A & L migration to Santander

Options

Comments

• SwipernoSwiping
    Options
    Nope I think this is down to their system update/merger, apparently, I checked my account - I have reverted to my maiden name.
    They'd only just managed to update it to my married name after loosing the copy of my Marriage Cert 3 times - only took them a year...
    Delightfully I suspect this will cause issues with the transfers and account closures - honestly what muppets.
  • Rochdale_Pioneers
    Options
    I'm also leaving for the Coop. Santander appear to have fired all their call centre staff as the queue times are now just silly. And a once brilliant internet banking system is now beyond slow.

Adios Santander. You can shove it.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    ddm18 wrote: »
    Just another thing worth checking on your A&L / Santander account, if anyone reading this thread is planning on staying with them - I'm in the process of transferring my account away, but happened to look at the address they have stored for me (Other Services > View / Update Personal Details), and find that my address is wrong.

It's a similar address to mine, but not actually right. The following details are made up, but the difference is the same, let's say my address is:

8 Bobbins Street,
    Cardiff,
    CF5 4BL

They have for me:

8 Bobin Street,
    Cardiff,
    CF14 8HT

So - a different postcode, and a different street; sure enough, according to Royal Mail that street and postcode combination exist - so they're (presumably) sending my post to a totally different address!!! Worse, if I try to change it, I get:

"Unfortunately, due to a temporary problem, your updated address/contact details cannot be processed at the moment. Please try again later, and be assured that this has not affected the security of any of your details."

Yeah. Right. It doesn't affect the security of my details to be SENDING ALL MY BANKING CORRESPONDENCE TO THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Of course, I can't say for sure that this is the result of the merger, as it's not something I check frequently, but they certainly had my address right until recently, looking at old correspondence from them.

As a software developer by trade, with a passing interest in IT security, my mind boggles at how this could happen; presumably there was no manual process here, the details have been copied over automatically, and it's made some kind of best guess at matching the address! I can't see anything more unbelievably and obviously terrible that they could have done; especially because my correct address exists, has existed for many years, and I've never had any problem with it being listed on any company's address system.

Can it get worse? Oh yes, of course it can; I now get to sit on hold to their call centre for the rest of the afternoon. Just how I love spending my weekends.

EDIT: I've made the call (amazingly I was only on hold for about 20 seconds), and spoke to an address expert there, who, to his credit, was very helpful and understanding, even saying that he'd have been much angrier than me, if it had happened to him. However, he said that I wasn't the first, and that they've seen several of the same problem! Great to know that they haven't bothered to do a check their end (which would be very easy), instead waiting for individual customers to discover; presumably merrily sending out newly issued debit cards + PINs in the meantime...

If any MSE'rs are reading this, I really think it would be worth a mention on the weekly email - from this thread and the poll last week it seems like plenty of your users are A&L customers, presumably because you were recommending them heavily, and you're in a position to make sure people are aware before it's too late.

You might be able to get compensation for breach of the Data Protection Act - £250 seems to be the going rate at the FOS ;)

opinions4u wrote: »
    About four years ago (as a branch manager) I offered a customer £100 for a similar breach, involving a family member. There was no financial loss to anybody.

The customer was still unhappy and declined the offer.

I rang my head office for advice, and was told that the FOS would typcially suggest a payment in the region of £250.

I was a little shell-shocked, but went out and offered my customer £200. He accepted.

So while you may be able to crank the offer up a little bit, there probably isn't much more that you can improve it by.

I reported Santander to the FOS recently and got £10 for 15p of incorrect interest - well worth it :D
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jhorsfield30
    Options
    I had an account with A&L for around 8 months, which operated perfectly, no surprise issues with santander.
    I opened an account with them on the premise of transferring 3 months ago, and the rate I was given wasn't the transfer rate. And all the promises of credit from Santander, surprise, mysteriously disappeared after opening an account.
    Not looking forward to dealing with them after the A&L branches all close down
  • simonb625
    Options
    Is anybody else having trouble accessing their bank accounts today? Have been on the phone for an hour today to be told it will be up up and running in an hour. Which it has so far been all day. I cant use my card, draw money. Santander is a complete shambles.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No problem!
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Options
    simonb625 wrote: »
    Is anybody else having trouble accessing their bank accounts today? Have been on the phone for an hour today to be told it will be up up and running in an hour. Which it has so far been all day. I cant use my card, draw money. Santander is a complete shambles.

Santander Abbey online banking is not working - JSP Processing Error

Santander A&L online banking is working
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • tonynotts
    tonynotts Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I was refused my money from my instant access Santander account last week, as I was advised I could not withdraw less than £30 cash from my account over the counter. There reason was to reduce queues, my reply was 'look behind me' there were no other customers in the branch.

They also advise me that customers cannot have a cheque for LESS than £1,000. This is ridiculous and very inconvenient. They expect customers to carry around up to £1,000 cash withdrawals on their person.

Just appalling service.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the following email can help: Complaints Chairman's CallBack <Complaints.ChairmanCB@santander.co.uk>

After losing my patience I made a complaint to Santander's Board.
    They referred the query to Santander UK and after explaining the problem in English (original complaint was in Spanish) a lady very apologetic and diligent gave me an update.

As some of the previous posts mentioned, there were two profiles so the Internet access could not get both (wonder why the Santander employees could not). Anyway they promise me on Friday it will get sorted out in les 48 hours... wow!I can see the account know. :T
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Options
    ddm18 wrote: »
    Just another thing worth checking on your A&L / Santander account, if anyone reading this thread is planning on staying with them - I'm in the process of transferring my account away, but happened to look at the address they have stored for me (Other Services > View / Update Personal Details), and find that my address is wrong.

It's a similar address to mine, but not actually right. The following details are made up, but the difference is the same, let's say my address is:

8 Bobbins Street,
    Cardiff,
    CF5 4BL

They have for me:

8 Bobin Street,
    Cardiff,
    CF14 8HT

So - a different postcode, and a different street; sure enough, according to Royal Mail that street and postcode combination exist - so they're (presumably) sending my post to a totally different address!!! Worse, if I try to change it, I get:

"Unfortunately, due to a temporary problem, your updated address/contact details cannot be processed at the moment. Please try again later, and be assured that this has not affected the security of any of your details."

Yeah. Right. It doesn't affect the security of my details to be SENDING ALL MY BANKING CORRESPONDENCE TO THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Of course, I can't say for sure that this is the result of the merger, as it's not something I check frequently, but they certainly had my address right until recently, looking at old correspondence from them.

As a software developer by trade, with a passing interest in IT security, my mind boggles at how this could happen; presumably there was no manual process here, the details have been copied over automatically, and it's made some kind of best guess at matching the address! I can't see anything more unbelievably and obviously terrible that they could have done; especially because my correct address exists, has existed for many years, and I've never had any problem with it being listed on any company's address system.

Can it get worse? Oh yes, of course it can; I now get to sit on hold to their call centre for the rest of the afternoon. Just how I love spending my weekends.

EDIT: I've made the call (amazingly I was only on hold for about 20 seconds), and spoke to an address expert there, who, to his credit, was very helpful and understanding, even saying that he'd have been much angrier than me, if it had happened to him. However, he said that I wasn't the first, and that they've seen several of the same problem! Great to know that they haven't bothered to do a check their end (which would be very easy), instead waiting for individual customers to discover; presumably merrily sending out newly issued debit cards + PINs in the meantime...

If any MSE'rs are reading this, I really think it would be worth a mention on the weekly email - from this thread and the poll last week it seems like plenty of your users are A&L customers, presumably because you were recommending them heavily, and you're in a position to make sure people are aware before it's too late.

Someone else has experienced exactly the same problem today - I wonder how many customers details they have mixed up ,add that to their Debit card / online banking failure today
    Hi, I need some advice.
    I have been with my bank, Alliance and Leicester, for some years.
    They have now been taken over by Santandare. Last week I discovered that since this happened my monthly statements have been sent to the incorrect address.
    I received one of my statements through the post last week, it had been opened and re-cealed.

I contacted my bank and explained what had happened. I was told that this happens sometimes.

I was not satisfied with this answer so I asked the customer services to raise a complaint. They did this and as yet I have had no reply. This was over 1 week ago.

Am I right to be a bit !!!!ed about this??? Is this in breach of the data protection act?

Or am I over reacting and should just let it drop.??
    hello again.
    In answer to the question from Dr cuckoo. I have not moved house nor changed address but the envelope and statement were addressed to my name but a completely different address appart from the road name.
    The only reason that the statement ever arrived was because the person who had received the letter had put the letter back into the post and written on the front try !"£$$%^ village instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure