The Great 'Home Exercise' Hunt

123457»

Comments

• I'm currently a gym member paying £29 per month but I reckon my finances are in worse shape than my body so I might have to jack it in. I have looked online for weights, machines etc. to put in the garage (post-clearout!) but they are all too expensive.

I discovered a site, which is run by a bloke that does bodybuilding at home with minimum equipment. (If you Google "Scooby's home bodybuilding" you'll find it, sorry I can't post the link as I am a newbie.)

The second thing on his list of philosophies is "don't spend money". Sounds good to me!
  • adaw
    adaw Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    johnsons50 wrote: »
    I'm currently a gym member paying £29 per month but I reckon my finances are in worse shape than my body so I might have to jack it in. I have looked online for weights, machines etc. to put in the garage (post-clearout!) but they are all too expensive.

I discovered a site, which is run by a bloke that does bodybuilding at home with minimum equipment. (If you Google "Scooby's home bodybuilding" you'll find it, sorry I can't post the link as I am a newbie.)

The second thing on his list of philosophies is "don't spend money". Sounds good to me!

Always worth looking on ebay, especially for collection only as can sometimes get them very reasonable.
  • Gillsx
    Gillsx Posts: 56 Forumite
    I needed to lose weight and tone up for my wedding, so I bought the Davina Power of 3 workout DVD. I don't usually like DVD's but this had great reviews and I have to say it is the only DVD that I still consistently use 4 years later. It's not full of silly dance steps and I don't spend the time trying to keep up - the moves are simple, just a lot of squating, lunging, abdominal crunches and using free weights (use water bottles as the cheap alternative). You don't need to buy anything expensive and it really does work. I did this twice a week and then combined it with a 30 minute run once or twice a week for additional fat burning, but if you don't like running then you don't need an additional workout, or you could even walk or cycle. Seriously, this is better than any gym and friends have borrowed my DVD and agree it's by fat the best. Just like being in an hours fitness class. :j
  • Digdug_2
    Digdug_2 Posts: 70 Forumite
    If you have a Wii in your house there are some great cheap fitness games you can get without having to splash out £70-odd on the Wii Fit board. I like:
    • My Fitness Coach: Cardio Workout (£11.99 on Amazon) - fun cardio boxing, burns masses of calories.
    • My Fitness Coach: Get in Shape (£7.99) - workouts like on an exercise DVD but it's different every time.
    • EA Sports Active (£13.91) - more content than the two above and comes with additional equipment eg resistance band. Bargain price - I paid £35 when it first came out.
    • EA Sports Active: More Workouts (£6.64). If you've got the first game you MUST get this at such a cheap price - better graphics and more fun workouts. But bear in mind you can't buy only this one as you need the special equipment that comes with the first game.
    • The Biggest Loser (£9.99) - a good all-round fitness game.
    Apart from the dedicated fitness games a lot of the normal dance/sports games burn a lot of calories, e.g. Let's Dance, Samba Di Amigo, EA Tennis Grand Slam (which actually has a calorie counter) and the boxing game in Wii Sports that comes with all Wiis.

Have fun!:j
  • get some trainers... buy the book Run Away From Fat from amazon... really really cheap if you go second hand.. follow the instructions (starts off running for 5 minutes.. ends up running for 40 mins or 4 miles after 4 months)
    i started running using this book.. and this year i did the edinburgh marathon!
    so cheap, all you need is trainers. which you probably already have!
    x:j
  • keep fit can be done anywhere, a RAF PTI 20 years ago taught me some basic fitness for boxing skipping is excellent done on the right surface eg a gym wooden floor concrete is a bit hard. If not the argos sell rubber gym flooring for going under weight benches that can be used on a patio area.

A workout i used is as follows

10 sets of 3 min skipping with 30 sec rests

on the rest do calisthenetic exercises sit ups, press ups, burpees body weight squats etc.

remember to warm up and cool down and the body doesnt start burning fat until 20 mins of exercise is done so any exercise needs to be over that time limit.

an hour of skipping can burnt approx 750 calories on an average adult
  • Got a 4 hour shift at the local gym - gets me use of all centre facilities, means I can swim most days on the way to work and use the gym twice a week. Pay is £6.00 per hour, but membership of gym is £50.00 per month. Also meet friends twice a week - not for a coffee but a walk
  • Hi, Pixie Girl. I trampoline too. I bought mine from www.atlantictrampolines.co.uk with a five year guarantee and my daughter loves it too. I use the following routine which I found on the web and have built up from 5 minutes a day to nearer 20. Is anyone else using a trampoline out there?

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]WARM-UP BOUNCE – Stand in the centre of the trampoline with your feet slightly apart. This will be your basic starting stance for all exercises. Without lifting your feet off the trampoline lightly bounce. Use this as your warm-up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]JUMPING BOUNCE – Then lift your feet off the trampoline and increase the height of your bounce as your become more comfortable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]BASIC JOG – Alternately lift each foot an inch or two off the trampoline and move your arms as you would while jogging.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]BASIC WALK – This is a good cool-down exercise. Alternately lift your heels but not your toes off the trampoline. Swing your arms as you would while walking.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]HEEL-TOE BOUNCE - This is a more advanced exercise which involves bringing your left foot forward during the bounce and touching your heel to the surface. Briefly raise your left arm up in front of you as your heel touches the surface. Repeat this for the right foot. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]JUMPING JACK BOUNCE – This is another advanced exercise. As you bounce up, spread your feet apart and bring your hands over your head. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]WAIST TWISTS – Twist your body from side-to-side at the waist as you bounce, making sure your feet are close together as you leave the mat. Leave your hands on your hips or swing them for more of a workout.[/FONT]
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok these are the exercises I do at the moment. Some of them require weights. Frankly I got sick of using Horus and Bastet (ornaments on my mantlepiece) so I bought real weights - they're Nike, from Argos, and they can have weights from 1kg (the handles on their own) up to 3kg with all the weights on them. I got them from £30 down to £15 and they're worth their weight in gold (sorry!). The leaflet sold with them gives some ideas for building toning in your arms but I found my imagination far more use.

I also do exercises for other parts of my body. So for my posterior I sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me then 'walk' with my bottom. Forwards and backwards. I only have a small space to work in but I can manage 30 in each direction.

I also do belly and torso exercises. One of them is simply to tighten my belly and all surrounding areas, including my vulva. I hold for a count of 100 but whatever you're comfortable with would be fine. I combine this with a belly dance exercise, although they have to be done alternately, not at the same time. This happens under your bust and above your waist and it's called a taq. What you do is to let the flesh relax outwards, but then catch it before it goes too far. It feels like a drum skin that's being tightened. I do 10 of these taqs with my belly, then another ten to the left and right of the same area, then return to the centre and so on. I find my whole torso is tightened and I miss it when I forget or am too busy to do the exercises.

I can also highly recommend belly dancing. I haven't been able to afford it for far too long but it's great fun and usually with brilliant people.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Cross trainer hard for 20mins, housework to burn a real sweat 45mins, step with weights 20mins, walk school run 1 hour and muscle stretches at the bus stop. These are some of the active and exercise things I do at home and when out and about.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport