the checkout so that he can move the car to a normal bay as i've returned to sit in it as i can't stand any longer. get real.
    Cross Stitch Challenge Member Number 20

New challenge finish birth sampler by end of the month
    No matter how much life knocks you down, it's your ability to get back up, brush yourself off and face your next set of challenges that makes you stronger
  • FestivalsRUS
    Options
    I get it all the time - I'm 45, wear an old Stranglers T Shirt and Track Suit bottoms - Not because I'm a chav, but because it keeps my legs warm in the winter and it's better for my Arthur itis.

But it is ALWAYS old people that give me filthy looks. Never ever, ever been queried by a young person or someone my own age.
  • hippygran
    Options
    So I'll put it another way then.
    I drive the car to the disabled bay. My husband's disability means he cant drive.
    He struggles to get out the car immediatley.
    Finds out that his knee is locked, (AGAIN - it either locks or dis-locates many times a day).
    He is in considerable pain, and sometimes half in and half out the car.
    So, you people are SERIOUSLY suggesting that I then re-park the car, move to a SMALLER space, FURTHER away, and thereby effectively IMPRISON him in the car, and scupper all chance of him being able to get out and join me if he wishes?
    GOD YOU ARE ALL HEART!
    No way would I do anything that meant I removed his choice of getting out of the car, even if it was only for 2 minutes at the end of the shopping trip!
    As I have already stated (several times now), if the intention was for him to stay in the car from the outset, then we wouldnt park in a disabled bay, but if he wants to get out, then I feel the if, and when of this is his personal choice (only he can judge his pain level). And so, no, I dont regard this as abuse of the badge, as I feel that he should be encouraged fully to live his life as 'normally' as he can under the circustances.
    This is a matter of common sense for me.
    He wants to get out and about.
    He tries to get out and about.
    Sometimes he thinks he can, but then finds he cant.
    WHATS THE PROBLEM????
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Like hippygran, my elderly husband is disabled with an artificial knee and severe back problems, and it is a lottery knowing if he will be able to get out the car or not, once we arrive at our destination.

About twice a week, he comes with me to exciting places like the supermarket or attends a hospital/GP appointment, and I will often drive round half a dozen times until I find a disabled space.

Then I endeavour to help him out of the car. At home, we have one of those electrical armchairs that rise, but without that facility in the car, we manage as best we can.

Today we reached Sainsburys, and after several attempts, he managed it. He came in with me, pushed the trolley for a while, as that gives him support, but then got tired, and returned to the car. About 10 minutes later, he decided to try again, got out the car, walked round it a few times, and then sat back in.

He was so pleased that he'd managed to get out the car on his own, and have a short, but still independent, walk. If I'd moved the car to a standard space, he wouldn't have been able to open the door sufficiently to extract himself from his seat.

I would not dream of denying him such a small pleasure, which gave him a bigger boost to his day, than all the medicine in the world could do.

xx
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Options
    Im disabled although not physically ( unless you count being 32 weeks preg) . I have a high frequency bi aural deafness and because I wear my hair down occasionally , it means people can not see my hearing aids. I dont get a blue badge , however thats not my point here. I find it annoyign that I have to clarify with people I am deaf , as they presume I am ignoring them . One case was in Tescos and the Customer service bod shouted at me as I didnt hear her as i was next in the Queue. Not that fact i was trying to sort a toddler out who was tantrumming because he couldnt have his cheese spagetti, im not sure anyone could hear anything over him. One of my gripes and im sorry if I upset people saying this , is disabled people parking in parent and child spots. I have problems getting in and out of the car at the moment and need to open the door to swing my legs out and haul the lump of me out. Yet I wouldnt park in a disabled spot as Im not disabled. Being pregnant and having a toiddler to contend with is bad enough. Yet seeing some woman get out of a car , help her passenger into her chair and walse off chatting , really made me irritated. There were plenty of disabled spots , but the Parent and child spots were all full . Sorry if I upset , there was probably a reason she needed to park there , but the gripe goes both ways. Able bodied people should park in a normal spot. People with kids that are over a certain age should park in a normal spot. and visa versa. I know its not the requirement and we cant control it , but it would make everyones life a whole lot easier .,
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dizzybuff wrote: »
    One of my gripes and im sorry if I upset people saying this , is disabled people parking in parent and child spots. I have problems getting in and out of the car at the moment and need to open the door to swing my legs out and haul the lump of me out.
    But you are able bodied. Pregnancy is neither an illness nor a disability.

Double standards! Women fought for years to get pregnancy classed as natural and not an illness or disability but now you are using it to park in a P&T slot.
    dizzybuff wrote: »
    Being pregnant and having a toiddler to contend with is bad enough.

So the toddler is actually a secondary reason for parking in a P&T slot?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stefos wrote: »

You are ignorant and I hope you get fined for this abuse, you wife is not disabled and her using your badge is blue badge abuse, you mustnt struggle like me and other wheelchair users or you wouldnt allow this.

It is black and white in this case, you admit to abusing your badge and if I knew you I would report you without a second thought, people like you should have your badges removed for ever.

My husband has to get my powerchair out and hes very ill but I wouldnt allow him or anyone else to abuse my badge "to help the driver out in some way" and stop a disabled person who really needs the bay.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lucylucky wrote: »
    How long do you give the person to get out of the car then before you decide it is abuse?

They dont get out of the car, thats clearly taking a bay up without needing it to get out of the car thus abusing disabled bays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure