PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just bought a whole lamb...

Options

Comments

• foreign_correspondent
    Options
    ok ta, Ive always known it as neck end of lamb, makes a delicious stew!
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi sb44,

I've added your tip the the current thread on buying lamb. For advice on buying half a pig this thread may help:

Half a pig questions...

Pink

Great, thanks for that, off to take a look at the piggie stuff now.

:)
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ravylesley wrote: »
    If you come from Lancashire they are called Scrag End of Neck and used for making Lancashire Hot Pot

SB44 paid £1.99/lb for the lamb and £1.30/lb for the Pork so I'd say the £2.62 is per kilo

Lesleyxx

Thanks Lesley.

What did you pay for half a pig? I haven't a clue how much that one is going to be.

Sharon
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am going to ring to order half of a lamb tomorrow, there are only two of us (well 3 really but our daughter doesn't like lamb).

Can someone tell me what is the best way for it to be cut?

I know I will be getting chops etc and can ask for the leg to be cut in half but what is the best way for the other bits to be cut into?
  • Inspired by this thread I was looking at on-line butchers, when I came across this line:

"Holidaying in Wales? Why not take a reluctant lamb home with you":rotfl:

When I finished giggling I looked again an realised it said "Succulent lamb"!:o

Winky x x x
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • toffee65
    Options
    chalmem wrote: »
    Hello all ! My daughters 1st birthday falls on 24th November, and I want to roast a whole lamb (spring lamb if available) for my large mixed Engliah / Iranian family. Can anyone suggest suppliers within 50 miles of Cambridge ? A company who would rent a spit roast machine would also be useful ! Thanks in advance.

There is a farm on the way out to St Neots from Cambridge....it's in Croxton.

I can't remember the name of the farm but if you google or even just drive out there you'll find it.

Croxton is small.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Our butcher can get half a sheep for £30. Just need a freezer big enough to keep everything in! :)

Mailman
  • charliee_3
    Options
    there is a farmer locally who is selling whole locally reared lambs (for the freezer, not the garden!) for £100

is this a good price and how much stuff do you actually get normally? obviously 2 whole legs 2 shoulders, ribs, fillet, neck.. does it normally come with bits like liver, kidney, heart, etc?

dont really know why i'm thinking about it as i only have a small freezer, but i do love lamb...
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    charliee wrote: »
    is this a good price and how much stuff do you actually get normally? obviously 2 whole legs 2 shoulders, ribs, fillet, neck.. does it normally come with bits like liver, kidney, heart, etc?

Seeing as the lamb comes with all those things, you should be able to ask for them :D That way you use all the animal, which is both thrifty and environmentally sound ;)

As to what you'll get by way of joints, take a look at the River Cottage Meat book (that's what we did when we raised a pig) and you can then talk with the butcher and have the carcase butchered to your requirements.

Take a look at this thread on buying a whole lamb; I'll merge this thread later.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I'd say that was a good price Charliee. My butcher sells whole locally reared lamb for £2.68 lb they weigh between 40 and 50lb (£107-£134) so unless yours are very small then they sound like a bargain.

Definitely ask for the offal if you want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure