Blue Badge 'police'

Options

Comments

• formaldehyde_perfume
    Options
    I was on my mobility scooter the other day, I had slowed down considerably as I wanted to go on the path rather than the general walkway between the lines of shops, the pathway only has a suitable level for my scooter outside the door of waitrose, I mounted the pavement but people were coming out of the shop and they were fairly frail and quite old so I let them go, unfortunately they weren't aware of me so stopped quite soon after the entrance and I blocked part of the entrance, as it turns out they were waiting for a slower friend who was behind me. As all this was going on I saw a woman walking briskly from the general direction of the blue badge area (I have no idea if she had a badge or not) using a stick, she was walking so fast it felt like she was going at the speed of my scooter which is just over 3 miles per hour! Anyway, as this blockage was happening the woman brushed passed me in to the shop and said quite loudly 'stupid cow' and I was mortified, I thought how rude! I looked at her in shock, it was obvious that she was in a bad mood but she carried on walking so I expressed my outrage with something which I thought was quite restrained but she pretended to ignore me. I still had a face like i'd just been slapped when one of the women who had stopped turned around and glanced at me, she saw my face and I felt I had to explain myself, her and her friends were also outraged. I guess the lady was just having a bad day, but there was no need for that. There was still plenty of room for people to go in and out, these supermarkets have huge doorways and frankly I'd rather be screamed at by someone than risk running over someone with my scooter, who knows how long a broken bone would take to heal in one of those ladies and how much pain it would cause. Anyway, rant over. Sorry.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    responsible blue badge holders shouldnt sit in the car while able bodied people get out and do their shopping blocking a bay that others need when they dont need the wide bay because they are not getting out of the car, simples.
    Totally agree. I'd have thought that should be obvious.
    not to some posters on this thread it isnt, they think its totally acceptable.
    but as we've been through all the reasons why someone may need to be sitting in a car in a BB space, I'm not sure how much further we're going to get with this point ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    but as we've been through all the reasons why someone may need to be sitting in a car in a BB space, I'm not sure how much further we're going to get with this point ...

People can dress it up how they want but when the BB holder stays in the car they are abusing the bays, I cant get out of the car unless Im in a wide bay and Ive had to go home missing vital appointments because of these ignorant people who have the choice to park in a normal bay and thankfully civil enforcment officers now give tickets to these selfish people around here, on street its an offence for the disabled person to sit in the car allowing able bodied people to abuse their badges.

Anyone who abuses the badges should have them removed perminantly along with a fine or points if they have a licence and then maybe the would have some consideration for other disabled people instead of an inflated sense of entitlement that no matter wether they are leaving the car or not its their right to park in a BB bay.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    People can dress it up how they want but when the BB holder stays in the car they are abusing the bays,
    I'll try once more ...
    hippygran wrote: »
    We dont intentionally park in a disabled spot when my husband is not getting out of the car!
    He often finds that when he tries to get out of the car on arrival, he cant! Or at least not without considerable pain.
    Sometimes we park up, and he can get out. More often, we park up, he cant get out uimmediately, but joins me later, and sometimes he cant get out at all!
    He doesnt really know till he tries!
    and then I'll let it rest.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sunnyone
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'll try once more ...

and then I'll let it rest.

If he cant get out of the car the car should be moved to a normal bay, its not rocket science.

Everybody makes excuses for why they abuse disabled bays and its sickening that some disabled people like this man are allowing their badges to be abused by family members, it dosnt matter how you dress it up its just the same as any other abled bodied person parking in a disabled bay.

I would never, ever allow my badge to be abused, by anyone.
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options

Nor me and I applaud your stance.:T
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    If he cant get out of the car the car should be moved to a normal bay, its not rocket science.

Everybody makes excuses for why they abuse disabled bays and its sickening that some disabled people like this man are allowing their badges to be abused by family members, it dosnt matter how you dress it up its just the same as any other abled bodied person parking in a disabled bay.

why should they move the car? he may need a few minutes to get himself ready to get out of the car, should they wait in a normal bay and then move to a disabled one so he can try to get out?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• sunnyone
    Options
    why should they move the car? he may need a few minutes to get himself ready to get out of the car, should they wait in a normal bay and then move to a disabled one so he can try to get out?

Because its disabled bay abuse, as the poster said " if this is abuse of his blue badge, so be it."

The people who agree with this or any other type of abuse cant need wide bays or they wouldnt abuse disabled bays or defend the abusers, I can account for my badge 24/7/365 and I can swear that it has never been abused and if every badge holder was the same life as a disabled person would be much easier.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Because its disabled bay abuse, as the poster said " if this is abuse of his blue badge, so be it."

The people who agree with this or any other type of abuse cant need wide bays or they wouldnt abuse disabled bays or defend the abusers, I can account for my badge 24/7/365 and I can swear that it has never been abused and if every badge holder was the same life as a disabled person would be much easier.

How long do you give the person to get out of the car then before you decide it is abuse?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    What happens if I get back to the car before the driver? Do I use the spare set of keys, let myself in and sit down - or do I have to stand outside in pain/dizziness/the snow/whatever or get in the driving seat and move the vehicle despite not being licensed or insured to do so?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family