The Great 'Home Exercise' Hunt

Comments

• rosgrech
    rosgrech Posts: 23 Forumite
    ebay!! Just look in your local area for 'pick up only'. Just got sit up bar/ab machine for 99p and mini stepper for 99p and a unused (£100) rowing machine delivered for £15 - instant mini gym

Another FREE source of gym equipment is your local FreeCycle - it's amazing the number of people who have obviously got tired (or fit enough) with various things and offer them out. Free can't be bad eh?
  • Strengthen those core muscles - just stand on one leg whilst brushing your teeth (change legs from time to time). Keeping your balance really works muscles you didn't even know you had!
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Slight digression from "Home Exercise" to "Free Exercise" but most health clubs (especially the big chains) offer free trials - up to as long as a week. They're usually advertised on their websites. If you live in a good central location you can probably get a good few gym workouts/classes/swim sessions at different clubs without trying too hard.
    If you don't want them to pester you with phone calls afterwards, give a false phone number - although then you won't get any repeat offers either offering you another go.

O2 special treats include free Personal Training sessions - use those to help you devise a home fitness routine that you can do on your own.
  • This might sound silly to some but if every time you put the kettle on, try jogging on the spot until the kettle has boiled, you will be amazed the extra exercise you are getting in while doing this.:idea: also when doing your housework put some music on , you will get your work done slightly quicker and you can have a dance while your at it, all this exercise for free and you don't even have to leave the house;)
  • tomhill
    tomhill Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hello,

Not free but potentially money saving is Pump One's Fitness App for the iPhone. It basically like a pocket personal trainer that provides a huge list of potential exercises that you can use at home, the gym, outdoors etc for a variety of different levels of equipement (or none at all). The apps a little pricey, it costs £5.99 and, for the advanced version has a subscription of about £5 a month I think. However, if you sign up, have a look through all the exercises and download to pdf (yup you can) the ones that you want you can then ditch it. At £10 I've learnt more from it than I ever did with Personal Training sessions which cost in the region of £50 each!

Tom
  • charlieheard
    charlieheard Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I found this useful site several years ago. It seems to be by an American who designed a software suite several years ago, and has now retired to Switzerland on the proceeds. He does several interesting things in his "spare" time, one of which was to write a book called "The Hacker's Diet - How to lose weight and hair through stress and poor nutrition". Don't worry about the name - it's nothing to do with computers (except for the man who wrote it!)

There's an online version, or you can download a PDF. The whole thing's worth reading, but there's an interesting bit about exercise which includes a set of daily exercises which increase slowly over time till you reach your own level. There's also a whole load of extra stuff to help, like an area to save your own exercise and weight log.

As I said, well worth a look...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • mto
    mto Posts: 351 Forumite
    Another fan of Bodyrock.tv here. Zuzana is great, very inspiring and motivational, and I love the mix of exercises, tips, and other videos.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Beans are good for weights.....doing some arm curls and things is weird, but you could do it when putting the shopping away. Once you get stronger, bottles of water are just as good.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • mdn7
    mdn7 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 July 2010 at 8:11PM
    I would like to recomment bodyrock.tv. Zuzana is magnifcent on there. Also, I have recently been looking at myomytv.com which is a similar fitness website. I can recommend the book "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren.
  • I recently found an excellent website exercisetv. It has loads of free exercise routines that you can download onto real player. It is like having your own personal trainer.

Have a look and get exercising.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport