PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just bought a whole lamb...

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    doire wrote: »
    Poor lamb...............

Are you vegan?

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread on buying a whole lamb which will give you more ideas.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for merging this, I didn't have time this morning to search and should have known it would have been covered long ago!

This is not the forum to discuss the moral issue of eating meat. I'm lucky and proud to support local producers, and admire them greatly.
  • DianaMattos
    Options
    The title says it all really. I have been offered half a lamb for £70. Is this a good deal? Its local and probably a happy lamb, if not organic.

Many thanks.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    The title says it all really. I have been offered half a lamb for £70. Is this a good deal? Its local and probably a happy lamb, if not organic.

Many thanks.

It depends on the weight ;) Does that price include the butchery?

If you look at this thread (page 3 is from last year) you'll see that your price seems reasonable :)

BTW - AFAIK all lamb is "happy". Sheep don;t lend themselves to intensive farming, and can be raised on rough land that is no good for anything else.

I'll merge this later to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2010 at 7:15PM
    Options
    Hi

sounds reasonable for grass fed lamb but maybe on the high end if not an organic lamb....

we sell organic lamb for £70 a half in our Community Supported Agriculture project.
    that includes butchery into basic cuts...
    and we have delibertly placed ourselves at the bottom end of the price range for box schemes of organic lamb as we are a community project.

I agree all sheep are happy and are usually grass fed for most of the year but non organic lamb is treated with antibiotics and wormer more routinely than organic...

enjoy:T

art
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I am about ot buy one of these for the first time - what is a good price...online seems to be about £120 but local farm shop has said £2 a lb....

I was going to ask for the legs and shoulders in half sized joints and the neck and breast to be minced - any other tips/ advice from anyone who's done this before
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi rach,

The price will depend on the weight of the lamb. This recently updated thread has lots of advice that should help:

Just bought a whole lamb...

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last time I bought a lamb I asked for 1whole, 2half legs, 1 whole shoulder, and one boned and cubed in 400-500g bags.
    Had all the cutlets/chops in bags of 4, breast minced in 500g portions, neck chops for stews (but could have had these filleted) and the bones for stock.
    We also got the 2 kidneys which OH enjoyed. It was great getting it from a butcher as you could specify the cuts, and we liked the combinated of whole and half leg joints.
    If only I could clear enough space in the freezers for us to get one again! It took up 2 drawers of our 3 drawer undercounter freezer :D
  • sam8000
    sam8000 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    hi i have a butcher shop and im intersting in buying whole lamb meat in bulk twise a week if any body knows a farm or a market or a slugher house and can give me a good price per whole lamb please call me on 07980002444 and i can collect im looking at buying 20 lambs per week and if the price is good i buy more many thanks.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    sam8000 sorry I can't help you. Whereabouts is your shop?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure