Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Err....?

I don't see what this has got to do with the thread or article?

Sorry, new to this area of the website and perhaps I've posted my enquiry in the wrong place. .....would someone be able to move this somewhere more appropriate?
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    Coach company sell insurance costing over £30. With Nhs providing medical treatment it seems very expensive. I know that luggage and cancellation are a consideration but don't know where to look. Has anyone else taken out UK cover for a coach holiday ? Would the more usual European travel cover this? I am under 65 and have no medical conditions.
    As you are asking about travel insurance, it seems relevant for this thread.

I agree with you that £30 seems a lot for travel insurance for 5 days hol in the UK. You don't need medical cover, so it is really just cover for lost luggage and maybe cancellation. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

But if you do want cover, you can get it for a UK trip for a few pounds. Try a search here: https://www.comparethemarket.com/travel-insurance/single-trip/
    koru
  • yoghurt
    yoghurt Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    Please can you someone recommend a policy which covers a 2 week family holiday to Japan from 16th December 2017 which includes cover if the foreign office declares it is not safe to visit (or is that something normally covered anyway)?

Many thanks
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2017 at 5:38PM
    Options
    yoghurt wrote: »
    Hello
    Please can you someone recommend a policy which covers a 2 week family holiday to Japan from 16th December 2017 which includes cover if the foreign office declares it is not safe to visit (or is that something normally covered anyway)?

Many thanks
    LV Premier would seem to cover cancellation due to FCO advice. They also cover airlines going bust (Monarch) and cancelling flights (Ryan). They are not cheap, but they seem to be good cover.

Edit: I notice they say "We won’t cover you for any claim that is caused by or is in any way related to ...war..." So if the FCO advice was in relation to the risk of KJU declaring war against Japan, would this be "related to war" and thus not covered? I would check.
    koru
  • yoghurt
    yoghurt Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks Koru

I had a look and under the section "if you need to cancel
    your trip before you travel" it says

Cover for trip expenses you’ve paid but haven’t used and
    can’t get back from anywhere else if you need to cancel
    your trip because:
    – you, a relative, someone you’re going to stay with or
    have booked to travel with, dies, is seriously ill
    or seriously injured
    – the FCO advises against travel to your planned
    destination
    So I think it is covered if the FCO warns against travel and we cancel the holiday before we go (and its currently ok by them when we take out cover)
  • justinf1967
    Options
    Can anyone advise

Just had a "banging head against wall" phone conversation with an insurer claims department

I registered and submitted a claim under a Coverwise travel insurance policy which is processed by AXA Insurance. The policy was purchased on line and paid for online with all the details of my family and payment typed in as requested.

Following an event on holiday I, i needed to start a claims process. I submitted all the required claim information including PDF of quotations and paperwork and confirmed my details as per the original policy - printing my name on the claim form.

The claims handler then took 10 days to come back andsay that I hadn't physically signed the form and I quote "Please note that your disclaimer form should be signed handwritten. Kindly do needful"????

I asked the to confirm why they need a copy of a signature which they have never seen - when the policy was bought remotely and all information has been provided. The only answer given was that was their process and I must sign the form.

Commercially, electronic forms and emails are used to authorize contracts/agreements - Is there any legal reason why a physical signature must be applied to an insurance claim form?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Can anyone advise

Just had a "banging head against wall" phone conversation with an insurer claims department

I registered and submitted a claim under a Coverwise travel insurance policy which is processed by AXA Insurance. The policy was purchased on line and paid for online with all the details of my family and payment typed in as requested.

Following an event on holiday I, i needed to start a claims process. I submitted all the required claim information including PDF of quotations and paperwork and confirmed my details as per the original policy - printing my name on the claim form.

The claims handler then took 10 days to come back andsay that I hadn't physically signed the form and I quote "Please note that your disclaimer form should be signed handwritten. Kindly do needful"????

I asked the to confirm why they need a copy of a signature which they have never seen - when the policy was bought remotely and all information has been provided. The only answer given was that was their process and I must sign the form.

Commercially, electronic forms and emails are used to authorize contracts/agreements - Is there any legal reason why a physical signature must be applied to an insurance claim form?

i don't think there is but then again its not illegal to ask.
    Somewhere in the terms and conditions I'm sure they will point this out to you.
    Why not do what they ask to get your claim moving?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you buy a ticket or holiday package, it is a common practice that the travel agents / operator is adding 2% if the ticket paid by Credit Card but free of charge for payment by DD. So a ticket/holiday package of 1500 (say), it will be an additional of £30.

If you already have a Nationwide Flex insurance which Cover EU + Extended worldwide cover for outside EU coverage, is the S75 still needed considering there is already quite comprehensive travel insurance ??

Any comment on this will be very much appreciated.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not familiar with Nationwide Flex but I would always pay for at least part of a holiday with a credit card. You can avoid the full CC fee by just paying for part of it by credit card and the rest by debit card.
  • ericthelobster
    Options
    Regarding Martin's exhortation to "Always buy travel insurance early" in today's MSE email...

I don't think this is necessarily the no-brainer that MSE would have us believe actually. Personally, I've just booked a short holiday abroad next spring, for which I will definitely be wanting medical insurance. I deliberately haven't bought it yet though, and won't be doing so until the week I travel.

Reason being that by far the most likely reason for my trip to be cancelled is that my mum is in her mid-eighties and although she is presently well, realistically she could get ill and/or die at any time, meaning that I'd not travel. And equally realistically, you can be sure that under those circumstances any insurancer would scream "Bzzt... pre-existing condition!" (it will inevitably be one of the several typical 'elderly person' conditions that she currently has that would bring about her illness or death).

All that would happen if I buy insurance now, is that I'd lose the cost of the premium in addition to any unrecoverable holiday costs. So I'm not going to...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback