new dla medicals

Options

Comments

• easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    many many years ago, when I first applied for mobility allowance (which is what DLA mobility component used to be called), I seem to remember I had to fill in a short application form, which stated that my GP would be contacted. I then also had to attend a medical conducted by a GP (not my own), at his surgery.

So I filled in a form which gave basic details of my disability, my GP was asked for his opinion, and an independant GP was also asked to make a medical assessment.

This seemed a perfectly adequate and fair system to me, and should be the way things should go.

To be fair, lots of people have assumed that the proposed process will be a single half-hour meeting using ATOS which decides your fate, but the government have not stated this will be the case. The reason they are introducing medical re-assessments in 3 years time is that they will be looking at how to do it.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    But people would still do that if they filled the form in themselves.

But not so efficiently!
  • TheBottomLine_2
    Options
    I hav problems walking up and down stairs due to sight loss. I got told that I don't and that "because I can walk, I should be fine walking up and down stairs".

I'm registered blind and get up and down stairs and escalators just fine. I had long cane training from the Sensory Impairment Team, there was a bit of a waiting list but it was well worth it. I was taught to use my cane to get up and down stairs and use escalators, it's easy when you know how and someone will show you.
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm registered blind and get up and down stairs and escalators just fine. I had long cane training from the Sensory Impairment Team, there was a bit of a waiting list but it was well worth it. I was taught to use my cane to get up and down stairs and use escalators, it's easy when you know how and someone will show you.

What I have also causes depth perception and balance problems.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • maceuk
    maceuk Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    many many years ago, when I first applied for mobility allowance (which is what DLA mobility component used to be called), I seem to remember I had to fill in a short application form, which stated that my GP would be contacted. I then also had to attend a medical conducted by a GP (not my own), at his surgery.

So I filled in a form which gave basic details of my disability, my GP was asked for his opinion, and an independant GP was also asked to make a medical assessment.

This seemed a perfectly adequate and fair system to me, and should be the way things should go.

To be fair, lots of people have assumed that the proposed process will be a single half-hour meeting using ATOS which decides your fate, but the government have not stated this will be the case. The reason they are introducing medical re-assessments in 3 years time is that they will be looking at how to do it.

Years ago i used to be on full DLA both care and mobility, over the last 17 years, im still ill, but my mobility is better, so i no longer need it, and i have the very low care, since developing carpal tunnel and numerous failed operations, one causing more problems than before the operation. when i claimed i had a doctor come to my home to examine me. Know you seem to be able to get disability if you got a headache.
  • TheBottomLine_2
    Options
    What I have also causes depth perception and balance problems.

Me too, and lots of others. There are different methods for different conditions. Would you at least be prepared to give it a try?
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Me too, and lots of others. There are different methods for different conditions. Would you at least be prepared to give it a try?

Holding on to something and holding on to the banniester makes it harder. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about; having tried it before.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • Breast_Cancer_Survivor
    Options
    maceuk wrote: »
    Years ago i used to be on full DLA both care and mobility, over the last 17 years, im still ill, but my mobility is better, so i no longer need it, and i have the very low care, since developing carpal tunnel and numerous failed operations, one causing more problems than before the operation. when i claimed i had a doctor come to my home to examine me. Know you seem to be able to get disability if you got a headache.

You can't get DLA unless you have care/mobility needs not based on a diagnosis.

I seriously doubt anyone would get DLA for having headaches unless they were migraines that seriously impacted on someones ability to function.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't get DLA unless you have care/mobility needs not based on a diagnosis.

I seriously doubt anyone would get DLA for having headaches unless they were migraines that seriously impacted on someones ability to function.

But tbh I think that's part of our current problem. DLA is awarded because of the things an individual says they can't do for themselves.

I believe my original independent medical all those years ago was in order to judge whether my "inability to do things" was consistent with expectation given my medical diagnoses (difficult in my case, as I have congenital problems which have never been diagnosed).

I certainly believe that all new applications for DLA should include a fresh medical assessment alongside opinions from professionals treating the patient.

And given the parlous state of britains public finances, to me it makes sense that those currently in receipt of such benefits should be re-assessed, to ensure that the right people are receiving the right benefits.

It holds no fear for me.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    I believe my original independent medical all those years ago was in order to judge whether my "inability to do things" was consistent with expectation given my medical diagnoses (difficult in my case, as I have congenital problems which have never been diagnosed).

As a result of a condition I have, I've developed an unheard of side effect, which isn't mentioned in any texts publshed by goups such as RNIB, Moorfields Eye Hospital & Nystagmus Network. (UK & America) So what would happen in my situation then? I'm certainly not lying about being in pain 24/7.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family