Find a penny

Comments

• natters_2
    natters_2 Posts: 306 Forumite
    I always pick up coins that are on the floor - over a year it can mount up to a considerable amount - nothing like a bit of free money!
  • nichart20
    nichart20 Posts: 957 Forumite
    My OH and I were out on works christmas do in leeds, walking back to the train station by the cash mashine found £20 walked a bit further down outside another £20 note, guessing they were a little tipsy :D
  • DizzleUK
    DizzleUK Posts: 569 Forumite
    There was a guy at my old place of work who was one banana short of a bunch. Every day on his walk to and from work he passes a number of telephone boxes and he religiously checks every one for left change. Reckoned he averaged a fiver a month.

As for me, I found £20 in the local Morrisons car park about 5-6 weeks ago. I usually find 2 or 3 notes on the street each year :beer:
    Remember this: nothing worth doing is easy.

• amy.c_3
    amy.c_3 Posts: 7 Forumite
    my friend and i once found a £20 note in the street and promptly headed straight for the pub.
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    A few months ago I found £70! on the floor of a petrol station... I picked it up after many people had trampled over it thinking it was leaves.. looked around for a possible money dropper, no-one around, so I left. I was so hard up aswell, I couldn't believe it!
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • A few years ago when out shopping, my teenage son found a £20 note, no-one was around and I encouraged him to hand it in to the shop assistants in case someone came back to reclaim it. After a couple of weeks we popped back in the shop to enquire if the money had been reclaimed - No it hadn't it was being kept in their safe - this was repeated over approx 6mths when we would on occasion visit the shop. The assistants eventually started to recognise us and looked 'shifty' when we approached them, as I stated earlier after approx 6mths on one visit the manageress told us that they had been informed to pass the money to their Head Office and there was no point in us persuing the matter.
    My son was a student and I felt it would have been nice for him to have had the cash as it wasn't reclaimed.
    Rightly or wrongly, my lesson learnt - I NOW TELL MY CHILDREN IF YOU SEE ANY MONEY SHOVE IT IN YOUR POCKET!:o
    When the 5 red lights go out ............ I'm off racing!

Saving for British GP
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    A few years ago when out shopping, my teenage son found a £20 note, no-one was around and I encouraged him to hand it in to the shop assistants in case someone came back to reclaim it. After a couple of weeks we popped back in the shop to enquire if the money had been reclaimed - No it hadn't it was being kept in their safe - this was repeated over approx 6mths when we would on occasion visit the shop. The assistants eventually started to recognise us and looked 'shifty' when we approached them, as I stated earlier after approx 6mths on one visit the manageress told us that they had been informed to pass the money to their Head Office and there was no point in us persuing the matter.
    My son was a student and I felt it would have been nice for him to have had the cash as it wasn't reclaimed.
    Rightly or wrongly, my lesson learnt - I NOW TELL MY CHILDREN IF YOU SEE ANY MONEY SHOVE IT IN YOUR POCKET!:o

As a compromise why not just hand your details to the shop and say you've found a sum of money. If anyone comes in claiming they've lost some then they can contact you - let you know the amount, and if it tallies then the rightful owner gets their money back.

If no one contacts you or no one gives you the right amount then you get to keep the money with a clear conscience :)

Sou
  • Thank you Sou, what an excellent idea! :T I would never have thought of that, I think my conscience would sit very comfortably with your suggestion.

Will show your post to both my sons :D
    When the 5 red lights go out ............ I'm off racing!

Saving for British GP
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I found 4 x £10 notes on the floor of my local market early one morning last year. I was quite skint at the time, however I thought how gutted i'd feel if it was my money and someone pocketed it, so I handed in to the information desk. They said if it wasn't claimed in a month they'd phone me and I could claim it.

All my mums workmates thought I was stupid for handing it in and said I should have kept it. Well 1 month later I get a phonecall saying no-one had claimed it and if I went in it was mine :)
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • roshydoshy
    roshydoshy Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I once found a tag heuer watch on the train and handed it in to the ticket office - i was promptly told by someone that worked there a week later their boss was showing off a 'new' posh watch grrr!!!

but last year at V festival (so all you festivalees carry on reading!) i found half of a £5 note! which made us laugh and 2 steps on I found a £20 followed by £10 about 10 metres after that. Me and my friend couldn't believe our luck and the 2 ladies behind us (we didn't know them) asked if they could go ahead of us to see if they could find any money :rotfl: after about 10mins and nothing found, they dropped back behind us (we are fast walkers) and we proceeded to find another £40!

But, to make things fair, i split the money with my friend (it was a festival so no chance of knowing who had dropped the money - loads were walking over it) and then bought myself a lilo for sleeping with and my sister a hoodie (i'd met her earlier and she was complaining about the cold). Soo ended up not much for myself! but I will definately be keeping an eye out in future!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure