New attacks on I.B claimants

Options

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Can I again suggest that people check their facts before scaremongering? Whilst there are some informed posts on this thread, the great majority consist of people making assumptions with absolutely nothing to back them up.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    irishjohn wrote: »
    If reducing our debt, making our country more stable and developing policies which make the UK a good place to do business with, then the jobs will come as entrepreneurs and businesses see here as a good place to invest. The only jobs the government can invent are public service jobs and they have made it quite clear that that is not a road they will take. Thank goodness, having experienced public and private sector employment I know where I had the cushiest number.

But we dont know if it will reduce the UK'S debt, and we wont know for certain one way or another for several years.
    Myself personaly i doubt it!
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm on income support and DLA.

And at the moment i'm taking the stance of "i'll cross that bridge when i come to it".
    Of course, there's a little niggling worry in the back of my head that i might lose it all, but i'm not particularly fretting about it constantly.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • vision2009
    vision2009 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Can I again suggest that people check their facts before scaremongering?"
    This is not scaremongering, anyone naive enough to believe so is deluding themselves and others.
    The present and previous government's track record however speaks volumes!
    Time will tell.
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do all the claimants get so excited about attending a medical, the truth will come out, so nothing to fear, other than possibly a life of work ;)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Options
    Why do all the claimants get so excited about attending a medical, the truth will come out, so nothing to fear, other than possibly a life of work ;)

That's debatable. But what jobs would they do? 2.5 million + people who can work are applying for half a million jobs.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    That's debatable. But what jobs would they do? 2.5 million + people who can work are applying for half a million jobs.

Whether there are jobs available is irrelevant - if people are capable of working they should be on JSA rather than IB/ESA.
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    Whether there are jobs available is irrelevant - if people are capable of working they should be on JSA rather than IB/ESA.

Why are people so bothered about whether they are on ESA or JSA??

Both are money for nothing.

Granted one of them you have to "actively seek work". That's easy to flannel anyway. Just send blank sheets of paper to potential employers and get proofs of posting to show at your "review" - or deliberately fudge an interview by saying how unwell you are.

No employer will have you if you say at an interview "Hi! My name is Guertrude and I have had Bi-Polar for 20 years".
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Options
    No employer will have you if you say at an interview "Hi! My name is Guertrude and I have had Bi-Polar for 20 years".

They can't refuse to employ you on that basis. They can refuse to employ you if you don't meet the requirements for the job and have a disability that means there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    They can't refuse to employ you on that basis. They can refuse to employ you if you don't meet the requirements for the job and have a disability that means there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made.

Ohh you are so naive. It is true they can't or "shouldn't" discriminate against you on those grounds but behind closed doors - away from your earshot - they can.

To your face you will just be found "unsuitable" for reasons other than your disability - but ONLY behind closed doors will the real reason be said AND there is no way to prove it -

Plus if you are on JSA and don't want a job it's doing you a favour anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure