Edible Xmas gifts that can be made well in advance.....

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
665 replies 102.6K views

Replies

• Hippychick wrote: »
    How about oils with dried herbs or chillis added? you see them for sale in the run up to Christmas and they are quite expensive.

I am pretty sure you have to be careful with flavoured oils etc as there is a risk of botulism

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamstoringpreparing/#A279852

sarah xxx
  • on a more positive note I am planning on making courgette pickle to give away [getting the recipe today from my mil] I like the look of the apple chutney as we have an apple tree in the garden

I am keen to find a chutney or preserving method for broad beans as my folks have an allotment, so I am trying to think of ways of using the vegetables that they will have a glut of

Oh and I intend on making some green tomato chutney as I have just been given some tomato plants and I think they will probably end up not doing so well as they are late

sarah xxx
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is everyone getting on?

• edited 21 July 2010 at 9:49AM
    skintbint_2skintbint_2 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    edited 21 July 2010 at 9:49AM
    hi just been reading through, loving some of the ideas. have seen a recipe on here somewhere for toffee vodka which sounded great!
    this has got me inspired to start thinking about christmas hampers as i always struggle with some ideas for parcels. will be making bramble jelly (free brambles in a couple of weeks!) and think i read that poundland has their sugar on at 59p which is a big saving. i also make macaroon bars/chunks (not the cake macaroon but like lees macaroon - really scottish thing!) all you need is a tattie, box icing sugar, chocolate and toasted coconut. tastes divine! i know that asda had large kilner jars on for 50p a while ago so it may be worth keeping an eye open for them and tesco had them quite cheap too- apricots in brandy? will try and think of some other ideas and post!
    skint x
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=597080&highlight=toffee+vodka
    link to toffee vodka (think it ends up similar to baileys)
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 Posts
    I am pretty sure you have to be careful with flavoured oils etc as there is a risk of botulism

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamstoringpreparing/#A279852

sarah xxx

But you could still make herb vinegars - perfectly safe once regular sterilising and care are taken.

I have made oils before - if you heat the oil and herb together (to get the flavour), strain out herb, use sterilised jars/bottles and seal well (and not keep for years but aim to use within 2-3 months), they are ok. But then, I am only saying what I do and not claiming to be an expert.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 Posts
    Oh, and onion marmalade I tend to have with tings like cold raost beef in sambos etc. Or alongside curries. Or stir a few spoons into stews for depth of flavour!! Yum!!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • kms26 wrote: »
    :xmastree:171 days until Christmas! Just to let you all know!!

less than that now! 149 days to the 18th not looking foward to it! x
  • SmlSaveSmlSave Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone :)

I've reboiled my jam and it still hasn't set but it is scrummy :) I'm sure people won't mind loose strawberry jam.

My lemonbalm gin knocks your socks off! :D the tayberry gin has been joined by raspberry vodka and rhubard vodka which are all nice pink colours and need to be strained this weekend.

I'm thinking I need to get hold of some small bottles to be able to given them as gifts and as such all my family and work collegues are letting me have any they have.

I've also got some raspberry vinegar on the go - can't wait to taste it!
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • can someone direct me to a really simple how to make jam, i'm getting married in December and to skint to spend £50 on every parent and grandparent then you have the brothers and the girlfriends blah blah blah

found some goregous bags http://www.islepac.co.uk/gift-packaging/jute-two-window-mini-bags.html which are really cheap but look posh so will give them those and them make them all button hearts haha

help help help! :) x
  • SmlSaveSmlSave Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you buy jam sugar it has a really simple recipe on the back of the pack. I think a general rule is equal amounts of sugar and fruit with lemon zest.

Have a wander to your libary hun, I found a really good preserve book at mine. Also the Good Food website is a good place to get recipes.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides