Clothes - Treat or Necessity?

14567810»

Comments

• ZTD wrote:
    I know this might be a sensitive issue, and certainly would have to be sold carefully to your daughter, but have you thought of buying men's stuff and just having it "fitted" by a seamstress?

Alternatively, as men's clothing tends to come in very drab colours, what about learning to sew and making stuff from scratch? I have freakishly short legs and scarily long arms. Making my own shirts and the like saves me a fortune :)

Kat
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Yes, I've come across this kind of attitude. It's as if making comments about an overweight person's size is considered rude (and rightly so), but it's somehow acceptable to make personal remarks to slim people about their appearance. Bit of a double standard there! :mad: (Sorry going OT here.... :o )

I'm glad i'm not the only one who gets wholly p*ssed off by this.
    Even family and friends seem to think it's ok to make horrible remarks! Grrrrr :mad:
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I'm sure I saw an article a few months back rating various high street stores on their ethical standards - I can't seem to find it online though. I do remember that not too many shops came out well at all.

There might be something on the green and ethical board but I'm having trouble searching it. Perhaps worth asking the question?
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • My 15 year old daughter has to be prodded to buy clothes - I have recently introduced a monthly clothing allowance linked to a debit card for her but still has to be practically frogmarched to the shops and then she insists on only buying what she came out for!!!

Could be because she is 5ft 10 size 16 to 18 and size 9 wide feet. Clothes shopping has never been pleasurable as it was always what would fit her rather than what she wanted. So I suppose it is years of conditioning for both of us. Primark solved the problems for a while but she has grown again and now only the underwear and nighties fit. Luckily Asda are doing longer trousers at a reasonable price and Dorothy Perkins have a limited range. It is still a bit of a problem though. She can't wear tights as they don't make them both tall and larger sized (they assume everyone tall is a size 10) so skirts are out.

It could be worse - her year at school doesn't wear uniform - so I don't have to go through the palaver of having it ordered specially and paying through the nose any more. Although £50 a shot for shoes is normal.

I too am a curvy girl - she should be proud - it is hard I am 5 foor 9 and find it hard too - new look do great long legged curvy girl stuff - greta pair of trouser for £18 at the weekend. If she wants any tips or hints for shopping just pm me
    xxx
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... £[STRIKE]57938[/STRIKE] £51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One £224, Paragon £758, GE Capital £63 and £135
  • Yes, I've come across this kind of attitude. It's as if making comments about an overweight person's size is considered rude (and rightly so), but it's somehow acceptable to make personal remarks to slim people about their appearance. Bit of a double standard there! :mad: (Sorry going OT here.... :o )

I'm so glad I am not the only one!! I hate it! You wouldn't say to a fat person that was eating a bacon sarnie 'no wonder you're so fat you need to stop eating' so why is it ok when I feel like eating some fruit for someone to say' no wonder you're so skinny if you eat like that, you need a good meal inside you' it infuriates me! It's so difficult for us to eat healthily but to still maintain as much body fat as possible! I want to look after my body, not eat rubbish and end up having a bad heart because of it but it's hard to eat a balanced diet whilst still getting enough calories so I don't loose anymore weight!
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • ZTD wrote:
    I know this might be a sensitive issue, and certainly would have to be sold carefully to your daughter, but have you thought of buying men's stuff and just having it "fitted" by a seamstress?

Yes have thought of that as I had a similar problem when I was young but she is more woman shaped than I was (ie hippy!) but made to measure suits are both like hens teeth and prohibitive in price nowadays and we'd have to buy at least a 42-44 waist to get enough material to fit properly. We'd end up remaking the trousers with all the attendant hassle with pockets, zips and linings.

And yes in the past at intervals as she grew out of each age range ie kids clothes at ages 4 and at 8 (when she was a ladies size 8) I have made her clothes. But with the best will in the world trousers are a pain to make and fit properly and skirts and dresses are out of the question if you can't get tights to fit. (And I am not advocating stockings for a fifteen year old even if they did come above her knees!) Also the size she is takes a lot of material. However I know it will come to that so am looking out for suitable patterns and will grit my teeth and pay the enormous prices that they are nowadays. I am not looking forward to it as it is very time consuming if you don't particularly enjoy dressmaking.
  • ti1980 wrote:
    Schoolfundraiser-where does your daughter usually end up getting her shoes from? I have the same problem with wide feet and I don't enjoy shopping at all, it is a definite chore rather than a treat like it is for most people.
    I once bought a pair of shoes from Primark as they miraculously fit me but they fell apart after about a month as I used them for work. Only bought socks from there since.

Look for a branch of Brantano who do ladies shoes in reasonably trendy styles for up to size 10 and widish fittings. Unfortunately my local branch has closed down so we have to travel a way now but we have no choice. Some of the high street shops do size 9 to special order - try Shellys but they tend to be unsuitable for school use.

Clarks wide feet range varies depending on season. But also try out the cheap chain Bacons - their "lifeboat" backless clog shoe which they have sold two years running now is sooooo comfy. Basically you have to shop around every season to see what the styles are. The square toe look of a few seasons ago was great for the wider foot. My daughter and I both also have a high instep just to make things more difficult.
  • I too am a curvy girl - she should be proud - it is hard I am 5 foor 9 and find it hard too - new look do great long legged curvy girl stuff - greta pair of trouser for £18 at the weekend. If she wants any tips or hints for shopping just pm me
    xxx

Our local New Look does do larger sizes ie 16 but they are a little on the skimpy side and work out at a large 14. It doen't help that we live in an area where most people are small-boned and the most popular size is an 8 or a 10. Will have to go North to shop I think.
  • Our local New Look does do larger sizes ie 16 but they are a little on the skimpy side and work out at a large 14. It doen't help that we live in an area where most people are small-boned and the most popular size is an 8 or a 10. Will have to go North to shop I think.

They do a range called inspire - call a few local new looks and they will tell you if they stiock it - on the tights front go to evans - long and large - they do all the trendy ones plus the old favourite opaque tights!!!

Other places to try for clothes -
    MK One
    Dorothy Perkins
    Long Tall Sally
    M&S
    Evans
    Etam
    New Look
    Wallis
    Debenhams
    Matalan
    Catalogues are great - especially Simply Be - trendy and larger.
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... £[STRIKE]57938[/STRIKE] £51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One £224, Paragon £758, GE Capital £63 and £135
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got a good book called Ethical Shopping from the library sorry don't remember who by. The whole thing is a minefield!!!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business