Clothes - Treat or Necessity?

Comments

• Barcode
    Barcode Posts: 4,551 Forumite
    A treat. Fortunately, being a student, the more tattered one looks, the 'trendier' you are perceived to be. I initially turned my nose up at ebay, but I've bought decent jeans, trousers and tops from there that I could not otherwise afford (i.e. £10 for a jumper that costs £60 in Monsoon).

This year, I'm going to ask my partner to buy me clothes for christmas. Yes, it would be nice to have more DVD's or books or ... but better to be warm and toasty for the winter.
    'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. '
    -- T. S. Eliot
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Charity shops have some absolute bargains - even designer stuff but you have to be prepared to do alot of trying on - having all the different clothes shops under the suns garments one size 12 does not fit all.
    However I like charity shopping for the price, choice and to use as Ebay selling fodder.

And in true MSE style - see if you can find another use for your safetypinesque trousers once you have bought a new pair. :)

Happy Shopping xx
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Bambywamby wrote:
    Charity shops have some absolute bargains - even designer stuff but you have to be prepared to do alot of trying on - having all the different clothes shops under the suns garments one size 12 does not fit all
    Totally agree!! Got a black Dorothy Perkins skirt at lunchtime from the charity shop, looks hardly worn, for £2!! :D And agree with the trying on!! Make sure you do this is you can't take it back!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • So, I took your advice and went to Primark last night and I fell in love! I bought:

3 pairs work trousers (all a perfect fit)
    5 tops for work
    1 underwear set
    2 'Gel' bras (some of us need a little 'help' in that area!)

Price £58!! What a bargain! So am sitting at work this morning feeling all smart and smug :)
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • So, I took your advice and went to Primark last night and I fell in love! I bought:

5 tops for work
    1 underwear set

Price £58!! What a bargain! So am sitting at work this morning feeling all smart and smug :)
    :beer: :beer: How good is that chick!!! :D
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Hi, definately necessity. I don't know if you have one in your area but i would recommend TK Maxx, i picked up a pair of Trousers for work from there at the weekend for £20.00 RRP £85.00 so they are very good quality, they also had suits in there, £40.00 RRP £160.00. I also get all my gym clothes from there. I also go to Primark alot - they usually have shirts for £4.00 - £8.00.

5 tops for work
    1 underwear set

Their gel bras are brilliant! I only wear these now - forgotten what it's like to wear a normal one! lol
  • Barcode wrote:
    A treat. Fortunately, being a student, the more tattered one looks, the 'trendier' you are perceived to be.

So true!!

I'm dead chuffed that finally my little home town has been deemed worthy enough of a primark! Cheap knickers for all. (well maybe not the blokes) :rolleyes:

I agree with the necessity argument.
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • well done! I am absolutley in love with primark! you can go in there and spend £30 and come out with a bag full of clothes!!

OOoh all this talk of cheap shopping is making me want to go there now!!!!
  • I got a pair of shoes re-heeled the other day, normally I would just go out and get a new pair! So feel proud of myself

I think I am going to try and convert to Primark too!!
    Debt at Highest £3989.04 on 01/09/06:eek:
    Debt Free 15/04/07 :j

:cool: £2 Savings Cub - £96 (£50 banked)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure