The Great 'Home Exercise' Hunt

Comments

• Do the Gardening. It's a brilliant work out and you get a lovely garden for your efforts.
  • minerva_windsong
    minerva_windsong Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2010 at 6:13PM
    Use a chair to work your triceps - the idea is you hold on to the front of the seat and extend your legs out in front (so your arms are behind you and at right angles) and then use your arms to push yourself down and back up.

Also, calf raises - simply rise up onto your toes and then lower yourself back down. This can be done whenever you are standing around for five minutes (boiling the kettle, cooking dinner, brushing your teeth etc) and is really good if you wear high heels a lot.

I'd also recommend buying cheap fitness DVDs off the internet (you can get decent ones for around £5-10 on Amazon Marketplace and Play Trade) and then selling them on when you're done with them, as I've heard that you should change your exercise routine every two or three months due to your body 'learning' the routine and needing to keep challenging it to get results.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Stinley
    Stinley Posts: 13 Forumite
    You can pick up exercise videos really cheap from charity shops or car boot sales. Put it on and get moving in the comfort of your sitting room.
  • Stinley
    Stinley Posts: 13 Forumite
    Oh and I just hear that if you have your Wii linked to the internet you can see the web pages on your TV - Perfect for large screen viewing for those You Tube clips that JRRD mentioned
  • for general toning and strength training at home, i use a set of push up bars for press ups, they are great and take the strain off the wrists. dont bother getting the really expensive ones, mine only cost a fiver from sports shop.
  • yvonne3009
    yvonne3009 Posts: 10 Forumite
    If you google "no excuses workout". The top result returned should direct you to Jonathan Roche's site where you can find free workouts to try. I used this system for a while and enjoyed it and as a result I have now purchased the workout system.

It cost in the region of $30 dollars but with that you get an online system for you and a friend to log your excercise acheivements and weight etc and you also get workout cd's that you can rip to MP3 and dvd's for interval training on whatever fitness equipment you may already have such as cross trainers or running machines.

It doesn't really matter whether you have any of the equipment - the main idea is to do interval training by raising your heart rate by what ever means necessary for a few mins at a time. There's also a strength training section that needs no expensive equipment to do and its in 6 min sections so you can do as much or as little as you are able.

The free sessions however will still do the job so I'd recommend doing those to save parting with cash!!
  • An exercise plan developed for Canadian Air Force in the 50's/60's.
    Ideal at home because it only takes approx 10 minutes per day and you gradually build up your level (starts at a very, very easy level)
    Check out 5BX on wikipedia for the warnings on replacing the sit-ups at higher levels with a modern "crunch" (as if you'll get to the higher levels!!)
    Search on t'interweb for "5BX" and you'll see some free .pdf downloads.
    There are Male/Female versions.
  • This is something I thought of when I thought that putting away £30 a month (instead of going to the gym) would get me a nice home gym eventually (I didn't spend anywhere near to that in the end :) )

I cancelled my gym subscription and started running, I have an app on my phone which maps my speed, distance and does little maps showing where I have gotten to, this cost £5 but it has really worked to keep be going runing more regularly (as when I log in I feel guilty when there isn't much on there..) I would really recommend doing a charity run too this really made me much more dedicated as I would let charities and my sponsors down.

Running isn't free though - get your first pair of trainers from a store that caters for runners (once you know what type of shoe you need buy from somewhere cheaper) - it will save money (and more importantly pain) in the long run from not buying ibroprofen gel and painkillers when you are injured. This is something I learnt the 'hard' way and wish I had known this earlier.

Walk or cycle - I am always surprised at how much I start to put on weight when I swap cycling to work (only 2 miles away) for the bus, walking helps too.

I have a mini trampoline which is great I put on a movie and just bounce - doesn't even feel like exercise I am on the top floor in my house and have been told by my downstairs that it isn't noisy (check on review sites for 'quieter' models).

DVDs are good too, I have a ballet conditioning one that I use all the time (good for my weak knees and I have noticed I am becoming more toned) and a belly dancing one which was less sucessful (but I borrowed from a freind so extra money saving on that one!).

I am glad that I quit the gym as I tend to get outdoors more, run for charities and have saved a lot of money in only 6 months.
  • I spend a lot of time at home so here is a few tips that I have found work.

Try and spend some time sitting or ideally kneeling on a Swiss ball, this is great for balance and core body. You would be amazed at how good it is for toning the tummy muscles.

I keep a small squeeze ball that I got for free from North face and use that for hand and arm exercises, great for working on you hand strength and keeping the circulation going.

If you are sat down a lot put on some heavy footwear and just do leg raises, it is surprising how tiring this is, start a one rep of 15 and then build it up or increase the weight.

The usual, situp, press ups, tricep dips are all good and why not try tackling the stairs a but quicker to get the heart rate going.

There are some great U tube videos on stretching exercises out there all for free, and I have found a few courtesy of the NHS.

Hope this all helps
  • matw2
    matw2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I got given a Reebok Stepper and it had attached some rubber straps that you could exercise your arms with as you were climbing.

I found that you can stand on them and use them to do arm curls and arm extensions. If you want more resistance, just stand further along the strap so that you have to work harder.

I know not everyone will have these, but you could try using the elasticated luggage straps that go around suitcases. Alternatively you can use those same luggage straps tied around your legs and do lunges, which makes your legs work much harder. That's an exercise we were taught when I did fencing at uni to improve our foot work. A word of advice though, it really aches the next day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure