Reporting abuse - PM system?

Options

Comments

• iwanttosave_2
    Options
    I'm sorry but where does it say you are expected to police the place :confused:

Its one of those little unwritten rules, if we didnt report it, it would be there for ages.

And again I reiterate, the report function is set up for us to use, not them, so it should be whats best for us not them.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Ganyam
    Ganyam Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its one of those little unwritten rules, if we didnt report it, it would be there for ages.

And again I reiterate, the report function is set up for us to use, not them, so it should be whats best for us not them.
    Who's them and who's us... Isn't them us or are us them?
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
  • Exactly, seeing as we are expected to police the place, report spam ect then it should be set up for those using the service.

In fact that is what I think is this sites downfall, it takes ages for threads/posts to be removed, where as with this system, they are taken down straight away on all other forums, some much much bigger than this place.
    We have no expectation of people to "police the place", just make us aware of threads they feel need looking at.

A lot of the time many people dont realise a lot of the issues that threads cause behind the scenes and the hours put in to certain things. A lot of threads get dealt with that many never see either so it's unfair to class all threads together. Whilst one thread one member has reported might seem to take longer than expected to deal with, please remember that there are always a mulititude of other threads reported that the same member has probably not seen, all of which arrive in our inbox. The amount of reports we get per day and which we need to look into can often run into many hundreds, all of which need care and attention.

Remember that we constantly stress that we do have limited resources and we do employ forum team members part time so there will be times when things take longer to sort out. That said, this is a free forum and the moderation is paid for from Martin on your behalf for free and to enable this great resource.

We only ask that people are patient with the forum, we simply cannot be all places at all times.

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ganyam
    Ganyam Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hawk wrote:
    with a trumpety trump trump :rolleyes:
    trump, ya missed one.... Reported!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
  • iwanttosave_2
    Options
    Ganyam wrote:
    Who's them and who's us... Isn't them us or are us them?

:think:

:think:

:confused:
  • Former_MSE_Neil
    Options
    Hello all,

To further what MSE Forum Manager has said from a technical point of view. We have looked at the built in "form" based report system but that unfortunately does not work with our requirements. An individual "standalone" system whilst easy to create comes with inherent problems the major one being that it removes a level of authenticity about who the report has come from. If we require an email address to be entered or a username in a web based form to allow the forum team to follow up any claim it makes it imposible to verify the authenticity of the report at least with an email it is possible to see if it is a genuine report from a genuine account.

Whilst not ideal, the method we use at the moment does seem to work and most posts get dealt with in a reasonable amount of time taking into consideration the time constraints mentioned by MSE FM. We are always looking into ways of improving the system however the message board is VERY busy and with many thousands of new posts a week the proportion of abuse/spam is very minimal and hopefully unless you are online 24/7 you should only ever see a very small portion of that.

Hopefully you can bare with us on this front and those that do choose to report to us continue to do so because it allow the board to continue to grow and remain a pleasant place to come to.

Thanks

MSE Neil
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In answer to the OP..............

Could you not set up a free webmail account (Yahoo, Gmail), then set this up with Thunderbird? You wouldn't have to use this account for your normal email correspondents. You could use this only for hitting the report button on this site. You could also use this account as an extra 'spam' account (handy for applying for freebies).

I use a Yahoo and Hotmail account with an email client (pop 3 access), I've heard that you can also set up gmail with the same (I don't use this, so I couldn't tell you for sure).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ganyam wrote:
    It sounds like an easy way of complaing without really thinking it through, if its just a couple of clicks and that easy, everyone would be getting reported for abuse..

Some on here report abuse just because they dont like the person..
    so very true:eek:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    In answer to the OP..............

Could you not set up a free webmail account (Yahoo, Gmail), then set this up with Thunderbird?.......

because I don't want to!.......

:wall:

Obviously too much effort!

:rotfl:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • iwanttosave_2
    Options
    espresso wrote:
    :wall:

Obviously too much effort!

:rotfl:

Well why should she have to, just for the use of one forum?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business