We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pre-paid card thing from last night's programme

Options
Can anyone explain that pre-paid card thing to me that was on Martin's ITV programme last night? I didn't fully catch it.

Cheers.

Comments

• walio
    walio Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Which part did you not understand? You load money on to it and then use it. Martin was using FairFX card, where I have neteller net+ card, it doesn't cost anything to use it, where FairFX charges you small percent...
    Loading to Neteller card does not cost anything if you use bank transfer, takes a few hours to see money in your account.
  • Lois_and_CK
    Lois_and_CK Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you! So are 'fairfx' and 'neteller' a drop-down payment option on these flights websites along with visa debit etc? (That was the bit I missed.)
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2010 at 12:02PM
    Options
    You select Prepaid Mastercard in the Drop down on ryanair for to get the fee waived, you can use them everywhere else just as a normal mastercard.

ryanairz.jpg
  • LOST
    LOST Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PM me your email address and I can send a referral for the Net+ card and if you top up within 30days of the referral you will get 10% bonus on top of your first depsoit (max £5 bonus)
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    walio wrote: »
    Which part did you not understand? You load money on to it and then use it. Martin was using FairFX card, where I have neteller net+ card, it doesn't cost anything to use it, where FairFX charges you small percent...
    Loading to Neteller card does not cost anything if you use bank transfer, takes a few hours to see money in your account.

are you sure the fairfx charges to load it??
    i recently got one and cannot remember seeing anything about a charge if you topped up online,i really must get out the t+c's and have a read.
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you sure the fairfx charges to load it??
    i recently got one and cannot remember seeing anything about a charge if you topped up online,i really must get out the t+c's and have a read.

Charges 1.5% of whatever you purchase, no top up fee i think.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    leew wrote: »

Correct, money transfers are instant in my case from HSBC.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    leew wrote: »

Correct, card is free (with the right link) no other charges whatsoever except 1.5% when you spend. No top-up fee, no monthly charge etc etc,for normal use For the £ card.

I've got 3,
    One I keep a very small balance on for use on small internet purchased on unfamiliar or Welsh web-sites - only joking about the unfamiliar bit :)
    1 for using abroad for small withdrawals just a few quid to use in a transit airport for instance.
    And to to withdraw Euro's that I've bought at a good rate.
  • Lois_and_CK
    Lois_and_CK Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the clarification, especially the screengrab of the payment options. I get it now!

Cheers
  • roddycam
    roddycam Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    How to avoid booking fees. Most budget airlines charge up to £10 per person return if you pay by credit OR debit card. Yet get a prepaid Mastercard for Ryanair (FairFx* is cheapest) or Visa Electron for others (Post Office is cheapest), to pay on and it's free.

That's from this week's email.

Post Office is charging £3 commission for Visa Electron. ( As well as having one of the worst websites ever! So difficult to navigate.)

Is there a provider who doesn't charge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family