Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    SUMMER wrote: »
    burkey365..... How shocking are you..... who are you the disability police ? you have no right WHAT SO EVER to say if these people are or are not entitled to disability , you do not know anything about their lives or the struggles day to day they have so please think before you add more offensive posts.

Exactly, how dare he post his opinion on a public forum, there is no penalty too severe for such a crime. 20 years without parole I say unless he agrees to tow the party line and avoid having independent thoughts.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter gets DLA aswell!
    Although.......
    I wonder how many of you moaning here voted Tory?

Most if not all......make your bed and lie in it
  • kendalls_cave
    Options
    i didn't vote tory, i remember what the great iron lady did to the country ;)
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • Trasthmatic
    Trasthmatic Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    tonycarew wrote: »
    Out of interest can anyone tell me roughly how many people nationwide receive DLA.
    The powers that be are having huge difficulties prosessing ESA claims/medicals,this is before the forthcoming Incapacity benefit migration
    which I believe concerns approximately 2.5 million people.I simply can't imagine how logistically the Government can implement a medical for all DLA claiments.

Currently there are approximately 4.75 milion people receiving DLA and AA. It costs the taxpayer about £30 billion a year.
    I would have thought it obvious that the reason this isnt coming in till 2013 is that it will take that long to get the processes and staff ready for such a massive undertaking. It shows that government hasnt made this decision likely.
    What a lot of people on this forum forget isthat they are lucky enough to live in a country that had DLA. Most dont. You do not have a right to this benefit you are fortunate that this country saw fit to support its disabled population.
    The government has the right to change the assessment criteria whenever it likes. It even has the right to end the benefit if it wants to.
    Seeing as most European countries dont have a DLA/AA equivalent I doubt that the much mentioned European Court of Human Rights could do anything about it if they did.
    Instead of !!!!!ing about a "witch hunt" that hasnt even happened yet be grateful that you get at least some of the support you need.
    Most genuine claimants will have nothing to fear from an assessment and those that are failed by the system will have the independent appeals process just as they do now.
    A lot of people on this forum need to wake up and smell the coffee. You dont get to say how your benefit is assessed. You just have to hope you meet the criteria.
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    exactly BLT your right, that person sh1305 saying he should get dla because sometimes they cant be bothered to cook, or run way and need a lift back home, whats that all about, we all feel like that if had a bad day or skint or hungover...there would be no takeaway businesses without the old "cant be bothered to cook" stop saying you need dla to stop you running off, i have a teenage son who cant be bothered to cook and disappears plus he wont tidy up, cant manageto find the dirty laundry basket and is unaware how to make it from table to sink to washhis dish, should he claim dla..sh1305 ya joking matey
  • LindsayO
    LindsayO Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    Currently there are approximately 4.75 milion people receiving DLA and AA. It costs the taxpayer about £30 billion a year.

Osborne only mentioned DLA and not AA, so not sure if the new system will apply to AA, which I think accounts for more of the £30 billion cost than DLA
    LindsayO
    Goal: mortgage free asap
    15/10/2007: Mortgage: £110k Term: 17 years
    18/08/2008: Mortgage: £107k Mortgage - Offset savings: £105k
    02/01/2009: Mortgage: £105k Mortgage - Offset savings: £99k

• karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to clear a few things up.... Particularly working and claiming DLA....

I have been involved in DLA quite heavily recently as a new friend of mine with MH problems receives it. I was quite prejudice against this until I got to know them and understand more about the benefit and her overall situation.

Believe me I was so Ignorant. That makes me feel bad.

This is someone I work with. They get DLA and work. Yes the crime of it. But think of it carefully....

You are entitled to the Lower Rate of Care if you are unable to cook a main meal. This is NOT a convenience meal or Pot Noodle. In her situation she is in danger due to self harming with utensils.

To be entitled to The Higher Rate of Care you require supervision Day and Night. At work she gets Supervision for the 4 hours she is there.

Another interesting fact is that on the DWP website it clearly states that you do not have to be receiving the care but have the need.

For my friend her DLA has turned her life around. The mobility component has clearly provided help with her Mobility as she is now able to take on some work and get around more easily. In a way the DLA and her wages provide a standard of living. The Care component has also turned her life around as she has someone check on her from a Local care company each evening ensuring she takes her medication and she is OK. She also has a vulnerable person's GPS tag. The subscription to which is paid from her DLA.

Working also makes her feel better. The DLA has enabled her to work by paying for things that have lifted her condition.

She is a lovely person. She is fantastic and I am so proud of her - but then again I think she is HOT too :)
  • vision2009
    vision2009 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    They are simply "moving the goalposts" as usual. So maybe we should be aware of that fact when these new "medicals" are thrust upon us!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad: Two can play at their games.
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    karatedragon, if she is on hrc as you say how can she be cared for day and night and work...as i understand it your supposed to need 24hr care...as for thinking shes hot you'll get further telling her not us mate
  • broxiebear1
    broxiebear1 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    Well that will be fun then, I have MS, my memory is fried, i'd like to see them find me a job that i can do, without the great urge to fall asleep, and i don't need to use my brain what so ever.

I can see those that have illnessess/diseases that impare life will suffer and those layabouts who fake back pain (not ones who genuinely do have) will win again
    my partner wife to be has dla high rate (for life) motability not a week goes by when she is not in pain numerious tablets and pain killers waiting to go to hospital for her hip what happens to her if they say shes fit to work and loses her dla surely she will be on some other benifit then if she gets a job how can she work with all the drugs she has to take
    i blame all and every one of you that voted for the tories i we in scotland should know we remember thatcher
    give us our independance now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport