RJ Turley Jewellers in Birmingham do not use

Options
7 weeks ago we were recommended to this jewellers to make an eternity ring to fit next to my wedding ring. They kept the wedding ring to shape the eternity ring to. We were told it would be about 2-3 weeks to make.

After about 3 weeks I tried calling them as they hadn't called me, and for 3 days their phone was out of order. In the end I got the jewellers next door to take a message round, and Turley's phoned me back.

I stressed that I wanted the ring ready for the following Saturday as we wouldn't be able to collect it for 2 weeks after that. They said it would be ready and they would call me. No call received. Phone still out of order. So we went to Birmingham on the Saturday, only to be told the ring was still at the assay office and they had forgotten to call us. And they knew the phone was out of order. We had a bit of a rant about the inconvenience of a 100 mile round trip and asked them to get the phone fixed. I wanted to take my wedding ring with me at this point but the jeweller said he wanted to keep it to make sure the final fit to the eternity ring was perfect.

Nearly 2 weeks later, still no phone call about the ring, and would you believe the phone still doesn't work. Bearing in mind the eternity ring was supposedly at the assay office (convenient excuse?), which means it should have been nearly finished. How can anybody run a business where your phone is out of order for over a month?

I suspect they've lost my wedding ring and don't want to own up to it.

I wish I'd never heard of this blooming jeweller and have told the original jeweller (the people who made my engagement and wedding rings) who recommended us to them about this shocking service and them not being worthly of recommendation.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
Make £2024 in 2024
Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Comments

• El29_2
    Options
    I am now in the same situation, with the same Jeweller and i don't knwo what to do or where i stand legally. He isn't saying he has lost it - infact he isn't saying anything at all - just ignoring the phone and telling me different stories everytime i go in?? I will never use them again and urge no one else to. Did you ever get your ring back?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2010 at 4:52PM
    Options
    So sorry not to have replied earlier EI29, I hope you see this posting.

Yes I did manage to get my wedding ring back in the end, but I never got an eternity ring from RJ Turley. I think we visited Birmingham (from Buckinghamshire) 4 times in the end. We did see an eternity ring at one point, but they had made a real mess of it. The setter had taken too much gold out of the ring so the diamonds stuck out of the bottom into my finger.He then compounded the problem by filing the top of the ring as the stones were too low in the setting, so as a result of that, the ring wasn't circular. Also I ordered a ring with 9 stones, they put 5 in it. So at that point I got my wedding ring back, and they were going to remake the eternity ring with the correct number of stones in. The turnaround on this was supposed to be a week, but the day of collection was not good for us, so I wrote to him (no point in phoning) to tell him that we would come the following Saturday. He phoned on the Friday before that Saturday to say it wasn't quite finished, but it would be back on Wednesday. We couldn't go for another 3 weeks, so off we set again, only to be told yet again 'it's at the assay office' which is code for any old problem we haven't dealt with yet. At this point we told him to forget it, at some point when I can get a bit more enthusiastic, I'll try again with a local jeweller.

I've received some shocking customer service at different times from different businesses, but without doubt this is right up there at the top of the tree. (Goldsmith's in Reading is another shocker, but that's a different story).

I hope you have got your jewellery back.

I don't know how a business like RJ Turley in Birmingham survives in this climate. It's despite themselves, not because they are any good.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• localboy31
    Options
    Being fairly local to Birmingham I decided to get an engagement ring from there, and whilst I was there I had a couple of other things to get done.

One was to repair a snapped necklace; and the other was to see if a precious stone that had been given to my now fiancee, which was given to her by her folks, sourced from a mine in a country the other side of the word, set in to something so it can go on to the said necklace.

After visiting R Turley they said the repair and the stone setting would be no problem, and they would even post the items back to me once done at which point I could send them a cheque. After asking about timescales, I was told a couple of weeks. Everything sounded great.

Well, a couple of week passed, and guess what, nothing. Another week passed, still nothing.

So I decided to call them, got their number off the internet, called them, their phone doesn't work (Heard that before somewhere).

I then called the company that recommended them, Marlow & Sons, who were making my engagement ring, and they informed me that Turley are still in business and I should go and see them, but not to get there until after 10 as they dont turn up before that.

I get there about 1200 one day after booking a day off work and picking up the engagement ring from Marlow. There are people in the office, but the door is locked shut, and they're having their lunch and a could of cans of beer. A little disconcerting I thought but what the hey, its their business.

I waited around for an hour until the opened up, at which point there was quite a queue of people, which mostly appeared to be irate customers.

Once it was my turn, I asked about the necklace and the stone, the necklace had been done but the stone would be another week, and they'd post it through to me.

I took the necklace away and waited a week, then 2 weeks, then tried calling them to see where the stone was, guess what, the phones still not working.

At this point its been 5-6 weeks since the original visit. I manage to visit again and am told the same story, another week, etc....

At this point I forgot about the stone due to some things going on (getting engage et al), but still no stone.

Finally I remember - 8 months later, and try to chase this up, usual story from the store.....

So basically now the stone has gone and there is nothing I can do about it. My issue isn't just about the cost of the stone but also its sentimental value, it just cant be replaced.

So hopefully this will be a warning to someone not to use these people. I have no doubt that they are skilled at what they do, but they are disorganized, dishonest and just not trustworthy.

And considering the original posts are from 2004, and its now 2011, I don't think they are likely to change.
  • localboy31
    Options
    Well 5 weeks later, guess what - No phone calls, no goods, nothing.

I've chased up again and either cant get through, or my items are with the essay office.

STAY AWAY.
  • battleborn
    battleborn Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    Just avoid Birmingham as a whole :rotfl:
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    IMasters wrote: »
    As I stated earlier I was so happy with the quality of work and service I received from R J Turley that I searched online for a website so I could email a thank you, at that time this thread Was Already at the top of the first page on my browser, so I decided to add my experience to this thread.

What did you search for, and on what search engine?
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Four reviews on Birmingham Online -- two negative:

Unable to contact this company by telephone 0121 233 2220 or fax 0121 233 3777 - you still have my ring!!!!

Cannot contact this company by phone they just don't answer, have had a watch for repair 3 months, have gone in today still no watch they say its at Seiko uk and will be back tomorrow!!!!!!!! 5 times we have been in to the shop to get the watch WHERES THE WATCH?

How can you run a business without a functioning phone?
    Je suis sabot...
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2013 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Originally Posted by IMasters viewpost.gif
    Every business has satisfied customers and dissatisfied customers, clearly the satisfied customers are not being represented here. I'm a Satisfied customer, get over it.
    Have never traded with this company, but Google is my friend, as you rightly say (before your posts got suspiciously deleted - possibly as a result of some technical glitch ;)), every business has its customers, either satisfied or not. I tend to do a people count of happy\unhappy customers and I don't limit it to the threads of MSE (there are quite a lot of public forums to look at).

I am particularly cautious when I find the odd one or two, brand new members suspiciously going over the top about a company, but I don't cross them off the list entirely, I just add them all up. 1 out of 100 positive posts, would lead me to settle with the majorities verdict of negative, as in this case.

I wont go anywhere near the company as it sound far too unprofessional and untrustworthy, I base this off the majority of posts regarding this company (in ALL forums) .

If your happy with them, nobody is stopping you from doing business with them, feel free and good luck. I am neither happy nor unhappy with them, but as I wont be using them I don't have to be.

Should enough of these phantom customers appear on the various forums, and the scales lean more towards satisfaction, I may consider using them. Until such a time, I will choose those companies which have more positive public reviews.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bye bye most of the thread.

Maybe R J Turley gave MSE a phone call to complain about it.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Have never traded with this company, but Google is my friend, as you rightly say (eted - possibly as a result of some technical glitch [/I];))

The moderators have deleted his posts but they have deleted far more from people criticising his posts so there is no victory there, on either side.

I really think this should be dropped.

IMasters might well be a genuine customer.

RJ Turly may be one of many businesses who are very good as long as everything goes smoothly but a nightmare when anything goes wrong.

Which would explain why some think them excellent and others consider them a disaster.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure