Clothes - Treat or Necessity?

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    If I could have 34" legs I would happily accept the challenge of finding trousers or skirts to fit :rolleyes: ;):D

OP: I'm not having a dig - I am just very bitter as I have (just about) 30" legs which I hate!

We should all be grateful for what we do have. Those with long legs want short, those with short want long. People with straight hair want curly, those with curly want straight.

My legs reach all the way to the ground.

And that's good enough for me. :D
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Yes ZTD you are right.

But sometimes it is depressing when you go out and see leggy lovelies who look fabulous in clothes.....and all you can do is worry about the way your a*se almosts drags on the ground......
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • PaleScene
    PaleScene Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    I've got a line in the budget for essential clothing and it covers new undies for me and the OH, plus I allow a few new bits of clothing every so often. Because he's not into clothes and regards them as necessary not indulgent I gauge the odd thing for me against whatever he gets (ie, if he has a pair of trousers and a couple of shirts/t-shirts, I allow the same for me) and do any extra buying for myself strictly out of any funds of my own.

The OP said about liking Top Shop/River Island/Dotty Ps/John Lewis I think, it's worth considering that brand name shops like this often come up in the voucher schemes on internet surveys like Pigsback and Lightspeed. So you could earn yourself a nice piece of clothing with a bit of clicking.

And thanks to all the positive press on here I'm looking forward to our forthcoming Primark... :)
    Do I Need One Stops All Unnecessary Reckless Spending
    £2 CSC - £30 :kisses3:
  • He he - I know what you mean ZTD! But for trousers - I'm an 6/8/10 depending on the store and then I need 30" length... so hard to get things, usually I have to spend more to adjust the length, although stores are a little better now re length.

Because of this post I just did a quick add up using the spreadsheet below and worked out that this year I have spent £518 to date on clothes alone - this is quite scary seeing as the only thing I 'remember' reeeeeally needing was a suit for a new job, a new top, and a few t-shirts!

It'd be interesting to see what you guys have spent to date - maybe put it on here for everyone to get an idea of what an average would be?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Yes ZTD you are right.

But sometimes it is depressing when you go out and see leggy lovelies who look fabulous in clothes.....and all you can do is worry about the way your a*se almosts drags on the ground......

Do you think I've got long legs? No.

Do you think that 4 inches of altitude makes any difference?

If you do, there is NO WAY I'm ever flying with you!

You can't do anything about the length of your legs, but you can still love your @rse LookingAhead and let other people know you love it. It is the 4 inches of *attitude* that make the difference.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • I'd have to really cast my mind back to add it all up.

But my clothes buying pattern has changed due to a combination of this site & Triny and Susannah books.

I now only buy what I know suits me (which reduces the scope somewhat lol!) and also I buy better quality so that it lasts. I'm not talking Jaeger or anything like that though, I mean M & S, Esprit or other stuff you can get quite reasonably in John Lewis.

This may mean paying a bit more but I have soooooo been there where I have filled my wardrobe with cheap stuff only for it to shrink or fall apart after a few washes. Plus the cut of the clothes is far more flattering and I get more wear out of each item as I feel happier in them.

I sold all the stuff I could on EBAY which didn't suit me but was in good nick. I don't think I own anything now that is stuffed to the back of the wardrobe because I feel uncomfortable in it, due to it being the wrong cut or style for my shape.

I still wish I had slightly longer legs though..... :rolleyes: ;)
  • Thanks ZTD for the advice. I know you are right.

Funny this thread should come up actually as I have recently been wondering how I can learn to accept myself more than I do now. I am very hard on myself it has to be said.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i splash out for new stuff every few months, both as a need and a treat

not long spent 130 quid on clothes, but that got me a coat, 3 shirts, 2 tops a dress and a pair of trousers
    all for work
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Because of this post I just did a quick add up using the spreadsheet below and worked out that this year I have spent £518 to date on clothes alone - this is quite scary seeing as the only thing I 'remember' reeeeeally needing was a suit for a new job, a new top, and a few t-shirts!
    It'd be interesting to see what you guys have spent to date - maybe put it on here for everyone to get an idea of what an average would be?

I've spent about the same but that also includes teenage daughter. I thought it was a lot but asked other people and most didn't.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • Jaymz
    Jaymz Posts: 801 Forumite
    I am 21 and up until about a year ago I used to buy nothing but designer brands but have realised that the non-designer brands are usually the better quality.
    I tend to buy a few items every couple of months and don't try to spend anymore than £100 a shopping trip.
    My wardrobe and drawers are stuffed full of clothes and I could go until the end of the year without buying any new ones but its nice to treat yourself from time to time :)
    Saving for a deposit: £20,551 / £25,000 - 82% of the way there...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure