Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hayfever can be treated with medication and the vast majority of symptoms are alleviated - so DLA would be refused!

I have ASD, a condition which cannot be treated with medication (although a few symptoms can be alleviated) and for which there is no cure. DLA helps me to achieve a modicum of independance on my good days...Nothing is going to do that on a bad day.
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what aids help you be more mobile when suffering depression, thats just conning the state..care needed maybe but mobility, come on
  • LindsayO
    LindsayO Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    burkey365 wrote: »
    jennie jack, thats my point exactly a DLA payment will not help those who say they cant get out of bed due to depression..this is an illness and not a disability and so they should not even contemplate applying for it..thats why there is a problem, too manypeople claim to have a disability when in fact they are just unwell...e.g how can the previous couple of people on this form moan about medicals because they are depressed or the former person on here saying they get HRC while holding down a job, yet ex soldiers who have lost limbs may really justify their claim

but people can be disabled because they are unwell.
    I have an illness, MS, that causes me to be disabled. I am in a wheelchair and can't walk, I also need help getting washed and dressed. So I have mobility and care needs, but I am also able to work
    LindsayO
    Goal: mortgage free asap
    15/10/2007: Mortgage: £110k Term: 17 years
    18/08/2008: Mortgage: £107k Mortgage - Offset savings: £105k
    02/01/2009: Mortgage: £105k Mortgage - Offset savings: £99k

• vision2009
    vision2009 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I smell ATOS will be doing the "medicals" as with the new ESA regime. It is purely being changed in order to remove as many people off DLA as possible to save them money. Nothing else.
    Unless people begin to realise what they are up to and make a stand against it then we will have the same situation as with the new ESA regime. ie vast numbers of once sick and disabled people are now "fit for work" or you no longer meet the requirements for DLA. It's more "moving the goalposts" to suit themselves.
    As usual we are an easy target as they know there will be no resistance to their vile plans.
    Many will have their DLA stopped as a result of these plans. Its so obvious what their intentions are and judging by their track record of propaganda and villification of the sick and disabled over the last few years they will do it by whatever means they can!!!
    Absoluetly evil.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what aids help you be more mobile when suffering depression, thats just conning the state..care needed maybe but mobility, come on

If I run away, I've got to get home somehow. If I go to A&E in times of a crisis, I need to get there and back somehow. Parents can't always take me and buses stop at around 7pm.

Mobility is more than about walking - there's safety too.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • kendalls_cave
    Options
    when i can't leave the house a taxi enables me to get to the day hospital, which the Mobilty bit of DLA helps pay for
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 7:23PM
    Options
    sh1305, your still not disabled in any way, you choose to run away, many people do and dont return home, its people like you who should have most to worry about. LindsayO, thats fair enough, you do have a disability that renders you physically unable to walk or care for yourself so i wouldnt worry you will pass the medical clearly..Kendall nothing physically prevents you from eating, i trust your legs can walk to the frige and arms and hands work to prepare a meal, this i not a disability..an illness yes...thats the grey area i am referring to which the government will sort out.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sh1305, your still not disabled in any way, you choose to run away, many people do and dont return home, its people like you who should have most to worry about. LindsayO, thats fair enough, you do have a disability that renders you physically unable to walk or care for yourself so i wouldnt worry you will pass the medical clearly

I do have a disability thank you! You're not my doctor, you have no idea of how I'm affected.

I don't choose to run away.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • kendalls_cave
    Options
    actually no i can not physically use a oven/knifes as I am not safe enough to which is why I eat at the hospital.. it would seem you think you know more about my illness (bipolar) than my consultant and medical team !
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • rosysparkle
    rosysparkle Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a medical assessment from an ATOS doctor last year, and I was awarded HRM indefinitely.

As long as the medical assessments are fair and done by qualified doctors, I don't think genuine claimants have anything to fear. During the three years before this comes in, I think disability advocacy groups should be pressuring the government to sort out the problems that ATOS have had, and ensuring that the medical assessments are both rigorous and done with understanding of disability issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure