TESCO WILLOW FARM CHICKENS £2.50 each.

Options

Comments

• mimidaler
    mimidaler Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    im not any kind of brigade and im definitely not shoving my views down anyones throat, and yes i had consulted the tesco website. i was merely stating a fact, i googled it as i was wondering how the hell they could produce it that cheaply.

people on this forum are soooo snappy. as you can see by my post count im quite new so the likelihood of me having run down anyone else on this subject is very low indeed, dont you think?

i was just merely stating a fact, not that i have to explain myself to you (unless of course you believe that YOU are that important that i should)

there was no need for the bitter replies, i was merely stating a fact. :eek:
  • ged1980
    ged1980 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    folks have a look around your house..

can you say everything you own no one was abused to make it?

when i say abused i mean working 18 hours a day for little money ect?

i bet you cant so chickens ect are no diffrent its no good saying its not free range ect when you wear a pair of knickers made by a kid paid poor wages to make them

knickers was just an example look at everything in your house
    If you dont like me remember its mind over matter, I dont mind and you dont matter ;)
  • Westywoodpecker
    Westywoodpecker Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    Options
    I do agree ged, I buy stuff from Primark, but have to wonder how they are so cheap & it's obviously due to people being paid a very poor wage :(

That said, if I come across a cheap chicken I will buy it ;)
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • A_Phoenix_of_Tangerine
    Options
    ged1980 wrote: »
    folks have a look around your house..

can you say everything you own no one was abused to make it?

when i say abused i mean working 18 hours a day for little money ect?

i bet you cant so chickens ect are no diffrent its no good saying its not free range ect when you wear a pair of knickers made by a kid paid poor wages to make them

knickers was just an example look at everything in your house

So isn't that more of a reason to look at the origins of the rest of the stuff you're buying as well then, rather than giving up completely on trying to consider the ethical implications of buying one product over another?

To steal Tesco's catch phrase :Devery little helps; it's obviously your personal decision/circumstance whether you are consciously motivated to buy things for economical, or environmental/ethical reasons. However, the two needn't be mutually exclusive, and if people feel that they can help improve welfare standards even by just buying one product that's produced in a different way, than so be it. It's a positive step, and maybe from that, other things will also change (such as buying more ethically-sourced / fair trade knickers, etc etc, to work with your example).

Just for caring, people shouldn't be vilified. Equally though, people must do what they can to get buy on little money. The point of this site is money saving / finding good deals, but there are always going to be people who believe that things such as cheap battery-farmed chickens are NOT such a great deal, when you balance the monetary cost to you, with all the other more negative factors.

Live and let live :money:
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just fillled my freezer with 10 of these, thanks OP :)

To the jackbooted do-gooders, minnd your own damn business and do what you want, and let others do the same without pouring your self rightous judgement upon those with low incomes.

Ethics are a luxury some cannot afford, deal with it.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    At least they have principals :cool:

Principles are great but don't actually feed the family when you are short of cash and need to find a cheap meal.

However if people are that concerned I understand that Waitrose chickens get 6 weeks off a year, have a 20 hour working week and are given travel concessions

Then Waitrose chop their heads off and you get to eat them at an inflated price. But as you tuck into their cooked flesh you can console yourself that at least you maintained your high principles :D
  • tbw
    tbw Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    Options
    mimidaler wrote: »
    im not any kind of brigade and im definitely not shoving my views down anyones throat, and yes i had consulted the tesco website. i was merely stating a fact, i googled it as i was wondering how the hell they could produce it that cheaply.

people on this forum are soooo snappy. as you can see by my post count im quite new so the likelihood of me having run down anyone else on this subject is very low indeed, dont you think?

i was just merely stating a fact, not that i have to explain myself to you (unless of course you believe that YOU are that important that i should)

there was no need for the bitter replies, i was merely stating a fact. :eek:

As you have mentioned 'snappy' replies perhaps you should re-read my post and you will see that nowhere did my post refer to you (apart from quoting your comment re principles). So far as I am aware ,you haven't run anyone down or been unpleasant to the folks on here who do buy cheaper meat because they don't have the funds to buy free range. But a hard core of 'free rangers' DO get very heated the minute anyone mentions a cheap chicken deal - and they can get fairly rude about it. If people feel strongly about only buying free range then thats their business and their right - but they don't have to try to make others feel guilty if they buy a bargain.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    TREVORCOLMAN Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    My crisps never see the light of day they go straight from the factory to the supermarket, then into my mouth.
    :rotfl:
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love Willow Farm chicken. Our butcher counter rarely has them though.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Missconduct
    Missconduct Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with someone pointing out that willow farm chickens aren't free-range - that helped me decide not buy them without having to look them up myself, particularly as the name "willow farm" sounds as if they might be free-range (which I assume is the idea).

As for a principle, if you're willing to surrender it because it's not cheap, it's not a principle. We don't have much cash so we have meat less often and we used to eat a lot of meat, we're not the kind of people who can take it or leave it and don't really enjoy it anyway, it's not much of a sacrifice to have it less often compared to the suffering of an animal for its entire "life" just to save some money.

And I also don't see what's wrong with making an ethical choice where you can, just because everything in your home or everything you eat may not have been produced ethically - you do what you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure