Edible Xmas gifts that can be made well in advance.....

Options

Comments

• tinksy
    tinksy Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    how do you make vodka jam and how long does it last for? xx

oops sorry only just realised this was for me :D

I made the recipie on the back of the jam sugar packet with strawberries and then (as i didnt have much vodka!) potted up two jars from it. Then added a fairly generous shot of vodka, stirred and potted!

put into steralised jars and not opened it should last a while, mine is for xmas pressies.

It was an experiment and i dont like jam so havent tried but it smells of fruity vodka!
    Crafting for 2009 items done
    One patchwork blanket, two neck supports, one tea cosy, one knitted bunny, one knitted egg!
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I bought August issue of Woman and Home and that has a feature with recipes about making home made jams, bottled fruit, sloe gin, crab apple jelly, lemonade and tomato chutney.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi!

Just jumping in here to say that Lavender marmalade is scrummy - and seasonal at the mo, too :-)

Re: chutnies, I'm planning on making runner bean chutney, green tom chutney and spiced apple/ pear chutney (yummy). However, I also have a glut opf French/ green beans and wondered if anyone had ever chutnied them?

I shall also be making fudge (maybe attempting it with some baileys, as I have 3 bottles!) and truffles (definitely with Baileys!) and may try blackberry vodka/ gin.

(And I'll be making some soaps and bath melts, but they're not edible! :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • fly_dragon_fly
    fly_dragon_fly Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    Options
    we are going to make chilli jam and lavander jam and then a oyster candle ( we live on a beach full of them, the shells i mean) x
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    I have loads of lavender in the garden just now, and would appreciate any recipes for jam, marmalade etc which uses it
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

just popping in to see if anyone else has noticed the plums in their area ripening? I'm pretty sure the ones near me are (cherry plums as they're tiny)
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Kazzabell29
    Options
    Hi - Can I join in to this thread?? I am a complete novice at this homemade stuff, but am about to try (dum dum duuuum.....) red onion marmalade, and some toffee vodka.

Have just bought some really nice (and cheap) jute window bags from Isle Pac (link posted on this thread, but can't for the life of me remember who posted it!).

Will let you know how they turn out...
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all, hi new members of the thread :)

Smlsave, I haven't noticed the plums as I'm not near any trees but the blackberries are now beginning to ripen in the hedgerows. I even found some hiding in my garden and they tasted really nice. A while to go before they all start to be ready.
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to the thread Kazz :)

I've found a few blackberries too Angela, I'm pickign them and adding them to a bag in my freezer.

I picked a load of plums this weekend (about 4lbs) and I'm going to try and make plum wine :D hic. I need DH to pick another load as I'm too short and I'll have a go at jam too.

My Nan's given me a load of cucumbers so I'm looking for a pickle recipe if anyone has one? The ones I've found so far only need for a month or two.

Hope everyone's wel :)
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Kazzabell29
    Options
    Thanks guys ;)

Well my red onion marmalade didn't quite turn out as expected. It tastes ok, but I think that I had high expectations for it...nevermind.

Hmmm, might go blackberry picking in a little while and see how many I can get and will then make up my mind what I can do with it!:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure