PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap meals

Options

Comments

• chardonnay_2
    Options
    smoked sausage pasta.

need cooked smoked sausage, we use matthesons comes in plain, reduced fat or garlic. chop into small pieces.

we cook veg such as onions, mushrooms, peppers with various spices, add sausage and tomato pasta sauce. we buy cheap sauce and add spices etc, but many of you make your own. then mix with whatever pasta you have.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Can anyone pass on any cheap dessert recipes? My 7 year old son loves anything with custard, I do baked apple or banana quite often. Sometimes crumble but is there anything I can make quickly that he would love?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Sliced banana with honey & yoghurt

Mini fruit salad
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    tiff - chocolate custard, just stir in some cocoa powder.

Supper onion pie (one of nigellas)
    Fry some red onions (quartered) slowly until softened (about half hour)
    Put in dish, top with cheese scone dough and cook in oven until the dough is cooked.

Yummy!
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • SammyPops
    Options
    After you have taken all the nice slices off a chicken, pick all the bits off the bones.

Add them to a wok with bits of veg - anything you can find will do! Onion, peppers, mushrooms, finely chopped root veg, shredded cabbage........ Stir fry till veg is tender.

Tip over a tin of Campbells condensed soup in a creamy variety, and stir through. You may need to add a little water thin it's too thick. Simmer for a couple of minutes.

Serve with pasta or rice.

It's cheap to make, good for using up odd bits of leftover veg and is quick to cook. The creamy soup make it taste very rich, so you don't feel like you are budgeting!
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Cheap meal: pasta with a tin of tomatoes, teaspoon of sugar - brings out the flavour - and lashings of wostershire sauce and chopped bacon. Yum

Or scrambled egg and bacon

Cheap pud: tinned friut and ice cream
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a cheap veggie meal that i think I may have posted before.

CHEESY RICE

12oz LG Rice
    1 Onion
    1 Bell Pepper
    1 Tin Chopped Toms
    1 3/4 pts Veg Stock
    Cheese (cubed)
    Oil

Fry off onion in oil until soft, add pepper for the last min or so. Remove from heat and stir in rice until coated in oil and translucent. Blend in chopped toms and stock and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 10 mins.

Transfer to oven proof dish and chuck cubed cheese in. Sink some to the bottom of the dish and leave some on top to go crusty (they're the best bits). Finish off in the oven for about 1/2 hr at 220 c.

If you're not veggie you can use chicken stock and add crispy grilled bacon.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tiff wrote:
    Can anyone pass on any cheap dessert recipes? My 7 year old son loves anything with custard, I do baked apple or banana quite often. Sometimes crumble but is there anything I can make quickly that he would love?

I do an easy, quick crumble - stew your apples or whatever on your stovetop, and whizz up some bread in the food processor - add some sugar (brown is best) and mix. Put the fruit in a grill-proof dish when still hot, and cover with the breadcrumbs, grill at a high heat fo a very short time till the sugar has elted a bit - keep your eye on it.

My mum's trifle was never made with jelly - so get some sponge fingers/stale cake etc, layer on the bottom of a bowl, pour on enough fruit juice to soften, layer with whatever fruit you have and top with custard and some cream if desired. FAR nicer than a trifle with jelly and much less hassle to make.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Minced beef:
    • Cottage Pie
    • Meatloaf
    • Meatballs
    • Calzones
    • Hotpot
    • Lasagna
    • Home made Beefburgers
    • Beef Cobbler
    Sausages:
    • Pig in a Blanket (use an apple corer to take out the centre of a baking potato - slip in the sausage, rub butter over the outside of potato skin and bake as usual for a jacket potato)
    • Sausage Hotpot
    • Sausage Risotto
    • Sausagemeat and carrot Bake Loaf
    • Sausagemeat Burgers
    • Sausages in Cider
    Corned Beef:
    • Corned beef hash
    • Corned beef fritters (dip in egg and crumbs, fry til crisp
    • Roast - keep whole, brush o/side with melted fat, coat in herbs and roast until piping hot
    • Corned beef casserole/hotpot
    • corned beef quiche
    • Corned beef burgers (mix mashed corned beef with mashed potato, make into rounds, grill through slowly)
    Tinned Tuna:
    • Tuna pasta salad (cooked pasta (I deliberately make extra to make this salad for the next day - best mixed when pasta hot - tuna, mayo and chopped cucumber, chilled)
    • HM tuna fishcakes
    • Tuna pasta bake - cooked pasta, tuna and a cheese sauce poured over the top, then baked until hot and browned
    • Tuna jacket potatoes
    • tuna tortilla wraps with salad
    Liver:
    • Liver and Bacon
    • Liver hotpot
    • Liver and orange
    • Liver stirfry
    • liver and bacon loaf
    • liver pate (chicken livers are better for this and very cheap)
    Home Made Soups:
    • To make your main meals stretch further, try and serve a soup beforehand to fill up tums!
    • HM soup with a toasted sandwich really *is* a meal!
    • HM soup made from leftovers
    Chicken: see other posts above - too many ideas to list. Once made a chicken crumble ;) Leftover chicken, white sauce then a savoury crumble on top :D

Scotch Eggs/Sausage roll - easy to make, filling and budget food when served with a jacket spud and baked beans!

HM Pies: the humble pie can be made from a host of left overs! Couple of spoons of savoury mince? Stick it inside pastry! Same with any meat, add a sauce or left over gravy, bulk out with a few veggies, quick pastry, VOILA!

Puddings:
    • rice pudding (cooked at same time as casseroles/hotpots/roasts)
    • tapioca
    • semolina
    • jelly and evap. milk
    • jelly and fruit
    • blancmange - if served on a shortbread base is divine!
    • bread and butter pudding
    • bread and jam pudding
    • sponge puddings, hm and cooked in a microwave can be ready in minutes!
    • natural yogurt, sprinkled with demerara sugar (left for a few mins to seep in) maybe if liked some fruit chopped in
    • jam tart and custard
    • treacle tart
    • lemon curd tart
    I have a bread machine so I make fruit breads to keep the sugary contents down, with a light spread of butter they go down a treat and are cheaper to make than cakes! Because it's bread, it's a great filler-upperer - if the bread goes a tad stale, it's a new twist on bread and butter pudding and custard!

Just a few ideas off the top of my head - have to go now as I need to make lunch!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • loafer_2
    loafer_2 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    From the old student days ... sweet & sour sassage + noodles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure