PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just bought a whole lamb...

Options
1234568»

Comments

• TryingHardToSave_2
    Options
    Sorry if there is already a post on this, im not sure how you search the forums yet? :o

Drove past a butchers about 20 miles away who had advertised in his window that half a lamb was £42.

Was wondering if this sounded like a good buy? If i brought it do i just get half a lamb or do they cut it into certain pieces?

Thanks x
    Want to be debt free by Jan 2014 after letting things sprial out of control :o

CREDIT CARDS £1250. CATALOGUES £6300. LOANS £230. OVERDRAFT £400.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Normally the butcher would prepare it into the different joints and chops/steaks ready for you to put in the freezer.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi TryingHardToSave,

The price will depend on the weight of the lamb. This thread has lots of advice that should help:

Just bought a whole lamb...

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    You will get a shoulder, a leg, some neck chops, some cutlets, some chops and a breast - the butcher may bone and prepare any of these for you. Whether this is good value depends on the weight of the lamb and whether you are happy to eat all of the cuts, some of which will be fatty (I love lamb and was brought up on roast breat of lamb, so fine for me!)
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • TryingHardToSave_2
    Options
    Mrs_Chip wrote: »
    You will get a shoulder, a leg, some neck chops, some cutlets, some chops and a breast - the butcher may bone and prepare any of these for you. Whether this is good value depends on the weight of the lamb and whether you are happy to eat all of the cuts, some of which will be fatty (I love lamb and was brought up on roast breat of lamb, so fine for me!)

Thank you very much. Hubby is a big lamb lover and im a slow cooker addict so the fatty joints will be lovely done in this. Think i will give it a go x
    Want to be debt free by Jan 2014 after letting things sprial out of control :o

CREDIT CARDS £1250. CATALOGUES £6300. LOANS £230. OVERDRAFT £400.
  • handymanni
    Options
    Been looking arounf for a whole/half a lamb online and prices do vary dont they?

Has anyone got any recommendations for any farm butcher that may be selling these in Berkshire (Maidenhead area ideally but will travel, lol.

If anyone knows of a well priced online place that would be great too.

Thanks guys
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but...
    Just been offered a whole lamb for £90, I think it will come cut up but does anyone know roughly how many meals I would get out of one?
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ragz wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but...
    Just been offered a whole lamb for £90, I think it will come cut up but does anyone know roughly how many meals I would get out of one?
    Depends on the weight ....
    they can be 15-23kg...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family