Edible Xmas gifts that can be made well in advance.....

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
665 replies 102.6K views

Replies

• rik1978rik1978 Forumite
    96 Posts
    hi there, stumbled across this thread and wanted to say that I have been making food hampers as extra stocking fillers for my family for the past couple of years. they have gone down really well (which surprised me!!). we have included sloe gin, sloe vodka (sloe's picked when walking the dog in the New Forest), damson gin and damson vodka (damson's from our tree in the garden), damson jam (delia smith's recipe) which my family absolutely love, I eat it with toast instead of strawberry jam but my MIL has said it goes really well with cheese too!! Crab apple and chilli jelly (crab apples picked when walking the dog in the New Forest) recipe from http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/, I highly recomend this website, lots of ideas for jams/chutneys etc.

want to add to my repertoire this year. the cherry tree in our garden is covered in bright red fruits (first time since we moved here 4 years ago) I would love to make cherry jam and cherry brandy with these. my OH tasted one of them and it was bitter so not sure if they are actually edible, sems a shame to let them all go to the birds, the tree is absolutely covered!!
  • kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know how to make homemade chocolates with a filling?

I can make the solid chocolates, but what do you use for the centres? I want caramel, strawberry, orange, coffee etc like Roses :D

Any help much appreciated
  • SmlSaveSmlSave Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    sorry, can't help kms26 - never made chocs before

Would like to join the thread though :)

I've got elderflower champs in the shed and strawberry wine on the go. Going to have a go at tayberry gin/vodka this weekend :D

Tried to make strawberry jam but it didn't set! so I've bought some pectin and will try re-boiling it tonight.

I'd like to make some chutneys too
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kms26 wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know how to make homemade chocolates with a filling?

I can make the solid chocolates, but what do you use for the centres? I want caramel, strawberry, orange, coffee etc like Roses :D

Any help much appreciated

Do you mean like this -

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-chocolate-caramels.html

• kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    Anglea wrote: »

Yes thank you!!! R u calling me a dummie though? :rotfl: Cos you r so right :rotfl:
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kms, no I wasn't calling you a dummy LOL

I've got a recipe books that you might like, it's called The Usborne Yummy Little Cookbook, lots of chocolates, Christmas and Easter goodies. Not only how to make the food but how to wrap them as presents.

In advance of December I tried out a new recipe today -Cranberry Christmas Rocky Road cakes - taste very nice - made with cranberries and apple.

• kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    Anglea wrote: »
    kms, no I wasn't calling you a dummy LOL

I've got a recipe books that you might like, it's called The Usborne Yummy Little Cookbook, lots of chocolates, Christmas and Easter goodies. Not only how to make the food but how to wrap them as presents.

In advance of December I tried out a new recipe today -Cranberry Christmas Rocky Road cakes - taste very nice - made with cranberries and apple.

I have just had a look at it and ordered!! lol Thos Cranberry cakes sound lovely :p
  • HippychickHippychick Forumite
    738 Posts
    ✭✭
    How about oils with dried herbs or chillis added? you see them for sale in the run up to Christmas and they are quite expensive.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kms26 wrote: »
    I have just had a look at it and ordered!! lol Thos Cranberry cakes sound lovely :p

That was quick ordering LOL

btw that cranberry recipe wasn't from that book, it was from Good Food Magazine book - 101 Christmas recipes, hope I didn't confuse you.

• kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    Lol i know, Amazon let's you have a look at he book first and that was it i wanted it!!

No you didn't confuse me, will have to look that one up for sure :D
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals